Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celestialrose_nh

CLEMATIS..great rose companions!

celeste/NH
17 years ago

Hello everyone!

There was a recent thread about good companions for roses, and I wanted to share photos of some of my clematis. Some grow up or around my old garden roses, and others just grow up pillars or tripods in the garden and some scramble up fences..at any rate, they add color & dimension to my rose garden and yard. I have more pics of more clematis, so since this is LONG I will do this in two posts...thanks for looking!

Celeste

COMTESSE DE BOUCHAUD

JACKMANII

{{gwi:236804}}

BETTY CORNING W/ CELESTIAL

GENERAL SIKORSKI

ARCTIC QUEEN

PERLE D'AZUR

POLISH SPIRIT

VENOSA VIOLACEA

WARSZAWSKA NIKE & SWEET AUTUMN CLEMATIS

a href="http://photobucket.com/" target="_blank">{{gwi:236802}}

VILLE DE LYON

VENOSA VIOLACEA, CLOSE-UP

OLD GARDEN ROSES W/ CLEMATIS GROWING ON WILLOW OBELISK

Comments (29)

• niecey
    17 years ago

Gorgeous! Gorgeous! Gorgeous!
    Everything looks magnificent.
    Niecey

• aprille
    17 years ago

oh wow - those are just breath-taking! I planted a bunch of Clematis early this year, but did not get anything out of them, they hardly grew! but they are not dead, so I'm hoping for better things next year! if they end up looking half as nice as your garden does I'd be in heaven! Thank you so much for sharing!! I'm going to keep coming back to look at these beauties.

aprille

• gnabonnand
    17 years ago

Looks excellent, wish I could grow them like that. I probably need to put my two year old clematis out of its misery.

Randy

• char_rose
    17 years ago

I just planted my clematis two years ago. I had to look twice the first year to see the vine. this year I can see them and they have been blooming on and off. I bought another one this summer and will be adding more in the future. I have some of the ones that you have posted here. Thank you for showing me what I have to look forward too.

• canadian_rose
    17 years ago

Are all those clematises hardy in your zone or do you protect them?

That last photo is stunning! I would dearly love to take a stroll there!

Carol

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Carol...
    to answer your question, YES, they are all hardy here and I don't do anything more than mound up soil & leaf mulch around the base of each clematis. They are pretty tough! In the Spring, most of them get a "haircut" to promote new flowering shoots, and they grow like mad.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments!

Celeste

• canadian_rose
    17 years ago

I bought a few clematises that are not hardy here. They overwintered, but they only grow to about 2 feet! Silly me! I guess I should stick to hardy clematis if there's so much variety!

Lovely!

Carol

• zeffyrose
    17 years ago

I would love to visit your gorgeous garden. You have the most wonderful roses and now all these beautiful clematis.

Your gardens are amazing.

Florence

• homenovice
    17 years ago

Great. Just what I need - another addicting plant.
    Beautiful shots, Celeste :-)

• elgrillo
    17 years ago

Beautiful! Thanks for posting.

Gary

• lesmc
    17 years ago

Wow!! You have the most magic touch.... would love to know your secret !! I have been trying to grow clematis and they do not look anything like your pictures. Thank you so much for posting your pictures. Lesley

• kathwhit
    17 years ago

Absolutely stunning!
    K

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks again for ALL your kind comments! To those of you who are discouraged & wondering if (& when) your clematis will start "doing something", let me offer you this: it takes several years to get a clematis looking like the above! Mine looked pretty puny for the first few years...so patience is the key! I think that my clemmies are pretty happy with the fact that they get some of the alfalfa tea brew that the roses get, since they are planted near one another! Other than that, I have no real secrets...I guess the roses told them I'm a rose fanatic and the clemmies are simply vying for my attention...

Celeste

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Just wanted to "bump" this post up to go along with Part 2 which was higher up...didn't want anyone reading that post to miss Part 1. Thanks.

