Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulieinct

Old Cemetery

paulieinct
9 years ago

A friend and I have adopted an old cemetery near my house. It was badly neglected over many decades. Over the past three years or so we fixed the gravestones and planted daffodils, shrubs, perennials, and roses. My friend researched all the family plots and even typed up little histories which are placed near each plot. There are many Civil War veterans buried there.

Gardening there has been a challenge, and some areas are struggling, but it is coming along. Soil is poor, and it could use more sun. The star performer today is an old tree hydrangea. It was pretty ratty looking a few years ago, but with some pruning and fertilizer it has really come to life. There is nothing quite like an old gnarly tree hydrangea in an old cemetery.

Comments (15)

• paulieinct
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another shot. Roses aren't doing much right now, but we may have small flush in a few weeks. I need to get more nitrogen in that soil. Rosetone is not enough.

We set up a 1,000 gal. water tank at the top of the hill. We pump water into it from a brook down below, and then water the plants using gravity feed.

• paulieinct
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm really starting to love Helianthus. I whack them back hard in July to keep them shorter and bushier.

• paulieinct
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Veterans' Monument:

• paulieinct
    Original Author
    9 years ago

.......and hardy hibiscus:

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

Paul - You and your friend are doing a great job with a challenging project, it's beautiful! Hopefully the hard work you've done is appreciated.

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    9 years ago

Oh, I just love it! You have done a wonderful job!

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    9 years ago

Y'all are doing great! It looks beautiful! It's so sweet what y'all are doing!!

• eibren
    9 years ago

What a nice thing to do.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    9 years ago

I'm impressed! Great thing you did! :-)

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

So lovely and they seem to just perfectly fit the spot! Well done!
    Carol

• shopshops
    9 years ago

What a labor of love! Everything is just so beautiful. Paul I now have two Savoy hotel roses since you posted pics a few weeks ago. Thanks for the inspiration.

• paulieinct
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all. And shopshops, I think you will love your Savoy Hotel. -Paul

• paulieinct
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Over the past three years I have had helpers who have not been very diligent about not misplacing the labels on my many own-root roses. Consequently, I now have about a hundred roses that I am trying to identify. Many are varieties that I have not grown before, making ID a challenge, Fortunately, I kept all my invoices, so eventually I believe I'll figure it all out.

Here is one of the mystery roses in the cemetery:

• dizzylizzy 7b
    9 years ago

I am really impressed by your efforts. The cemetery is charming. You have done a beautiful job. I'm sure it is much appreciated. I just love it when people like you take on such a challenge to beautify their community.