Yves Piaget

{{gwi:318309}}

Yves Piaget

{{gwi:318310}}

L.D. Braithwaite

{{gwi:318311}}

My beginning garden with standing cage of petunias

{{gwi:318312}}

wheelbarrow picture I didn't want to include, but my daughter spent 45 minutes doing pictures for me, and said, "too bad" LOL

{{gwi:318313}}

Me (right in front of bumblebee hive opening under deck. John Davis, salvia, scabosia

{{gwi:318314}}

Paradise

{{gwi:318315}}

Memorial Day

{{gwi:318316}}

Memorial Day

{{gwi:318317}}

Paradise Found

{{gwi:318318}}

Julio Iglesias

{{gwi:318319}}

Julio Iglesias

{{gwi:318320}}

This is incredibly complicated - at least to me!! LOL My lovely 14 year old daughter did this for me, but it took FOREVER!!! So buckets (get it - photo bucket!!) of thanks to my daughter!!!

I have a greater appreciation for all of you regular posters!!

Carol

Comments (20)

• katefisher
    13 years ago

I enjoyed your photos very much Carol including the wheelbarrow picture. Very cheerful. I have to say Fredric Mistral really took my breath away though, wow. Those blooms and the way you captured them made it look as though I could just pluck one off the page. Really nice.

Thanks for sharing those.

Kate

• lesmc
    13 years ago

Carol, your roses are just beautiful! So healthy....and lush. I totally understand the difficulty of posting pictures if you are not computer savy...as I am. I only post if one of my sons stops by!!! Love Paradise Lost. Is this the same as Paradise? Thank you for sharing your garden. Lesley

• peachymomo
    13 years ago

Gorgeous flowers, all of them! I like the petunia cage, it is very nice. How do you say 'Yves Piaget'?

Thanks for taking the time to post your pics, and thanks to your helpful daughter too!

• flaurabunda
    13 years ago

Ahhh, so lovely! Paradise & Paradise Found are on my list for next year. Great to see them in your photos. The DH really likes them too, so I have his 'stamp of approval' now on those two roses.
    ---Laura

• rootygirl
    13 years ago

Really beautiful! I admire your growing roses in Canada. I wish my petunias were so lush and perfect.

• organicgardendreams
    13 years ago

Hi Carol,

so nice that you were able to post pics of your beautiful roses and flowers from your garden with the help of your daughter.

I see that you are growing two of my own favorites: Memorial Day and Frederick Mistral. These two guys are hard to beat in the fragrance department, aren't they?

Please, keep more pics coming if you can!

Christina

• paulieinct
    13 years ago

Love that Frederic Mistral. One of my all-time favorites.

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Kate!! Frederic Mistral is an amazing rose!!! The flowers last forever, and the fragrance is great!! I also adore the color!!

lesmc - Thank you!! Yes, it seems so daunting to try to post again. :) The differences between Paradise Found and Paradise are: (keep in mind they're first year roses, so I'm not sure what their potentials are:

Paradise - Quicker reflush, more blooms. No fragrance
    Paradise Found - This is its first flush. Flowers are about the same size, but I think they're prettier. My daughter didn't post the picture that really shows its beauty, Plus it has a nice spicy fragrance. It reminds me in looks of a lavender/red Double Delight. Both rose bushes are about the same height.

Peachymomo - I love the petunia basket as well! I bought it at HomeSense this summer. I just love the look of it. It's on long scrolly legs. And I think I'll always put petunias in it. I say "Eves Pee-ah-zhay.

Laura - I'm glad I helped!!! :) They are both wonderful roses. Of course, I don't know much about disease - we're pretty disease free here. Although 2 of my roses surprisingly do have BS - these 2 do not. If I had to only buy one of them, I think I would buy Paradise Found. It's beauty is wonderful. It has scent too. But don't let your DH read this - you need both!! LOL

Rootygirl - it must be our cooler summer. We haven't got past 71-75 all summer. I love these cooler temperatures.

Christina - Fragrance isn't all that strong where I live. The other 2 northern cities I've lived in have been the same. In pots in the ground - doesn't matter. But those two are some of my nice smellers. But sometimes, I don't smell anything. Maybe it's me, because my daughter will go "Oh wow!!! that's amazing!!"

Thanks Paul - I don't ever want to be without that rose!!

