Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pappu_gw

Sweet Chariot: An incredible bedding rose!

pappu
17 years ago

I planted tiny plants from chamblees this spring in a bed that I originally made for annuals. I wanted something short and ground hugging, because I am planning a row of taller roses behind this bed and I did not want the front row of roses to cover the ones in the bed behind. I also wanted a rose with a different 'texture' to add interest to the masses of floribundas I have planted in the front yard. Something which would bloom all year, hardy and is healthy and vigorous and hugs the ground. Sweet Chariot is the perfect rose and more for the requirements above. Thank you Morden man, Digger Dave (havent seen them around here in ages) for suggesting this rose. The tiny bands took off like crazy and have almost covered the bed. Arching canes droop with the weight of the clusters of blooms and dont block the view behind. In the heat of mid august, they are covered in blooms, I can only imagine what the spring flush will be like. I spray once a month and not a hint of disease. They are ignored by spider mites and JBs too. The mass effect is beautiful with multitone blooms...deep pink, purple-lavender then white before they drop cleanly. I have never deadheaded them and they dont need to be deadheaded. The icing on the cake...they are very fragrant! I am so glad that I chose this one for yet one more mass planting...

{{gwi:260395}}

Comments (28)

• predfern
    17 years ago

Looks great but will it survive the winter?

• pappu
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Predfern, it is one of the hardiest minis around. It is supposed to be cane hardy and the earliest to bloom in spring. This is information from multiple cold zoners here who have grown sweet Chariot.

• aswhad
    17 years ago

"impressive"
    Fly me a bed to belgium please.

Aswhad

• zeffyrose
    17 years ago

I would love to see your garden in person because your pictures are so lovely.

Thia rose seems to have it all.

Florence

• carla17
    17 years ago

Pappu, I planted three SW's and they aren't as big as yours yet. What drew me to them was smelling them at Chamblee's. Yours sure do take a pretty picture!

Carla

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    17 years ago

What an impressive sight, pappu--I love how you plant in broad swaths of color. Keep thinking I'll try that some day but somehow I never find a spot big enough in my smaller yard. Sigh. Anyway, yours are gorgeous.

Kate

• shellfleur
    17 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous...are they fragrant too?

• predfern
    17 years ago

Sold!

• gnabonnand
    17 years ago

Out of this world beautiful. Good to hear it's fragrant too.

Randy

• pappu
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The best part of this rose is the fragrance. In the mass planting I have(14 plants) and with so many blooms , the scent spreads and wafts. Especially when the evenings are warm and the air is still, the fragrance is delicious. Of all the roses I have this is now my top favourite. Very charming. The clusters open deep pink-purple and then age to a light lavender. A few cut stems fill up a vase and smell great! A great Ralph Moore rose and it is in the parentage of many of Carruth's fragrant purple roses that he is famous for (Ebb tide, Wild blue yonder., etc.,). Someone (Morden man?) described it as a "refined lady wearing an exotic perfume"

• roselover_nj
    17 years ago

SOOOO Beautiful. Your pictures are always stunning! It's great to hear that they have a scent too!

• msrose
    17 years ago

I'm really starting to envy your being in zone 5 (I can't believe I just said that). I got rid of my Sweet Chariots this year because our harsh heat made the blooms crisp right away. It was definitely a good bloomer though.

Laurie

• the_morden_man
    17 years ago

Pappu,

I am so happy that you finally bought Sweet Chariot. If I could have sent you my cuttings, I would have done so gladly. Of course, as usual, you bought more than just one...LOL! I envy your space and your pics are tremendous as always!
    Also glad they are living up to your expectations after Dave and I so forcefully enabled you. Just wait until next spring when you have the full flush...

Things are better here now and I'll write soon to let you know how things turned out with my Father.

All the best and congrats on both your planting of this rose and your wonderful rose garden in general!

Tim

Predfern,

Sweet Chariot is almost hardy to the tips even here in my garden. It also becomes hardier with age. It may have more dieback in its first year, but once established, this rose is very cane hardy, floriferous, disease resistant and pest resistant too. Just a great rose...and of course, there is always that heavenly wafting scent....ahhhhhhh....

• gnabonnand
    17 years ago

How thorny is Sweet Chariot?

Randy

• pappu
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Tim, great to see you're back! Thanks for suggesting this beautiful rose. It is perfect for my garden and no crisping of the blooms here. It is so beautiful now that I can only imagine how spectacular it will be next spring and once established. More blooms, more of that fragrance!
    Randy, it is not thorny...I mean, it has thorns, but they are small. The best description I can think of it is a shrubby landscape mini.
    Laurie, I am sorry that the blooms crisp in your zone. No such problem up here in Illinois.

• Missy_GardenWhimsy
    17 years ago

Thank you for sharing your great photos of your beautiful roses! That does it for me, I must take my Sweet Chariots out of pots and put them in my flower beds! Thank you for the inspiration! Missy

• altorama Ray
    17 years ago

i kept mine in a pot last year and it survived just fine.
    It is a great little rose, planted in the ground now.
    If you are into drying flowers, this one is great-the
    fragrance is even stronger. I would say 'Sweet Chariot'
    is very fragrant in fact.
    Pappu what do you feed your roses?? They always look
    super healthy!
    alida

• pappu
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Missy, Alida, I like SC so much now that I am thinking of planting in pots around the patio and in hanging pots next year! It looks like the kind of rose that roots easily and I am really hoping to propagating it all over the garden. Today evening it was hot and humid and still and I could smell the fragrance waft in the yard....
    I have it interplanted with Tina James evening primrose (grown form seed) which is a bienneal and by the time SC gets established, they should die out. Right now they are nicely filling out the empty spaces in between the SC roses. I am really looking forwards to the 'time-lapse' opening of the primrose blooms in the evenings and their scent is supposed to be heavenly.
    Alida, I keep throwing all kinds of stuff at my roses. I am now feeding exclusively organic stuff and no more miracle gro or burnt leaves for me. Lots of fish meal, lots and lots of alfalfa meal, kelp meal, cottonseed meal and milorganite. Never burns the roses and with organics there is no such thing as over fertilizing. The roses love it and the down side is that I have super weeds which triple in size every few days and I am getting a little tired of all the weeding. For the roses which are in ground for over 2 years, I have really cut down on the fertilizing because they are already huge and I dont want them to get any bigger. New Dawn does not get a lick of fertilizer or water and it is still overgrown and is threatning to bring down the arbor. I think I need to find some kind of anti-fertilizer for it...

• altorama Ray
    17 years ago

LOL antifertilizer...!

• mehearty
    17 years ago

Lovely Pappu! When can we come over for a garden party?

• msmisk
    17 years ago

I think you've outdone yourself !!

• janetsklar
    17 years ago

Sweet Chariott is a lovely rose but in So. Calif. it burns to a crisp in hot San Fernando Valley weather. Your pictures are lovely.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    17 years ago

I too, succumbed to the enabling of The Morden Man and the long, lost Digger Dave. I got 3 tiny Sweet Chariots from the Uncommon Rose last spring and they are all doing well. Always blooming, no BS even though they are never sprayed and it does seem that the Japanese Beetles have little interest in them.

• Nancy G
    7 years ago

Pappu, how tall are your sweet chariot roses? Wondering how tall they get because I just ordered one. Yours are beautiful.

• Nancy G
    7 years ago

Anyone know how tall Pappu's Sweet Chariot hedge is?

• altorama Ray
    7 years ago

I used to grow this, it was so fragrant!

• strawchicago z5
    2 years ago

Love these great reviews on Sweet Chariot, which is on my wish-list to be ordered from LongAgoRoses, along with Augusta Louis as own-root. I have very few 6 hours sun locations left, most are 4 hours sun so I look for shade-tolerant roses.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH