Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulieinct

'Aunt Honey'

paulieinct
13 years ago

'Aunt Honey' is a Griffith Buck hybrid that deserves to be much better known. It grows like 'Queen Elizabeth' - mine is over 6' even after a hard Spring pruning. Extremely winter-hardy, no die-back, and disease free. I just whacked it back since it was like a skyscraper in that rose bed, and put the flowers in a vase. Not much fragrance, unfortunately.

Comments (21)

• paulieinct
    Original Author
    13 years ago

With Baby, my umbrella cockatoo:

• paulieinct
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Another shot:

• lesmc
    13 years ago

That`s one beautiful rose! Thanks for sharing. Lesley

• dove_song
    13 years ago

Beautiful, feathered friend you have there, Paul! Is Baby a girl or boy cockatoo?

Buck's Aunt Honey is a rose I've enjoyed growing in the past. Love her name. And you are right; she is a dandy rose. Yours is looking splendidly! And I'll add my "thanks for sharing" as well. :)

Debbie

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

Wonderful pics. Baby is perfect companion with it.

• paulieinct
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks all. Debbie: Baby is a female, and she is very ladylike in her behavior except for screaming like a BANSHEE at dusk every night cuz the sun is going down and ain't never coming back!!!! She has a long learning curve.

• majenta
    13 years ago

Beautiful rose, name and Pictures! I may have to give it a try if I can find it here. Baby is a beauty too. She looks like she likes to have her picture taken.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    13 years ago

Great rose Paul! Love the umbrella cockatoo too!

• mnkitty
    13 years ago

Hi Paul,

Aunt Honey is lovely but, I'm afraid Baby stole the show for us. My daughter thinks she is so pretty and, the bit about screaming like a BANSHEE gave me a much needed laugh.

Thank you,
    Kitty

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

Beautiful pictures---I especially like the one in the glass vase-----

Florence

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    13 years ago

Very pretty. I've seen this rose in person and loved the color. Yours is no exception.

• sanrosa
    13 years ago

Now Aunt Honey is on my LONG want list. Beautiful! I like the idea of having plenty of roses to cut. I wish the Buck Roses were more fragrant. They grow so happily in my yard. But, I guess we can't have everything in one package.
    Beautiful photos of the roses and Baby.
    Sandra

• dove_song
    13 years ago

Paul, Baby sounds adorable except for that part about her screaming like a BANSHEE at dusk every night. That is a cute characteristic (since she lives with you); it made me smile and laugh with delight--and I appreciate that! But I've heard cockatoos scream, and they are LOUD. How do you cope with that? Earplugs? :)

• paulieinct
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Debbie: When Baby does her Banshee routine, oftentimes I'll shut the door to the sunroom and go to the other end of the house. Or I'll put her in her cage and put a dark sheet over it, and she usually shuts up immediately.

The problem is in the summer the sunroom windows are open and the whole neighborhood can hear her screaming. Since I don't wanna get kicked out of the neighborhood, I'll shut the windows and that muffles the sound for the neighbors.

You can't punish a parrot for being vocal, that's what they do. Now, I have two other parrots, a large Catalina Macaw and a cherry-headed conure. When Baby starts her routine, they yell at her, "Cool it Baby!!!", "Quiet!!!!!". They're a riot!

• katefisher
    13 years ago

Just lovely. I have to go check out Aunt Honey now. Enjoyed the photos greatly.

Kate

• bethnorcal9
    13 years ago

Wow AUNT HONEY is gorgeous! But so is BABY!! Birds are funny. I can't have them because of my cats. But my mother-in-law had a Grey-something (African grey maybe?) can't remember. It was funny. She used to go around singing in a high voice, being silly, and that bird (who now lives with one of her daughters) apparently still sings just like her. Sounds like she's singing opera! How fun to have them all yakking at each other like yours do! That's got to be hilarious.

• dove_song
    13 years ago

LOL, Paul. Sounds like your birds bring you lots of joy. How wonderful for you to have such comical characters living in your home. Plus you get to grow roses, too. It's all good!!!!!!! ;)

That's funny, Beth!!

Debbie

• serenasyh
    13 years ago

just briefly popped by to say hi, lovely pink roses, and equally lovely bird!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    13 years ago

Lovely blooms!

As for posting more than one pic, it is very simple. Paste the HTML CODE for the first pic--DO NOT HIT "SUBMIT"--instead, press "enter" a couple times and then paste the HTML CODE for the second pic--DO NOT HIT "SUBMIT"--instead, press "enter" a couple times and then paste the HTML CODE for the third pic--etc.--when all the HTML CODES are inserted, then hit "submit."

By the way, you can type comments before and after each HTML CODE. Just hit "enter" to control how much space above and below the code.

Hope that helps.

Kate

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

very pretty! I like the petal shape. Your bird is charming, too.