Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_dark_lady

A few Sunday roses

the_dark_lady
11 years ago

Hurray! We had almost 3" of rain yesterday. Actually, it was the first good rain this summer.

Please take a look at my photos made today.

The Pilgrim is simply adorable

{{gwi:1205402}}

Thumbs Up is a little bit pale - you can hardly see pink stripes on yellow petals

{{gwi:1270244}}

Star of the Republic

{{gwi:1270247}}

And another rose from Antique Rose Emporium. It is one of freebees I received this summer.

This rose is a charmer. Joe Woddard

{{gwi:1197296}}

The Wife of Bath

{{gwi:1270248}}

Elizabeth Stuart. Wonderful rose, good bloomer, sweet fragrance.

{{gwi:1270249}}

My favorite 'white' English Rose - Windermere

{{gwi:1270250}}

A dear friend gave me this rose as a birthday gift. Very pretty.

Winter Lodge

{{gwi:1208122}}

Lady of Shalott

{{gwi:1270251}}

Thank you very much for looking.

Marina

Comments (16)

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Oh, that Joe Woddard is a charmer! I like the form very much and the color is yummy!

• bethnorcal9
    11 years ago

Beautiful blooms! Ok, now I definitely have to get LADY OF SHALOTT!

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, ladies! :)

Beth, you definitely need Lady of Shalott. The rose is a beauty.
    Here are a few more photos of her for you.

{{gwi:1199237}}

{{gwi:1199235}}

{{gwi:1270252}}

{{gwi:1270253}}

• organicgardendreams
    11 years ago

Marina, your are showing us quite some lovely roses here :-)! I find Windermere, Elizabeth Stuart and, of course, Lady of Shallot especially beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

Christina

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Really nice color on Winter Lodge...I haven't heard of that one before. I also grow Star of the Republic and really fell in love with its health and vigor...great ARE rose!

How do you find The Pilgrim in terms of BS resistance? I was torn between it and Teasing Georgia, and went with Teasing Georgia...but wonder how The Pilgrim would do? I have a Golden Celebration that is horribly stricken with BS and may replace it with an Austin more resistant...

Tammy

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tammy, my The Pilgrim (actually two of them) do have some BS, not too bad since I don't spray at all. I think about 15-20% of leaves are affected by this disease.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

I enjoy so much seeing photos of your beautiful roses. They are just superb. If I had to pick a favorite in this group, I think it would be Joe Woddard. So unique and charming, but the the Lady of Shallot is a close second. Those photos of her were truly eye popping.

I hope you won't mind a couple of questions. I checked out Augusta Luise on Hortico, and HMF. I am so smitten with this rose. Do you like her a lot? How is AL's rebloom? And lastly, about how wide does she get for you? Thanks so much, and thanks for your continued postings of your beauties. Diane

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Thank you for the lovely pics of Lady of Shalott. I planted her back in late May, and she almost instantly became my new favorite in the garden. Certainly, the most continual bloomer in my garden--and absolutely lovely blooms. So far, I've had no disease problems with her at all.

Glad to hear the good report on The Pilgrim. I also planted it in late May, but it hasn't been as obliging a bloomer as my Lady of Sahlott--just started blooming about a week ago. I just love how soft its light yellow/white blend is. I hope mine is going to begin blooming more vigorously like yours. No disease problems on it to report yet. I expect it to be gorgeous by next year.

Kate

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Diane, thank you very much for your kind comments.

Augusta Luise does not grow wide for me. Bushes are rather narrow and upright. I grow three together and they look fabulous. I really love this rose. It has that changing color, ruffled petals and the blooms last quite long. The rebloom is good, too. If I have it in check by timely deadheading, it repeats very well, and even when I skip deadheading, it still produces new flowers.

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kate, my The Pilgrim is also rather new in my garden - I planted it in Spring 2011. It didn't develop into a climber or a large shrub. Still very petit, but I really love (just like you) this soft yellow color, abundance of blooms an quite good health.
    My Lady of Shalott (three bushes planted as a group) are about three years old (I've got them the first year they've been released in UK). They are awesome - nice fountain shaped bushes, about 5 1/2' tall, blooming their head off.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info on Augusta Luise. I have hope that I can squeeze her in a good spot. I'm thinking I'd better get the Lady of Shallot, too, thanks to your lovely photos. Diane

• iris_gal
    11 years ago

Luscious roses. Windermere is the one for me.

• User
    11 years ago

Lady Of Shalott is a beauty indeed,..all fantastic pictures of her,..The Pilgrim is awesome,..i have a white rose,.. Ice Cream,..which i placed on top of my list of likes,..your rose The Pilgrim has certainly gone to the top of my list,..all stunning pictures.

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you very much, Iris Gal and Glengarry23!

Glen, I am sure, you will not be disappointed with The Pilgrim. Outstanding yellow rose!

Marina

• canadian_rose
    11 years ago

Wow!! I love all your photos of Lady of Shallot!!! Amazing!!! The 2nd from the bottom is jaw droppingly beautiful!! I mean come on!!! That pic should be entered in a photography competition. WOW!!

Your Star of the Republic looks like a great big orange hanging on a tree. Fabulous!
    Thank you!!!
    Carol

• harborrose_pnw
    11 years ago

Really beautiful shots, Marina. Thank you for sharing them. Gean

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz