Return to the Rose Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can't choose between Autumn Sunset and Scent from Above

Posted by peachymomo ca, 9b (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 11, 09 at 22:51

I'm going to plant some climbing roses on an arbor next season and I can't choose between Autumn Sunset and Scent from Above, I'm also open to other yellow or yellow/apricot blend climbers. Disease resistance and fragrance would be nice to have, if possible all in one rose. Suggestions, anyone?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can't choose between Autumn Sunset and Scent from Above

I personaly didn't like SCENT FROM ABOVE. The one I had was a very poor performer but I'm just one person and I may have just gotten a bad rose it happens. Its only got a 6.8 ARS rating. Only two yellow climers I have are GRAHAM THOMAS & GOLDEN CELEBRATION. They are both are listed as shrubs but mine have covered my abor. LOL
Harold

GRAHAM THOMAS

o

I'd probably have to second Harold on Scent from Above. I do have it and I like it, but I don't love it. In it's defense, I have it sited as a backdrop to a 'Briotti' red horsechestnut, probably not the best possible situation. It's in it's 3rd year and is slowly improving so I haven't given up on it. I do like the bloom but the foliage is a bit prone. Believe it or not my first choice was Autumn Sunset which they didn't have :-)

o

I like 'Polka'. I've only seen it in other people's yards, but it is disease-resistant.

o

'Royal Sunset' may be too apricot_y for you. It's a soft color and this allergy-laden nose can delight in its fragrance 6 feet away.

Some years mine has a bit of blackspot (no spray) toward the end of the season. I've never seen rust or mildew on it.

o

If you want healthy foliage, disease resistance, nice scent and lots of bloom, you can't go wrong with Autumn Sunset. It is a sport of Westerland and is one of the healthiest roses with good rebloom and a nice scent. Thorny though! I have grown both Westerlant (more orange) and Autumn Sunset and they are great performers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here