Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Mellow Yellow

sara_ann-z6bok
10 years ago

This Mellow Yellow bloom is such a pretty yellow. Think it's my best one so far!

Comments (24)

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Wow!! Talk about an electric looking yellow!! I've always wondered if that is a good rose. It's always at the greenhouse I haunt. What do you think of it?
    Carol

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carol - I know it looks really yellow. It's considered a softer shade of yellow than some. Maybe our weather lately has caused it to be a brighter shade. Seems to be a good bloomer, but some of the flowers have been on the small side, but it is just getting established. I like it for the most part. I order roses from several companies here in the US, this one came from Witherspoon. Actually I ordered 2 Midas Touch roses and they let me know that one of them wasn't good enough to ship and asked me if Mellow Yellow would be a suitable substitute and I said it would be, so I didn't even order it intentionally. I don't really mind when companies substitute, just gives me a chance to try something new. Midas Touch is a brighter yellow, have grown it for years, love it. It doesn't have very many petals, but it's a good bloomer and looks pretty on the bush. My other yellows are Ch Ching (not sure about it yet). and Sunsprite. Sunsprite, is a floribunda, has a lovely fragrance, it clusters and also has some blooms one to a stem. The flowers are a nice size for a floribunda, love it! I do think Mellow Yellow will be a worthy contender in my garden from what I've seen so far. It just needs to get established good.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mellow Yellow was looking pretty colorful yesterday, took this picture.

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Wow! Lots of flowers. You got a winner.

Have patience with your Ch-Ching. Mine is fabulous!! My pictures are all still in my camera, and I'm not sure how to unload. My family will help me one of these days. :) Tons of flowers, lots of branches. But the first year - not so much.
    Carol

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carol, thank you. Glad to know your Ch-Ching is doing good. Some roses take a little longer. Would love to see pictures when you get the chance. I get help from family on such things too, especially my 15 year old granddaughter, she's great!

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Yeah, my 17 year old daughter is really good at that too - but she's on a holiday now. :)

• paulieinct
    10 years ago

wow............That overhead shot is stunning.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Paul

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

Nice roses... :)

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Jim

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mellow Yellow blooming again, doesn't look too bad considering the heat we've had recently.

• lesmc
    10 years ago

That is one hot looking rose....love it! Yellows seem a bit difficult for me. South Africa has been outstanding and my Gold Medal is nice but not a great bloomer. Mellow Yellow is one for me to consider. Thanks Sara-Ann. Lelsey

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And thank you, Lesley! I saw a picture of your South Africa on another post, it is gorgeous! Mellow Yellow has been a pleasant surprise for me this season.

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

I love Mellow Yellow next to the pink rose! Great combo.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Iris. That is Pink Peace planted next to it, one of my favorites. it doesn't have a lot of blooms at once, but it repeats really quickly and it has a lovely fragrance.

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

Thanks Sara-Ann. I rather like the look of roses with scattered bloom. Quick repeat is fantastic. Love yellow - pink combos when the shade are right and Pink Peace looks like it would combine well.

Do Pink Peace blooms last longer than Peace? TIA

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Iris - The bed where I have my Pink Peace and Mellow Yellow faces the west, it can get very hot in the afternoon and early evening, so if the temps are really high the Pink Peace roses wilt easily. Most of the time they hold up really well though. If I had them planted in my south bed I don't think they would do that. I wouldn't say it lasts longer than Peace. My Peace last good on the bush and in the vase both. Pink Peace is a nice rose, not perfect but lovely. I've included a close-up picture.

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Ooooh!!! Your photo of Pink Peace is wonderful. I love that rose!!! So pretty and the scent is like fruit loops!

Wow!!
    Carol

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Carol. Iris - In case you check this post again, thought I would post another picture of Pink Peace Seems like the really warm weather lightens the color somewhat, but it is still lovely.

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Oooooh!!! I love that rose! Great shot!
    Carol

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carol - In case you check, here is a picture of Ch Ching. This is its 2nd flush of 30 plus buds after what seemed to be a mediocre performance. I think I have a winner. I love the old fashioned look of this bloom.

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Yes, that's gorgeous!! A purely phenomenal rose here. So many blooms. I've cut so many for the house.

Your picture is really stunning. Great job!
    Carol

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Carol!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ch-Ching just keeps getting better. I'm loving it!