Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seil_gw

The Rs

seil zone 6b MI
12 years ago

Robin Alonso, miniflora, pretty red color but can have weak stems.

Ruffled Cloud is a deeper pink but not too bright and good bloomer.

{{gwi:1275813}}

Rose de Rescht smells sooo good! Only really gets one bloom flush in spring here though.

{{gwi:1275814}}

Reine des Violettes makes RdR seem like a slacker in the fragrance department! You can smell it from 6 feet away! Also only blooms once for me.

Red Intuition is a gorgeous florist rose that's turned out to be a great garden rose! Very vigours grower and bloomer, good winter hardiness too, but it will black spot.

{{gwi:1275816}}

Rise n Shine is a sweet Ralph Moore mini with very bright yellow blooms that hold their color pretty well.

{{gwi:1275817}}

Rural Rhythm is a lovely soft pink Buck rose with good fragrance. It does have weak necks though.

Comments (13)

• inga007
    12 years ago

Give me fragrant roses every time....

Thanks for posting your alphabet.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

What a lovely pic of Rural Rhythm !

I like Red Intuition also.

You must grow lots of minis. What percentage of your roses are minis?

At any rate, they are all lovely.

Kate

• ron_and_susan
    12 years ago

Seil--The pics of Ruffled Cloud and Rural Rhythm (They are two I have never seen) should be in a magazine. Great photo's.-- Ron

• ron_and_susan
    12 years ago

SEIL--i have enjoyed your pics even though I have not commented very often. Would love to work up a Roseart using your roses if you don't mind.--RON

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Inga, I like the smelly ones too!

Thank you, Kate. We've had a lot of rain so I have a lot of pictures of wet roses! Some people don't care for the water drops in the pictures but sometimes I think they're lovely. I'm probably at about 50/50 right now with regular and mini roses. A lot of them stay smaller so they take less space and/or smaller pots. Some of them can get quite large though.

Thank you so much, Ron! What a nice compliment! I wouldn't mind at all if you used some in your art works.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

LOVE your Reine des Violettes!

• Krista_5NY
    12 years ago

What a beautiful pic of Reine des Violettes, Seil. I love the blend of colors.

I, too, grow RdV. I get a handful of blooms in the summer and autumn, but it's not a heavy rebloomer....

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    12 years ago

Wow, your shot of Rural Rhythm is so elegant! Love, love, love the color on Ruffled Cloud. Thanks for sharing, Judy

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Hose!

Thank you, Krista, mine has given me one or two blooms in the fall but not every year. I guess it depends on the weather.

Thank you, Judy. Surprisingly for such a pale color RR doesn't get brown spots or ball in the rain. Ruffled Could is a deep pink but is not HOT pink or fuchsia. It has a very decorative form and holds it's color and blooms well. No fragrance though.

• the_dark_lady
    12 years ago

Oh, Sail, your pictures are wonderful. My absolute favorite is Rural Rhythm. It is to die for! So beautiful and refined. Raindrops make her even prettier.
    Marina

• organicgardendreams
    12 years ago

Seil, very beautiful roses, again! Your shot of Reine des Violettes is to die for. I grow this rose, too, but it doesn't like my alkaline soil it seems. Seeing you pictures makes me want to try even harder to make mine more happy by acidifying the soil.

The last photo of Rural Rhythm is gorgeous. I haven't heard about this rose, so thanks introducing it to me.

Christina

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Garden Dreams

• strawchicago z5
    12 years ago

Seil: Thanks for making me happy with your pictures.

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, Marina! I've been very happy with RR. It was one of the last roses I got from Great Lakes before they closed and Alan picked it because he liked the fragrance. I wanted Distant Drums but he doesn't care for the "dirty brown roses", as he calls them, so we got RR instead and I'm glad we did.

Thanks, Christina. I don't really know what kind of soil I have. The subdivision was built on reclaimed lake bed (in the 50s, the DNR won't let builders do that now) and it's mostly sticky gray clay. RdV seems to be happy with it though. She's enormous! Close to 12 feet tall. I've been bending the canes around and tying them to a trellis. She broke the steel trellis! But I'm afraid to prune her back because I know she resents heavy pruning. I don't know what to do with her!

Thank you, Strawberry, I'm glad you enjoy them!