Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

Rose 'Carding Mill'

Hi! Its raining cats and dogs outside...so not much to do. Would anyone mind if I posted some pics of my Carding Mill rose? I was lucky enough to find this rose at a local nursury last spring. It was bareroot, but loaded with blooms. I mulched it good in the late fall, but he had a lot of dead on him this spring. I cut him way back and he grew back pritty quickly. Its not as vigorous as I had expected. Maybe it would do better in a higher zone? Its only gotten a few inches more new growth on it, and only a couple more buds. Its less than three feet around so far. The blooms are gorgeous though! The color, though not much like whats posted in the DA catalog, is beautiful too. Its a mix of diffrent colors. It has a lot of pink in it, and the center is a mix of peaches and apricots. I find that it takes on more of the apricot-peach tones when its hot, and pinker ones in cooler weather. Its scent is very unusual... Mr. Austin says in his catalog that this rose has a myrrh fragarance. Ive never smelled myrrh, but to me this rose smells like cherry-cough drops with a hint on anice (no I am not crazy, several people have agreed with me on this point). I am a bit dissapointed with its un-vigorous growth, but the color definitly makes up for it!

{{gwi:1269697}}

{{gwi:1269699}}

{{gwi:1269700}}

{{gwi:1269701}}

The bottom two pics were taken in the earlier part of spring when it was cooler out; the rose's color is much more pink here.

Thanks for looking!

CMK

Comments (14)

• canadian_rose
    16 years ago

Here in zone 3a - three feet is a respectable size! LOL

Looks amazing to me!! I've just started to REALLY like apricot roses.

Thanks for the look,
    Carol

• ramblinrosez7b
    16 years ago

Very pretty roses Christin, thanks for sharing.

• iris_gal
    16 years ago

What a lovely rose - great photos. My Austin 'Heritage' took 3 years+ to get settled in and I'm in a mild winter zone! I think it needed more water than the nearby HT's.

• jean_ar
    16 years ago

Its a very pretty rose.I love the apricots and peach colors.Very nice,thanks for sharing it.

Jean

• twohuskies
    16 years ago

I love those colors and the blooms are beautiful.

• katefisher
    16 years ago

Wow! I love that rose. Someone posted some pictures of one a short while back and it took my breath away. The photos of your rose are just lovely.

May I ask CMK are you in Washington State? I am curious if you have spray this beauty or not.

Thanks for the photos. Inspiring.

Kate

• carla17
    16 years ago

Carding Mill is lovely.

Thanks for posting.

Carla

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    16 years ago

Rain in August--I can't imagine it. Nice rose and great pictures. It looks like a good one.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

HI! Thanks for looking everybody!
    -katefisher, yes I am in Washington State, Spokane actually. And no I dont spray. Last year I had blackspot on some of my roses, but everythings really doing great this year!
    -hoovb, we dont normally get much rain here in summer, but we definitely needed it! There were lots of wildfires around here, but the rain put it out.
    CMK

• katefisher
    16 years ago

CMK:

So oodles of rain in Spokane during the summer? That's nutty! I lived in Spokane for many years (on the South Hill). I imagine it has changed much since then. Back then I did not garden but do recall the conditions so that gives me hope. Really the climate in Northern CA is not all that different except here we have a lot less of that endlessly cold weather than you do in your neighborhood. I might just have to try 'Carding Mill'.

Thanks.

Kate

• teka2rjleffel
    16 years ago

Beautiful, just beautiful. I love the close up, showing the different shades.
    Nancy

• socalcook
    16 years ago

Thanks for the beautiful photos. I planted this rose a few months ago and have been wondering if the rose I have is actually Carding Mill. The blooms have the same shape as yours, but the color is really orange. Have you found this to be the case with your shrub at all?

• sam0738
    16 years ago

We need more posts from zone 5. It is great that you showed us. Your pictures are nice . Austin roses have so many petals and are so elegant. I like the colors. And if you protect it well in winter with a rose cone or leaves or burlap or something, it will comeback even better next year. That is good for the first year. Feel free to show us more. It is like candy for the eyes.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi!
    -socalcook, my rose does take on a more apricot-peach color in hot weather. But I cant say that its really very orangy. Could it maybe be another DA rose? I know of several others (from my long experience in drooling over the DA catalog) that resemble Carding Mill. The newer 'Crown Princess Margareta' is an orange-apricot color. 'Leander' is also of some resemblance.
    Thanks for all the responce guys! I looked out at CM a few days ago and it has two more buds on him. I was hoping for a bigger second flush, but I wont complain! Ill get a couple more pics if I can.
    -sam0738, yes we do need more posts from the colder zones. I know Im always wondering if a rose will do well here or not; Id like to hear from others on their experience. I have a couple of nice shots of 'Teasing Georgia', maybe ill post them if nobody minds.
    CMK