Return to the Rose Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
From cutting to rose bush

Posted by Maude80 none (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 5, 12 at 19:58

Hi everyone,

I had the opportunity to photograph and document some cuttings that I made of a florist's rose and I wanted to share them with everyone because I thought it was kind of cool. The original flowers came from Costco in July of 2011. They were a beautiful bouquet of light red, kind of melon colored roses (a color that is a bit difficult to describe).

Anyway, it was my first time doing cuttings so I basically just followed the instructions I found online. I made cuts with a razor in the stem and dipped it in rooting powder. Then I put them in dirt and put them in a plastic bag.

Here is a picture of the original flowers that I started with.

Photobucket

This is a photo of when the poor plant was attacked by spider mites (still can't figure out where those monsters came from.

Photobucket

This is the very first rose that it produced while it was on the window.

Photobucket

This is a photo of it on the dining room table several months before I planted it outside.

Photobucket

This is it, shortly after I planted it.

Photobucket

Now the flowers are starting to grow.

Photobucket

And a couple of glamour pics.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I hope everyone likes the pics:) Also, if anyone can identify the name of the flower, that would be fabulous:)

Maude

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: From cutting to rose bush

Wow! I didn't even know that would work! Very cool, and I can see why you would want to do it, that is a very nice rose!

o

• Posted by TNY78 7a-East TN (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 5, 12 at 23:09

Really nice! I just had my first flowers on cuttings I rooted earlier this Spring! Exciting isn't it!

Tammy

o

Absolutely, it was very cool to see those first flower buds. At first they were so small I didn't even notice, but when I finally realized, it was thrilling. Plus, when it's from a cutting, you sort of end up feeling like the parent. I remember growing plants from lima beans when I was in the 3rd grade. It fascinated me then and it still kind of does.

Maude

o

I didn't know that you could do that, either, and I'm impressed. Your rose is a lovely one. Thanks for the informative post. Diane

o

Good job! What a lovely rose you have grown.
Renee

o

This is amazing, you got such a lovely rose in just 1 year.
It'a a lovely shade and so close in colour to the original. Nice going.

o

To get the name, ask your particular Costco who their rose wholesaler is, and then go to that wholesaler's site and look at their color selections. You might find your rose's name that way. On the other hand, 99% of the florist roses are never registered with the ARS, so it probably will still not be a recognized name for rose shows and at nurseries and the like. But still it's fun to know.

Here's a typical rose florist site:

Here is a link that might be useful: Pajarosa Rosesin California

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 6, 12 at 12:02

Great job, Maude!!! It's beautiful!

o

Hi Maude - you did a fantastic job! Thank you for sharing your progress with us. And I do hope you find the name of your lovingly rooted rose plant.

Kasie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here