Ahhhh - you guys made my day!! Thanks!!

Carol

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

Your roses look so beautiful and lush, really lovely. My favorite is Yves Piaget. Mine was decimated by gophers so no flowers and almost no bush. Yours is so gorgeous. Nice to see a picture of the rose grower too.

Ingrid

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ingrid - One of the nice things about growing roses in pots is that gophers are no problem!!

Yves Piaget is a really wonderful rose!! The flowers are 6 inches, stuffed, and have a fantastic fragrance. Plus the flowers last forever. I'm really glad I got this rose!!!

Carol - happy rosing!

• dove_song
    13 years ago

Carol, it's really great to see a picture of you!!! Happy that your dear daughter helped you. Buckets of thanks to her, and to you, for persevering on through!!! I loved strolling through your garden--with it's many lovely roses and other plants to enjoy. :)

Take good care.

Debbie

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

Julio Iglesias looks wonderful. Nice collection!

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Iris_gal - You should see it now - it's even better!!! Very fragrant and sooooo many flowers. Plus the petals are securely attached - I have mine on the deck, right near where the dogs (85 lb and 55 lb poodles) jump off - usually going at quite a speed after a ball. The branches swing and bounce, but the flowers stay the same!! Great rose!!

Debbie - Thanks! Yes, she helped me a lot. I just typed the names of the roses in place of where she wrote "write your message here." So, I did, but when I previewed the message, I realized that I had to erase her message. I had thought it was an automated prompt that would delete after I had typed my message. So silly of me!! LOL

:)
    Carol

• boxofrox
    13 years ago

Them's some awful pretty roses there Carol but I am even more smitten by the stems ;-)

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    13 years ago

Great photos of your roses/plants Carol! Your daughter did a great job! Photo-buckets to her! :-) How's that bumble-bee hive doing?

• dove_song
    13 years ago

LOL, Carol. I've found that learning new things can produce some pretty funny moments. I have LOTS to laugh about, hehe. :p

Debbie

• serenasyh
    13 years ago

Great photos Carol, and many hugs! I am just stopping by very briefly, but caught your thread, hurray! Fantastic roses! Especially Julio and Freddie. The Boys are takin' over the 'hood, lol! so splendid! And I love the photo your daughter took of you! Wonderful to see your smiling face! I gotta scram now, I am under so many deadlines with the web design, sadly. I killed one young RU rose, because I didn't have time to care for it even...but my Long Ago baby bands are FLOURISHING LIKE MAD in this killer heat we have, those things have roots of Superman power, lol! Doing better than any new rose I've got! But the joy of my busy season was the tons of real live honeybees I've been getting non-stop. Russian sage is my miracle honeybee plant. I'm gonna tear up the rest of my perennials and start growing Russian sage outta the wazooo, lol! Whoo-hoo! Bye Now! Love, love, love your roses and the PETUNIAS!

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh Boxo - the stems!!! LOL Thanks!! Looking back at my roses, I can't believe that I can grow roses to look so lovely! Most of my roses are pretty near dormant now.

Jim - thanks!! I'll pass on your compliments to her! Well, the bees are doing great!! Their banquet is just inches away from their hive. They absolutely adore Russian sage (like Serena's bees), salvia, bee balm, sage (the regular one) and many others. I've been finding dead bees on flowers though, because it's getting cooler. Some of them are quite large. I want to tell the bees to take a break, since they die over winter (being bumble bees). Kick back and relax, you bees!!

Debbie - me too! I'm about to learn Swedish through Rosetta stone (I'm half Swedish - don't look like it though)

Serena - Thanks!!! Really glad that you have lots of bees!! It's a really great feeling to have banquets for appreciative bees. Salvias, sage and Russian sage are great for the bees. Just keep deadheading the spires and more will grow. I hope my bees come and stay on my property next year too! I was showing the girls how gentle the bumblebees are - by petting them with my finger. Didn't even faze the bees!! Oh, bees also LOVE catmint - give that a try too!!

Thanks everyone!
    Carol

• mnkitty
    13 years ago

Hi Carol,
    Your roses are lovely. I'm wondering what you do with your pots in winter. We had a Japanese maple in a pot and tried to overwinter it in our garage. It died. Do you have a green house? Please advise.
    Thank you,
    Kitty

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

Your roses are gorgeous----great pictures----

Florence