jon_z6b
13 years ago

Carefree Beauty seedling

Flirtatious seedling

Knockout seedling

Comments (11)

• bethnorcal9
    13 years ago

These are all interesting. Are they OP seedlings? Or did you cross them with other roses?

• jon_z6b
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Unfortunately I don't keep careful enough track...
    The CB seedling I have no idea who the dad might be.
    Flirtatious seedling should have (knockout x Flirtatious) as the dad- dunno, it didn't get the disease resistance I was wanting (although it's not bad).
    The last is for sure Knockout x Oklahoma... probably my best seedling of the year.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    13 years ago

Interesting and very nice jon_z6b!

• sanrosa
    13 years ago

Very lovely!
    It must be thrilling to breed your own rose. I wonder if your Knockout x Oklahoma is very fragrant? Or perhaps it is too soon to tell. And how old are these seedlings of yours?
    Maybe you can help me. We have a little voulenteer mini rose coming up next to an established mini. Could it be a seedling? Perhaps an offshoot of its host? Is there any way to know without digging it up? The tiny bloom is a little different from the yellow mini next to it...more apricot in color and a little different shape. But it is so tiny I don't know.

Here next to the bigger rose:

Here on its own:

A closeup of the blooms on the older rose:

Thank you for sharing your seedling project, and thanks in advance for your expert opinion!
    Sandra

• jon_z6b
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"I wonder if your Knockout x Oklahoma is very fragrant?"
    only slightly...I'm working on that.

You're little rose is most definitely a foundling (ok seedling)- it's cute.

• sanrosa
    13 years ago

Thank you, Jon! How exciting to have an accidental seedling of my own. Does that happen very often?
    Congrats on your fragrant K x O. Even a littly fragrance is exciting. It will be interexting to follow the progress of it, and the others, so please continue to share photos, if you can.
    Sandra

• sweetmichelia
    13 years ago

Jon I would love to start seedlings, I have started many roses from a branch, can you tell me what process you go thru to start rose seeds? I would appreciate it. Marilyn

• jon_z6b
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Personally, I just plant the seed, like I would any other, in pots and overwinter outside. Once I start getting stray germinations I bring inside under lights until spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose hybridization how to..

• sweetmichelia
    13 years ago

So what color does the HIP have to be to pick it? then do you just tear it apart and put it in the frig or do you just plant the seeds?

• jon_z6b
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's a good question. I tend to wait until long as possible (brown & starting to dry). According to the thread in the link given there is no advantage in this. So I would go with the 120 days answer over my method. Yes I tear the hip and just barely plant the seeds in pots. I don't use the refrigerator cold stratification method (just find what works best for you- have fun with it..).

Here's another. Carefree Beauty x PJPII

Here is a link that might be useful: Hip maturity:

• jon_z6b
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm sorry. Don't mean to be rude.
    "how old are these seedlings of yours? " These are all from this year (8 months or less).

"accidental seedling of my own. Does that happen very often?"
    Not really. I've only had one come up in the yard once (from The Fairy)- and I've been growing for awhile. I've had some mysteries come up in pots though. I believe the famous rose, Ophelia, is claimed to be a foundling.