Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katefisher_gw

A few from the garden..,

katefisher
13 years ago

My first post with pictures all year! I cannot believe the haste with which summer is passing. Hope you enjoy these.

Lupe's Buttons

Julia Child

Lavendar Pinocchio

Burgundy Iceberg

International Herald Tribune

Golden Buddha

Iced Ginger

Foxglove

Echinacea

Hens and Chicks flower

Thanks for looking.

Kate

Comments (15)

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

Your Lupes Buttons is SOOOO sweet!! That's a new rose for me. Love the look of the soft pink with the bright white!

Julia Child is phenomenal. What a rose!! All those roses and all of those buds!!

I love the unique colors of Lavender Pinnochio and Burgundy Iceberg. Lovely.

The foxgloves are very photogenic.

I didn't even know that Hens and Chicks could flower!!

Remarkable photography!!

Thanks so much!!
    Carol

• katefisher
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well Carol thank you for your kinds words. Lupe's Buttons is one of our favorite roses. Bought on a whim at the Sacramento City Garden Sale three years ago it has become a wonderful plant. Now we grow two of them.

Julia Child has taken the whole season to get back in the game. Winter last year took a hard toll on it I'm afraid. You echoed my husbands sentiment on the Hens and Chicks:) I believe they are such reliable bloomers for me due to my overwatering addiction, ha ha. I really enjoy those little guys.

Take care.

Kate

• bethnorcal9
    13 years ago

Beautiful pics Kate!! Wow! That LUPE'S BUTTON is lovely. And I'm not a big fan of singles, but I like it! The Foxglove pic is really excellent! You can see the little hairs on it! Cool. And that echinacea is nice. Isn't it sad that summer is nearly gone? I can't believe the days are getting shorter again and soon it'll be cold and winter will be here. Accckkkk!!!

• teka2rjleffel
    13 years ago

I too love Lupe's Buttons. Tell us more about her.

• organicgardendreams
    13 years ago

Lovely roses and plants, Kate. Like others I am also very smitten with Lupe's Button. I also love Lavender Pinocchio. What an awesome, stunning color this rose has!

Glad that you found the time to post some of the roses from your garden.

Christina

• katefisher
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Beth it is nice to hear from you. Thanks for the kind words. I have really fallen in love with Lupe's Buttons:) It turns into a big plant, larger than I expected. I know what you mean about summer. I'm in TOTAL denial about fall creeping up on us.

Than you Teka and Christina. Jeri Jennings is the smartie about this rose..,maybe she will chime in. It was a found rose I believe and HMF still has it listed as parentage unknown. They do sell it now at Rogue Valley Roses and my second plant came from them. In Zone 7 so far it becomes about 3 feet tall and four feet wide. I think if you let it run wild it would get much bigger. A very good bloomer with colors ranging from whitish pink to coral and apricot. A true beauty.

Lavender Pinocchio is from Vintage and has taken its time getting comfy. But now that the plant has grown up some I'm very happy with it. I too love the colors.

Glad you all enjoyed them. Thanks.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Lupe's Buttons

• organicgardendreams
    13 years ago

Kate, thanks for the info about Lupe's Button and Lavender Pinocchio! It always makes me happy to learn about "new to me"-roses!

Enjoy the rest of the summer and in case you have time I would love to see more pics of your garden and your roses!

Christina

• kitkat_oregon
    13 years ago

Kate, your roses are stunning as always, I love the Burgundy Iceberg, what a color!! Do you have your hens and chicks in anything special soil wise? I inherited about 50 of them on our property and replanted them but they have not flowered at all. Do they have to reach maturity or something? Lovely, lovely, lovely.... Thanks, Kat

• katefisher
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Christina you are most welcome. If it would help you I could take bush pictures of them both tonight. Lavender Pinocchio has many buds about to open and I'm really excited!

Kat thank you. Very kind. We really enjoy Burgundy Iceberg. So far it has been a very reliable bloomer and so velvety. Bigger than I thought it would be.

I have the Hens and Chicks in either just plain ole potting soil, really marginal garden soil, raised pots, etc., you get the idea. I don't do anything special except water consistently and everything gets alfalfa tea eventually in our garden. Even if only once per warm season. I don't know if that's a factor. I do think they need time to mature and in case you weren't aware, they die right after flowering. When you go to remove the flower the plant just pulls right out also leaving room for all the other hens and chicks to move in:) So much fun aren't they?

Hope this helps.

Kate

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

Kate---these pictures are wonderful-----Lupe's buttons sure seems to be a winner----zone 2----10----can't seem to find anything negative about this pretty rose---
    Your picture is wonderful

Nice group of pics---thanks for sharing--

Florence-

• katefisher
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Florence. I'm very happy you enjoyed my pictures. Hope all is well with you.

Kate

• organicgardendreams
    13 years ago

Kate, I would love to see bush shots from Lupe's Button and Pinocchio! Thanks for the offer!

Christina

• katefisher
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I will definitely get those for you Christina. Today it is super windy here but the weather on Sunday is going to be nicer.

Kate

• paulieinct
    13 years ago

Beautiful shots. Julia Child pic is stunning. I've been on the fence about getting this rose. Your pic convinced me to try it next year.

• katefisher
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Paul. Just one thing though and perhaps someone in your zone can address this more accurately but last year we had a tough, long wet winter and Julia Child has been super slow to recover. What you see in these pictures is the most action I've had all summer. Right now she is blooming nicely but it has been one long wait for her to shine this year. Just an FYI:) I don't want to dissuade you as I really like Julia Child but I'm sure in your area you have to pick and choose carefully from a hardiness perspective.

Kate

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company