Return to the Rose Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Easter Basket--my substitute Peace rose?

Posted by dublinbay z6 KS (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 23:47

Years ago, I tried several times to grow Peace, which to me is absolutely one of the most beautiful roses. Its delicates shades of pastel yellow and slight pink flush, all on an ivory background, are without compare. So why did I quit growing Peace? Blackspot!!!!!!

I have now found a rose--a floribunda called Easter Basket--that colorwise captures a bit of the pale yellow and pink flush that Peace does so beautifully. True, Easter Basket's blooms are only about half the size of Peace's blooms--and probably have only half the number of petals a Peace bloom has--but the subtle, delicate shadings are kind of Peace-like. And guess what--Easter Basket is VERY DISEASE-RESISTANT!

See what you think in these pics. I should warn you, however, that my camera insists on darkening the yellow a bit more than it is on the actual bush--much more pastel effect in real life.

Easter Basket (floribunda)

What's really cool about Easter Basket (and quite dissimilar to Peace) is that this floribunda is constantly changing colors and the various shades appear simultaneously on the bush. Like--what color is this rose? LOL

And it is VERY DISEASE-RESISTANT! What a deal!

Kate

This post was edited by dublinbay on Mon, Aug 19, 13 at 23:55

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Easter Basket--my substitute Peace rose?

Oh!! That's stunning!!!
Just love the different colors and the frilly edges.
Love, love it!!
Carol

o

• Posted by jim1961 5/6 Central Pa. (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 13:53

I likey! :)

o

Kate - I like your Easter Basket rose, lovely blooms, love that shape and the color too, very nice.

o

well, this is a very pretty rose, but, certainly not a PEACE rose.To me, there is no comparerison, but, this one is a beautiful rose you have.The peace rose is certainly bad for Black spot, cant remember how many times I have replaced my peace rose. I have a small one now in a pot,ND IT HAS LOST ALMOSTT ALL ITS LEAVES at this time, again.

jean

o

Nice! I looked at HMF and saw blooms with the pink blush. You're right. A lovely substitute for those of us who have nothing but trouble with Peace..

o

That's a beauty. I have Chicago Peace, but I would grow Easter Basket any day. Wonderful flowers.

o

One of my favorites. Here's mine

photo DSC02357.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here