• Jean Marion (z6a Idaho)
    16 years ago

WOW that picture of WARSAW NIKE & SWEET AUTUMN CLEMATIS together! I never thought of putting a big and small clematis together... I know what I'm going to do this spring!

• hotpotatoe
    16 years ago

You have a wonderful garden, those clematis are stunning. I'm so impressed. I have 4 that I planted last year and survived the summer. I can only aspire to have such beauty. How wonderful.

• carla17
    16 years ago

Celeste, where did you find the willow obelisk? I love willow structures. Sigh, I think my Perle d'Azur died. Your garden is lovely and the clematis are stunning.

Carla

• peachiekean
    16 years ago

Celeste, I also wonder where you found the willow structure. It's beautiful. I just bought my first clematis (Bonanza). I think I want it on the other side of the arch with Buff Beauty. I am hoping it will do okay.
    Mary

• katefisher
    16 years ago

Celeste:

Lovely as always. Can I ask who is the rose at the base of obelisk at the last picture? The dark reddish rose. I like it.

Thanks.

Kate

• jean_ar
    16 years ago

WOW!!!!!Sure wish I knew your secret to such big full plants that you have.They are all gorgeous.Mine just shoot up one stem with blooms on the ends.I did have one that was full and bushy but,it accidently got cut down and it never came back.And,I have a nother one I planted first of last year that looks like its going to be a beauty,also,.At least I hope so.Bought 6 of them from Home depot last spring and lost 3 of them in less then a month.,but,I don't give up easy,so will get some more.

Jean

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi...
    I didn't even realize that this old thread of mine had been resurrected until now....sorry that I didn't get back to those who asked questions & commented.

Decobug...I actually got the inspiration to pair those two together after seeing a display of clematis at Montreal Botanical Garden where they paired up some large & small clematis.
    hot potatoe... thanks for your kind comments. One thing I realized with clematis is to be patient....it takes some years before they really look impressive.
    Carla and Mary...I got that willow obelisk one year at a store we have up here in New England called "Christmas Tree Shoppes" so unfortunately you wouldn't have any there.
    Kate....the very dark red rose at the base of the obelisk is the hybrid perpetual "Alfred Colomb".
    Jean....for some reason clematis seem to do well here and seem to enjoy our cold winters and short summers.

I am posting a new thread for all of you of a few more of my clematis....thanks for your nice comments!

Celeste

• jess2132000
    15 years ago

More photos please!! Can't wait till mine bloom!!!

• katefisher
    15 years ago

I love it. Thanks Celeste.

Kate

• gnabonnand
    15 years ago

I am glad to see this old post re-surface. If you scroll up, I said that my two year old clematis should probably be "put out of its misery." The date on my post was 2006. You should see that same clematis now ('Jackmani'). It's beautiful now, and one of my favorite plants in the entire garden. It took four years to become established, but it was worth the wait!

Randy

• CapeHeart
    15 years ago

Celeste! I decided to look through the Rose Gallery tonight as it has been sooo cold and rainy - just raw here. Well I came upon this post and woa!!!!! How BEAUTIFUL!!!!! I have never sadly gotten any clematis to look like yours! UGH! What a beautiful yard - say you want to take a trip here and spread your magic around? :-) Thanks for sharing these pics, they are inspiring!

• hartwood
    15 years ago

Absolutely, unbelieveably incredible!!!

Connie

• BecR
    15 years ago

Gorgeous gardens and photos, Celeste!!! What a great reminder of what is yet to come this year!!!:)

I've not tried growing clematis (thought it was too hot here, but if Randy can, so can I, probably!). Not much space left in my small garden, so may go with one of the smaller new patio varieties like "Cezanne". Thanks for the pretty pix--I'm inspired! :)Becky

• rosegrower
    15 years ago

Wow, those are beautiful photos! I have a couple Clamatis and plan to buy some more. They sure do make great companions for roses.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022