Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tny78

Some Unique Colored Roses

TNY78
12 years ago

Here are some pictures taken this spring/summer of some of my more oddly colored roses. If anyone has some suggesstions for some more I would LOVE to hear them! I'm always on the hunt for new roses!

All American Magic

{{gwi:1272012}}

Blue River (1st year plant. I'm hoping for larger/fuller blooms in the spring!)

{{gwi:1272013}}

Cherry Parfait

{{gwi:1272014}}

Chihuly

{{gwi:1272015}}

Distant Drums

{{gwi:1272016}}

Dorcas (ist year plant also)

{{gwi:1272017}}

Freckles

{{gwi:1272018}}

Golden Princess

{{gwi:1272019}}

Great Speckled Bird

{{gwi:1272020}}

The Green Rose

{{gwi:1272021}}

Honey Dijon

{{gwi:1272022}}

Hula Hoop

{{gwi:1272023}}

Koko Loco

{{gwi:1272024}}

Leprechaun (Starts bright yellow and ages through pink, orange, and finally deep red)

{{gwi:1272025}}

Memphis Cajun

Memphis Music (love, love, love it!)

{{gwi:1264466}}

Paw Maw

Purple Splash

Rainbows End CL

Rock n Roll

Snowfire

Table Mountain (green undertones...beautiful!)

Spiced Coffee

Tom Brown

Comments (17)

• bgrose
    12 years ago

Memphis Music is astonishing! I fell in love with it! That said, all the roses are beautiful and striking in their own way.

• inga007
    12 years ago

You do have a lot of unusual roses. Lovely variety.

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Wonderful collection of the "odd balls", TNY! I love that Memphis Cajun!

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

What a great collection of unique roses! Thanks for sharing! My favorite is the GIGANTIC HUMONGOUS Chihuly, lol! I thought I was looking at a twin of my Distant Drums when I saw yours, lol! My second favorite was the Great Speckled Bird, ya gotta love a name like that too, hehe!

• canadian_rose
    12 years ago

Gee - those ARE unusual!!! I have All American Magic - I hated it at first, but now I LOVE it!!!!! It always seems to be in bloom. Yours looks HUGE - is it?? Mine are about 3 1/2 inches. Fabulous picture!!

My favs of your roses are - AAM, Chihuly, SnowFire, Memphis Magic and Memphis Cajun.

I adore your Memphis Cajun - WOW!!!!! I want it!!! Can you tell us more about it?

Thanks for all the beauty!!
    Carol

• TNY78
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Carol, I agree with you about AAM. I love the blooms, but the plant itself leaves something to be desired :( I only added it this spring, and it was a bareroot (I'm not a big fan, I prefer own-root container roses) and it has produced some large beautiful blooms (mine are also 3-3.5 inches), but it rarely has any leaves left due to BS and bugs feeding on it.

As for Memphis Cajun....great rose. It is a miniflora, but its blooms are just as large as any of my HTs. It was also added this year, along with Memphis Magic, and Great Speckled Bird all from hybridizer Witt Wells. He runs his own website of roses he breeds and patents called Wells Midsouth Roses. Great guy and you'll deal directly with him. He does some amazing things with color. I came across him while looking for the rose Aberacadabera, and found Memphis Music. Its had 3 flushes since I've planted it in April(?). Opens a kind of pinky-orange color and ages to coffee tones.

For the record, Great Speckled Bird hasn't even been introduced into commerce yet. I was shipped one incorrect rose from Wells, and when I rec'd the correct one he included two additional roses at no charge for his error :)

• earwig
    12 years ago

Awesome collection , however I don't think it is Chihuly rose. It looks like a Tropical Sunset to me.

• canadian_rose
    12 years ago

My All American Magic has nice shiny clean leaves and the bush shape looks great. The flowers were just all muddled and half there when I first got it. Now it's beautiful. I guess I am not in a disease ridden area.

Memphis Cajun is really remarkable. Does it have fragrance?

If you like more unique roses - you may want to try Paradise Found. I just love it. Tons of blooms, wonderful fragrance that I can't describe.

Carol

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

OMG! We had that very discussion at our rose show in June, earwig. Someone entered a Chihuly and it won best flori. When one of the arrangement judges saw it at the head table they insisted it wasn't Chihuly because it had stripes. It created a huge uproar and several people had hurt feelings. In the end it was determined that it was indeed Chihuly which does often stripe like that.

• TNY78
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Seil and Earwig...yes, my Chihuly has given some very different (and beautiful)blooms! The picture below is off the same plant about a month or so later, and you can see the difference in the blooms. I wish it were in bloom right now, because it usually does put out the traditional "Chihuly" blooms. This is the second year I've had it, and I purchased it through Northland Rosarium. Northland doesn't sell Tropical Sunset, so I'm sure it is Chihuly, but I agree it is very similar looking! It's funny that the same discussion came up at a rose show Seil!

{{gwi:1272114}}

• kathy9norcal
    12 years ago

Your roses look so pretty. I like the two Memphis roses best.
    Kathy

• sweetvenge
    12 years ago

Very lovely colorful roses, loved them all.

• flaurabunda
    12 years ago

I was going to suggest Rainbow's End and Table Mountain and as I scrolled down, there they were! Aren't they fabulous? I am a lover of oddballs also. I have Paradise Found, which I ordered from Garden Valley Ranch (Northland didn't have it last year), so it's a Huey graft. It's doing well and blooms like a maniac. Another one I just adore is World War II Memorial. It looks white from a distance, but up close you can see lilac and grey concentrated in the spiral. Just an amazing rose with super-strong fragrance.

• TNY78
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Flaurabunda...we must have similar taste in roses! I'll have to look up Paradise Found and WWII Memorial on HMF :) Thanks for the suggestions...like I said, always on the hunt! lol

• canadian_rose
    12 years ago

I agree about Paradise Found - blooms like a maniac. So beautiful - and the smell is so unique, and is my favorite for scent. Which is strange, because I usually go for the rose or sweet scents. This rose baffles me to describe the scent. I looked it up the other day - I think it was verbena and clove. I have no idea what verbena smells like. I love this rose!!! Mine is tough since it overwintered in the garage when a lot of mine died.

Carol

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH