Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

Easter Basket--my substitute Peace rose?

dublinbay z6 (KS)
10 years ago

Years ago, I tried several times to grow Peace, which to me is absolutely one of the most beautiful roses. Its delicates shades of pastel yellow and slight pink flush, all on an ivory background, are without compare. So why did I quit growing Peace? Blackspot!!!!!!

I have now found a rose--a floribunda called Easter Basket--that colorwise captures a bit of the pale yellow and pink flush that Peace does so beautifully. True, Easter Basket's blooms are only about half the size of Peace's blooms--and probably have only half the number of petals a Peace bloom has--but the subtle, delicate shadings are kind of Peace-like. And guess what--Easter Basket is VERY DISEASE-RESISTANT!

See what you think in these pics. I should warn you, however, that my camera insists on darkening the yellow a bit more than it is on the actual bush--much more pastel effect in real life.

Easter Basket (floribunda)
{{gwi:217627}}

What's really cool about Easter Basket (and quite dissimilar to Peace) is that this floribunda is constantly changing colors and the various shades appear simultaneously on the bush. Like--what color is this rose? LOL
{{gwi:1273098}}

And it is VERY DISEASE-RESISTANT! What a deal!

Kate

This post was edited by dublinbay on Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 23:55

Comments (16)

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Oh!! That's stunning!!!
    Just love the different colors and the frilly edges.
    Love, love it!!
    Carol

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

Kate - I like your Easter Basket rose, lovely blooms, love that shape and the color too, very nice.

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

well, this is a very pretty rose, but, certainly not a PEACE rose.To me, there is no comparerison, but, this one is a beautiful rose you have.The peace rose is certainly bad for Black spot, cant remember how many times I have replaced my peace rose. I have a small one now in a pot,ND IT HAS LOST ALMOSTT ALL ITS LEAVES at this time, again.

jean

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

Nice! I looked at HMF and saw blooms with the pink blush. You're right. A lovely substitute for those of us who have nothing but trouble with Peace..

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

That's a beauty. I have Chicago Peace, but I would grow Easter Basket any day. Wonderful flowers.

• C Schaffner
    10 years ago

One of my favorites. Here's mine

{{gwi:1273099}}

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

Hi Kate,

Its been a year now since you posted about Easter Basket... Could you please give us a update on hows its doing? Thanks
    Still disease resistant?
    I noticed Peggy Rockefeller Rose Garden has rated it very high! Higher than Double Knockout so just wondering...
    Thanks again...

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Jim,
    Here is Easter Basket blooming this year--about a month ago, I believe.
    {{gwi:291534}}

In response to your question, I should first point out that most of the roses in my gardens are not doing quite as well as last year. This past winter was brutal and most of the roses had to be pruned back severely. While they are growing and blooming, they are still too short and not as full and floriferous as they should be.

Easter Basket suffered the same conditions as the other roses, but is recovering better than some of them. It has had two bloom cycles so far this year, but it still isn't as tall and wide as it was last year. However, when it blooms, they look as lovely as usual--just not as many as usual. It has had a touch of BS--again I attribute that to it not being fully recovered from the brutal winter. However, I don't think I actually sprayed it when I sprayed the HTs a couple times in the spring.

I guess I'm going to have to wait until next year before I make a definitive statement, but I have no plans to replace this rose and believe it should snap out of its brutal winter blues by then--at least I sure hope so.

It will be interesting to see how it blooms this fall--whether it has recovered by then or not.

Thanks for asking.

Kate

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

Thats understandable Kate it was a bad winter last year...

Helpmefind.com says the blooms are 2 3/4 inches...
    Is that correct? Thanks Kate

• bayourose
    9 years ago

Love your easter basket rose! I think its a fabulous substitute peace rose since the peace rose gives me no peace!!!! Lol. It gets BS and defoliates down to nothing and barely blooms! I am putting easter basket on my lust list now. Where did you get it from and is it own root? Thanks in advance.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jim, I think some of the blooms are slightly larger than that--closer to 3 inches.

Bayourose, sorry, but I no longer remember where I got my Easter Basket. If I got it from Roses Unlimited (I often order from them), then it was own root. However, I often order from the Canadian companies: Pickering or Palatine. If that is where I got it, it has a multiflora graft. When I can't find a rose at the usual places online, I've been known to order from Reagan Nursery in California--I'd guess those would be grafted, but I don't know on what.

Keep in mind that Easter Basket is a floribunda, so it will not yield those big showy HT type blooms. The colors are delightful on it and I love the frilly edges, but individually the blooms are not showpieces. It is a floriferous rose however, so it often has lots of blooms blooming. And it has been quite BS resistant so far.

Kate

• bayourose
    9 years ago

Thank you, Kate. It looks like roses unlimited and reagans both have easter basket. I don't have to have the hybrid tea look like peace just as long as it blooms. Peace was just so stingy with her blooms and they were so few and far between that I would love to have one with similar colors that bloom so often. I, too, love the frilly edges of easter basket. I can't wait to try her out. Thanks so much for sharing this rose with us. I love this website, because you get to see such wonderful roses and get the inside information on how they bloom and grow. I just hope this rose does well in Louisiana humidity. Thanks again.

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hi Kate, your pictures make me miss what we had here. Missy and I have not been able to do much the last few years could you send me a message through here?

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022