Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethnorcal9

This week's blooms

bethnorcal9
13 years ago

I been planting and planting the last couple weeks. Extending one of the beds to empty out some of the pot ghettos. (so I can add more...LOL) Weather's cooler, days are getting shorter, my bones are achin' and there's so much to be done before winter hits. I don't think I'll make it all. What else is new? Oh, one of the (deer) "sisters" brought her two babies into my front yard this morning. Had to chase them off. Her & her two little itty bitty "bambis." They don't usually go into the front yard. I have to get out and assess the damage! Dangit!

Here's the best of what's been bloomin' this week. I'm having a hard time with the new camera. I think I might need to try the tripod!

ANNA

{{gwi:1275607}}

BRANDENBURG GATE

{{gwi:1275608}}

BUTTERSCOTCH CL

{{gwi:1203868}}

CAPRICE

{{gwi:1275609}}

COLORIFIC - I'm really liking this new one!

{{gwi:341832}}

DUBLIN

{{gwi:1275610}}

JOLLY ROGER

{{gwi:1275611}}

MOM'S ROSE

{{gwi:1275612}}

PAW MAW - not the best pic, but it's an interesting rose...

{{gwi:1275613}}

ROSETTE DELIZY

{{gwi:1275614}}

ST CECELIA

{{gwi:1275615}}

SCANDIA

{{gwi:1275616}}

SILVER CLOUD

{{gwi:1275617}}

STARSHINE

{{gwi:1275618}}

SWEET SAN CARLOS - one of the Orchard Supply Hardware roses

{{gwi:1275619}}

Comments (20)

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    13 years ago

Hey Beth, This weeks blooms are beautiful as always. I know what you mean about working so much trying to get it all done before old man winter checks in. I have been digging and mulching like a mad woman. grrrr....and ooooh the aching bones. I wanted to get as much done this fall so I wouldn't have that much to do this spring. I too enlarged some beds and hope to stick to my guns and not enlarge anymore or add anymore beds but you know how that goes. ha ha!! It looks like you did a good job with your new camera. I have lost mine, somewhere out in the yard i'm sure, so I haven't been able to take any pics for a couple weeks now. Well take care and rest up some inbetween pot ghetto and flower bed. Judy

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    13 years ago

COLORIFIC has a nice bloom and Dublin looks like it glows.
    All are very nice rose blooms Beth!

• lesmc
    13 years ago

Colorific is just beautiful. I will have to look it up...Thanks, Beth.

• inga007
    13 years ago

Lovely, never seen before blooms, as always, you have some surprises. I particularly loved the strong colours of Dublin and Jolly Roger.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    13 years ago

Colorific was on my "must see" list. I wondered specifically how the colors aged. This is very pretty indeed. Thanks for helping me out again.....Maryl

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

I loved your picture of Rosette Delizy, one of my favorite roses. Very pretty composition and unexpected among your moderns.

• mnkitty
    13 years ago

Beth,
    You have so many pretty roses. I would love to see a picture of the expanded bed. Not now though. When you have time.
    Thanks,
    Kitty

• snowheather
    13 years ago

Those pictures look fine to me. I have a tripod, but it is sometimes cumbersome to use.

The BUTTERSCOTCH climber you influenced me to buy last year has grown beautifully in a pot and is ready to go in the ground shortly. Like you, I love that color!

I have PAW MAW, too, and the color is great, but I am waiting to see what it does bloom-wise when it gets mature, since I got it as an own-root last year.

COLORIFIC is one of the Week's 2011 releases I won in their contest this year. I liked them all, but especially PURPLE SPLASH, WHITE LICORICE, and, best of all, DICK CLARK. Did you get those, too?

• jon_z6b
    13 years ago

Thanks, nice roses and pics!

• aswhad
    13 years ago

Will i ever find that Butterscotch....
    Great pics !!!

• jean_ar
    13 years ago

Great looking roses Beth.Mama deer bringing her babies to your yard to show them where they can get dinner.Thats what happened here too last spring.Mama Deer brought 2 babies to me yard to show them where they can find dinner.They have stripped all of my roses of all the buds and eaves,too.i can spray them and they leave them alone,until it comes a rain late at night and wash the roses clean,and they come eat them up before daylight..Sure wish they would eat some poison berries some where.

Jean

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everybody!

Judy! LOL... how could you lose you camera out in the yard?? You crack me up!

Kitty I'll try to get a pic of the bed maybe when there's more blooming. It's kinda sparse right now. Plus those little B!#@&s were out there yesterday chowing on everything.

Jean you're right... Mama deer is showing her babes where to come for the smorgasbord! Thing is, when she and her sister were little they lost their mama early, and they used to pass thru the yard a lot, but didn't chow like this at all; and they were two near-adults last yr. Now, she and her little brats are eating way more in one week than she and her sister did all season! I gotta spray repellent today!!

Snowheather, my PAW MAW is an own-root from RU about 3-4yrs ago. It's now a huge, nearly 6ft tall plant and the blooms are nice, but they blow pretty fast. So you won a contest & got all those roses free? That's so cool. I got them all this past season, except for DICK CLARK, which I have on order for next spring. I really think COLORIFIC is going to be a great rose. But then I love the orange blends.

• wanttogarden
    13 years ago

Beth:

I always enjoy looking at your pictures, here and on HMF. I love, love, love, ROSETTE DELIZY. I am a sucker for that color combination.

From pictures you have posted on HMF, I think you have Barrone E. de Rothschild. Can you tell me of its growth habits: how wide and tall? Is it bushy or just tall? Does it bloom all over the plant or only on top? Does it keep most of its leaves until the end of the season?

Thank you,
    FJ

• dove_song
    13 years ago

What a fun assortment you have here, Bethie. I think out of all of these--BUTTERSCOTCH CL is my favorite! :)

Debbie

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Debbie!

FJ, I do have BEDR. I've had the rose for many yrs, and it nearly died on me a few yrs back. It's taken a looooong time to come back. This yr it really did great. Finally! It tends to grow low and spready. Right now it's about 3ft x 3ft. It had a lot of blooms all over the plant, for the first time in yrs. The color is gorgeous and the form is really nice.

• wanttogarden
    13 years ago

Thanks Beth. I am glad you did not lose your BEDR. Mine is in my pot getto waiting for some one to get SPed. It is grafted and is not too bushy yet.

• paulieinct
    13 years ago

Beautiful, especially like 'Brandenburg Gate', 'Mom's Rose', and 'Scandia'. -Paul

• kathy9norcal
    13 years ago

Ditto. It is a really pretty bunch of roses, Beth. What kind of camera do you have? Pictures look fine to me.

If I lost my camera in the yard, it would be gone! I'd never hear the end of it, too. :)

• tink1865
    12 years ago

Where can I purchase the Brandenburg Gate Rose? I live in Missouri and I love them.

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't think anybody has it anymore.

Sponsored
Custom Decks, Patios & Outdoor Enclosures Solutions in Loudoun County