Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethnorcal9

This weekend's blooms

bethnorcal9
10 years ago

Here are some of the blooms from this weekend...

ABOUT FACE
{{gwi:1273619}}

ANTIGUA
{{gwi:1273620}}

BANNER
{{gwi:1273621}}

BILLY GRAHAM
{{gwi:1273622}}

CARELESS LOVE - I love it when it mutates like this!
{{gwi:1273623}}

CHARLES AUSTIN
{{gwi:234853}}

DAILY SKETCH
{{gwi:1273624}}

EASY DOES IT
{{gwi:1273625}}

ELSIE MELTON
{{gwi:1197970}}

FOURTH OF JULY CL
{{gwi:1273626}}

FRAGRANT APRICOT
{{gwi:1273627}}

GIRLS NIGHT OUT

GOLDEN FREELANDER
{{gwi:1198907}}

HENRI MATISSE

ILSE

MATILDA - aka CHARLES AZNAVOUR

MULAN

OUR LADY OF GUADALUPE
{{gwi:214265}}

PADDY STEPHENS
{{gwi:1206647}}

ROEDEAN
{{gwi:350497}}

Mutation of ROEDEAN - notice the sublte pink splashes on white

Comments (7)

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

HENRI MATISSE and ROEDEAN are making me lust for a strong pink stripey!

Like I need another pastel pink ........ but CHARLES AZNAVOUR is too pretty to resist if I saw it at a nursery.

Gorgeous, yummy, ummmm.

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

They are all wonderful. I love the shape of the Antigua bud.

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Wow!!!! Your Roeden is amazing!! Love, love it!! So pretty! How big are the blooms?

Wow!! The Careless Love mutation is fabulous. It's not every bloom - but just occasionally?? So pretty!

I love them all, and especially Mulan, too.

thanks for the look at the lovelies.
    Carol

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Iris gal, MATILDA/CHARLES AZNAVOUR is a lovely rose, but the blooms blow really fast. And they're actually more white than pink. The pink is mostly there in the early stage and fades as it opens. Still a pretty rose tho.

Kittymoonbeam, I like ANTIGUA, but it rarely blooms. I think I have it in a spot that probably needs some amendments and more fertlizer. That was the first bloom I can remember in yrs. But a nice surprise.

Carol, ROEDEAN is one of my favorite stripeys. One of Frank Benardella's most beautiful roses. I may be the only person left who has it. Altho I did send cuttings to Cliff before he closed up EuroDesert Roses, and I think he sent a handful of the rooted ones to Vintage Gardens, so there may be a few other people who managed to get it. I need to get cuttings to either RU or Heirloom so we can get it back into circulation. I actually sent Frank some cuttings a yr or so before he passed, and I don't know if he got them budded or not. His plant had died some time ago from what he told me. The rose blooms almost all season. tons of blooms, all so beautiful with that tight spiral and lovely striping. They are on average about 3" or a bit less maybe. Not huge blooms, but certainly not miniflora sized. No scent that I recollect.
    And as for CARELESS LOVE, it mutates like that quite frequently. In fact there are at least three blooms with lt pink sections on them right now. Once or twice a yr there will also be a solid pale pink bloom, or even almost white. Both of these roses are in one of my favorite beds. All stripeys in mostly pinks or pink, red and white. Another of Frank's lovelies in that bed is ZEBRA, which is very smilar to ROEDEAN. It tends to start out more of a rosey-red and white stripe, and then often throws out some white with lt pinks. Very interesting roses.

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

And just that fast a rose can be lost. Good thing it's doing well in your garden and that you're trying to get it out there. Good for you! :) Sounds like an awesome rose and soooo pretty! Careless Love sounds so interesting - such mutability is very cool.
    Carol

• inga007
    10 years ago

Lovely to see all these blooms. I love the way you describe the" in's and out's"

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

Fantastic rosy pics Beth! :)