Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flaurabunda

Friday night lights, a la roses

flaurabunda
13 years ago

Here's some I took last night. Best conditions for taking photos are right after the sun comes up, or just before it's going down.

World War II Memorial

What I love about WWII is the dark, dark foliage and how it contrasts with the porcelain blooms. Just awesome to me.

The miniflora Flawless, getting ready to explode again:

Tahitian Sunset, who always poses so proper:

And Tabasco Cat, another miniflora. This one never blows out of a spiral form. Just an absolutely perfect mini.

Finally, a picture showing progress. This one amazes me the most. The first one was taken July 13th, when everything had been in the ground about 2 months. The second one was taken last night.

Hope everyone is having a lovely weekend!

---Laura

Comments (10)

• peachymomo
    13 years ago

I am jealous! Your roses are beautiful, and seeing how much they have grown is inspiring.

I just met with a landscape architect and learned that I'm not going to be able to install my rose beds for at least two years : * ( Other 'more important' things need to be done first, so my roses with languish in their pots and I will admire photos of other peoples' beautiful rose gardens.

Thanks for sharing!

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    13 years ago

Cheers! Great roses flaurabunda!

• flaurabunda
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Peachy! Thanks Jim!

• jean_ar
    13 years ago

wow, Thats some really great looking roses,and I just love them mini's.

Jean

• mnkitty
    13 years ago

Laura,
    Your roses are so pretty and healthy. I plan to set up my soaker hoses the same way. It seems that hardly any water comes out of those things. How often and how long do you have them on?
    Thanks,
    Kitty

• flaurabunda
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I actually leave them open all the time if we get LOTS of rain, but that's because they come from my rain barrels & not a regular tap. They are gravity-fed only, so there's no pressure to force water through the hose walls. They were junk hoses that I had run over with the Jeep, or hit with the lawn mower, or had faced some other disaster. I just hooked them up & drilled into the hose about every 10 inches with a 1/4" drill bit, and it works okay. The problem with soaker hose-type material is that it swells up in the heat & the holes eventually close up.

We get rain pretty frequently, and I can't hold all of it in my rain barrels, so I keep one tap open 100% of the time. One small (35-gal) barrel drains into the rose bed, and the 55-gallon one drains out into the street.

If there isn't any rain in the forecast, I'll close all the taps to conserve water. After about 2 days of no rain, I'll drain half a barrel into the rose bed. I still have to haul water by hand to the other areas in the yard, but it saved a boatload on my water bill.

• sanrosa
    13 years ago

Oh, so inspiring! Thank you for sharing your lovely photos.
    I love that Tobasco Cat now.
    Sandra

• paulieinct
    13 years ago

Great pix Laura. Tell me, how do you like WW II Memorial rose? Disease resistant for you? -Paul

• flaurabunda
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I love it! It's only 2 or 3 months old, but I'm very pleased so far. It was blackspot-ridden when I rescued it from a nursery in late June. I've sprayed it twice; once when I brought it home, and again sometime around late August. I usually just hit the new growth after it starts to fade from burgundy to green.

The fragrance is strong; one bloom in a vase fills my living & dining rooms. It glows in the dark at sunrise and sunset, too. It's such an odd grey/white/lavender that it's truly eerie looking, but in a very good way.

I'm sure mine is grafted since I bought an active grower in pot; no nursery here would have a clue what "own-root" means.

• kathy9norcal
    13 years ago

Great post. I love that red mini! I'd be picking little bouquets all the time.
    I killed Tahitian Sunset and it never performed as it could have. Alas . . . your is beautiful though.

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator