Belinda's Dream

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Perfume Delight

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Oh beautiful!!!
    I have Pink Peace, Perfume Delight and Tiffany. I can almost smell the fruit loops smell of Pink Peace just by looking at your photo. But my Tiffany smells only slightly and it smells of apples. Someone on this forum said my Tiffany picture doesn't look like Tiffany. I'm wondering, too. So what does your Tiffany smell like?

I also really like your Bewitched and Belinda's Dream. Which one do you like better of these two?
    Carol

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carol - It was me who made the comment about your Tiffany, I thought it might be the difference in our climates. I think yours is lovely though. My Tiffany has a wonderful fragrance, but this past week was the first time it seemed really strong. Between Bewitched and Belinda's Dream, I'm not sure. I've grown Bewitched a long time and for the most part I really like it. My established one took a vacation this summer, only bloomed in May, then wouldn't set on any more blooms, looks like it's getting ready to now. I think I've had it since 2002. I planted Belinda's Dream because it is supposed to be a heavy bloomer and it is and the blooms are actually prettier than I thought they would be. For me it is difficult for me to compare the 2. Actually I love them both. I used to think Bewitched was my favorite pink, but I'm not sure now. All the roses I have pictured were planted this spring. I've grown roses for a long time, but I couldn't care for them for several years because I had other obligations that didn't allow me the time. I only had a few left that survived during those years. I planted a bunch (about 60) this spring. I mostly stuck to varieties I was already familiar with, with a few exceptions. I've seen so many different ones on this forum I would love to try. Hope I didn't get too windy, just wanted to give you a little background.

• paulieinct
    10 years ago

Beautiful shots. I think I will try Bewitched again. I love Peace, but can't seem to keep any leaves on it in my climate,

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

Great shots Sara Ann! :)

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Paul. Bewitched is a nice rose. I've always been fond of it, it just seems like there are so many good pinks and these days I have a difficult time deciding which ones are my favorites. It took my Peace roses a while to get started, but once they did they've been blooming good. This is not always the case here. We've had a really good rose growing season, so I'm really enjoying it.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And thank you too, Jim!

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Wow! You planted 60 roses this spring!!! That's a whole lotta work!!! But it must have been fun work. :)

I like the fact that BD has a lot of flowers. The color is so pretty too.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, Carol it was a lot of work, but I did enjoy it. Of course the planting was spread out over several weeks. I already had one area where I used to have roses and it was easy to prepare. Roses have always brought me so much pleasure and I really missed them, so I kind of went all out. There is really a lot more I need to do to make it all more attractive. I've included another picture of Liebeszauber, it's what a red rose should look like in my opinion.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I forgot to mention that I agree about Belinda's Dream, it's a winner!

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Ooooh!!! That IS pretty. Such a lovely red.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Carol. I didn't think the other picture was that great of Liebeszauber, but I never know when I'm going to get a really pretty bloom, when I saw that one, it was beautiful, wanted to share it. Can't wait to see more of your pics.

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Awww. Thanks!

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

Amazing how 'Bewitched' still holds its own. After how many years?!

Thanks for the recommendation on 'Liebeszauber'. I have wondered about this rose. Very pretty picture.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Since we've been talking about pink roses, this is a picture of The McCartney Rose. It is proving to be very vigorous and a good bloomer. I compared it to Perfume Delight, they are exactly the same color. I think Perfume Delight has near perfect half open blooms, but when they are fully open they aren't that pretty, at least in my opinion. McCartney is lovely at all stages, and the fragrance is great. The only criticism I have of McCartney is the stems seem kind of thin, but they aren't flimsy, so I guess that's OK. I love them both, they both definitely have a place in my rose garden.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Iris_gal, thanks. The only complaint I have about Liebeszauber would be lack of fragrance. Bewitched has proven itself over and over again for me. Think it's been around since 1967. Guess I've always been partial to pinks for some reason. Seems to me there are so many good ones and a lot of them tend to be fragrant, which I like.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wasn't expecting this Firefighter bloom to be so beautiful, only my second one. This would be worth it for the fragrance alone, even if it wasn't pretty. I think the bed it's in needs more of my attention!

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Oooh! I like it! I like it!!
    Carol

• inga007
    10 years ago

What a lot of effort you made, in posting all these lovely blooms.
    Personally, I appreciate it very much.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you again Carol, appreciate it. And thank you very much Inga. I cannot figure out how to post pictures all together. Hopefully one of these days soon I will get it figured out with the help of my granddaughter, when she has time. It's been an effort I've enjoyed, because I love sharing, just as I love it when everyone else shares theirs.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cl. America - This is such a lovely rose, love the color. Almost gave up on it, but it is starting to bloom, finally. Can't wait to see what it does next year.

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

I can only post one picture at a time too! :)
    Looks like a nice climber. Glad it's finally doing something.
    Carol

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Carol. I appreciate all your nice comments. Your a sweet lady. An update on Mellow Yellow and Ch-Ching. I decided that during and after Mellow Yellow's bloom period that I really like it, the roses stayed nice for several days before they faded and they looked lovely, actually was prettier than Midas Touch. Ch-Ching has had a few blooms all season, it's been slow to repeat. Right now it is absolutely loaded with new buds, not sure how many, but a gob. Oh, and I think I counted close to 30 on Mellow Yellow.

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Mellow Yellow sounds like a good find.
    Thanks for your kind words. :)
    Ch-Ching is an amazing rose. Here (2nd year) it's waaaay better than last year. Soooo many flowers that last and last. Quick rebloom too. I think it's way better than Julia Child.
    Carol

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carol, Wow, better than Julia Child! I don't have JC, but it is on my maybe list for next year. How tall is your Ch-Ching? Mine has not gotten very tall, but I think it's supposed to. Whenever it says grandiflora, I think tall, but that's not necessarily the case.

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

I think it's about 2 1/2 feet tall. But it's in a pot, so it looks taller. But it's wider than it's tall. Some canes are really long width wise and are supple and could almost be trained on a pillar.
    Carol

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carol - Thanks for the info. That helps me know what to expect.

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

You're welcome!
    Carol

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carol - My roses keep surprising me. I planted a red Amalia rose (the one pictured) in one of my whiskey barrels and it is blooming right now. it is surprising me with some really beautiful flowers. I ordered it from Palatine, it's on multiflora rootstock, I'm impressed. How does your Mister Lincoln perform? I read both good and bad about it, so I've kind of hesitated. That doesn't always necessarily keep from trying a particular rose, for some reason I don't want Mister Lincoln to disappoint me.

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Hey looks good! Those whiskey barrels look a good size.

Mr. Lincoln, here, did fantastic last year (its first). Bloom after bloom after bloom. Huge, fragrant, lasts a long time. But this year (we had so much rain - that we had major flooding in our city) it did okay (no BS), just wasn't as prolific. However I did get a really nice big rose hip from it. I left one rose on each plant to go to hips. Many of them did not - but Mr. Lincoln did.

It's my m-I-laws favorite rose that I have. She says it's what a rose should be.
    Carol

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carol - Thanks, again. I think I need to go ahead and try Mister Lincoln, I'll never know if I like it, if I don't try it. I know it is a popular rose, grown everywhere. I'm glad yours has done good for you. Your extremely wet weather this year probably hasn't been a very good test for it. My whiskey barrels are the larger ones. I think I've had them about 7 or 8 years. We should have treated them with something so they would last longer. Really like the look, but they are so heavy, of course I don't move them. My late husband (I've since remarried) was driven to help me have beautiful roses, because he knew how much I loved them and I will be ever so grateful to him, he taught me so much. He loved gardening and just had a natural ability for growing things. The reason I got the whiskey barrels was to cut down on his work, it didn't matter, he was driven. I could go on and on, but I won't.

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Your late husband sounds so much like mine. He would (and has) done anything for my rose passion. I miss your husband for you. :(
    But....life goes on, and it's nice you've remarried. :)
    Carol

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carol - Very sweet sentiment, I appreciate that, he was a sweetheart. My current husband is very supportive and really wants me to enjoy my hobby. He is almost totally blind, so he can't physically help me, but just knowing that he wants me to enjoy them is enough. I want to have as many fragrant roses as possible so he can at least enjoy them somewhat. He's such a big help in so many other ways.

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Awwwww.
    :)
    Carol