Return to the Rose Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Little garden visitor

Posted by Lothlin 5b (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 6, 12 at 19:01

I went out this evening to survey the roses and check for japanese beetles and found this guy hitching a ride on ELLE

still can't see it? POWER OF ZOOM!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Little garden visitor

• Posted by TNY78 7a-East TN (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 6, 12 at 21:39

Hmm...I was getting some cuttings ready to mail earlier and a very similar looking spider was hanging out on Star of the Republic! I wonder if it's poisonous?

Tammy

o

I don't think so - some digging reveals that it's almost certainly a crab spider, and the wonder of google says they're not dangerous to humans. That said, I'm hoping he takes out some japanese beetles for me (though he may be on the small side...)

o

Great bloom close-up pics of the rose and the spider!

o

I'm always happy to see spiders on my roses since they're carnivorous. All spiders are poisonous but, except for black widows and brown recluse spiders, only in tiny amounts that won't harm anyone, and the nasties don't hang around on roses, so they're strictly beneficial.

Very nice photos!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here