Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ptboise

Landscape shots with roses

ptboise
11 years ago

My problem has been to create landscaping that doesn't get lost on acreage. I've tried to create rooms and islands, and to have gardens with roses rather than rose gardens. This is about the fourth year, and it's always a work in progress.

This is a front island with Carefree Sunshine, Homerun, Purple Pavement, Bolero, Carefree Delight, Belinda's Dream, Echinacea, Russian Sage, Walker's Low, Galliarda, Rudbekia, and heaven-knows-what else. There is also a lonely Hansa on the other side of the drive (love that rose!).

This is the same island, but from a different angle.

{{gwi:1276333}}

A shot down our driveway. That's our water well surrounded by ornamental grass, and a view (albeit blurred) of Caldwell Pinks, Quietness, Crimson Bouquet, Dortmund on the wall, Cardinal Hume, etc.

A shot from the back porch. Crimson Bouquet, Molineaux, Jeannie LaJoie, Wild Blue Yonder, Climbing America, Easy Does It, Iceberg, IHT, veronicas, nepeta, cerastium, kitchen sink, etc. That dead tree was a sycamore killed by a virus, so I'm attempting to have a 4th of July and Polish Spirit clematis wrap around it (in its second year).

I've plopped in tough roses where they are by-and-large on their own in fence corners. This is Robusta at the entrance to one of the small vineyards. It gets watered about every ten days and rewards us by being constantly in bloom.

As always, the place is a work in progress. I do know this - without roses, it would be a drab and dull place to be.

Comments (14)

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Really nice landscaping! It must be great to have all that land to plant on! I know I shouldn't complain because my 1.5 acres is more than a lot of people have available for planting, but it looks like you could just go crazy! I love it!

Tammy

• the_dark_lady
    11 years ago

Ptboise, your gardens are absolutely stunning!
    You are using your acreage beautifully. I would like to borrow some of your ideas for my garden (I also have a 'problem' with acreage :)))

Could you please help me identifying your companion plants. I think I recognized Perovskia, but what are the other bluish flowers on photo #3?

I am blown away by the beauty of your garden!

Marina

• ptboise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tammy and Marina - thank you for your kind words. Sincerely.

Marina, those are Walker's Low Nepeta. They put on a great show in the Spring for about five weeks, then you just whack them back and they put on another 5-6 week show in the late summer. Bulletproof plants.

• the_dark_lady
    11 years ago

Thank you very much, Ptboise!
    And thank you for the advice on nepeta. I also have Walker's Low but I didn't know that I should cut it back after the first cycle of blooming. Live and learn:)))
    Marina

• paulieinct
    11 years ago

Stunning shots. Beautiful job.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

I love the landscaping around your house. It must be particularly challenging designing gardens with the wide open spaces surrounding them. I've always had neighbors crowding up a bit too close--like how to squeeze more roses in. We have opposite problems!

Kate

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    11 years ago

Extremely lovely compositions, color- and plant-wise. I doubt a professional could have done a better job than you, and this has the charm of your personal touch. Congratulations! I'm sure it will get better year by year.

Ingrid

• canadian_rose
    11 years ago

I couldn't have done that in a million years!!! Gorgeous!!! So, pretty - wow - you are very talented!!!

One note of warning though - do you get carpenter ants there? My m-i-law had a dead tree and the carpenter ants were everywhere and could have gotten to her house. She had to hire someone to come and get rid of them.

Thanks so much for the look!!
    Carol

• ptboise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for your comments - each of you are exceedingly kind. The Forum has been a Godsend for me the last five years as - during the fall and winter - I agonize, fret, and worry over what to plant and where. Given our winters, and late hard freezes (first week of May), toughness has become a prime attribute of whatever I stick in the ground. And, in lieu of any special treatment, my wife's horses provide plenty of dried manure to toss around the beds and improve the soil.

My family views my passion for roses and landscape as somewhat aberrant behavior; I've always been an avid outdoorsman with an enthusiasm for fly fishing and bird hunting. The roses are another outdoor outlet - and one that can be done with a glass of wine in one hand and snips in the other (although my wife and 20 year old daughter cringe at my appearance after coming home from work and changing into old work boots, shorts, work shirt, and well-past-its-prime straw hat. They pray - PRAY - that no one visits while I'm out and about).

Over the last few years, the Forum has become like an old friend, with such remarkable insights, humor, and community. We all have mental images of each other which may or may not be correct. But one thing I am absolutely sure of; regardless of wildly disparate world views and politics, I could have a nice glass of Pinot Gris and meander through gardens with any of you and, assuredly, have a delightful time.

Carol - I'm not sure if we have Carpenter Ants. That sycamore (actually an English Plane tree in the sycamore family), while dead, is still as solid as a fence post. I haven't seen any ants - but thanks for the heads-up. I'll keep an eye out.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

My belated compliments on your beautifully thought out plantings, pt. It's such a treat to see a close up of your home with that glorious flower bed against it. I'm going to have to drive down Dry Creek again because I still haven't seen your house, but I think I could pick it out now. Thanks again for this post. Diane

• ptboise
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Diane,
    Please feel free to drop in any time!

• zeffyrose
    11 years ago

I'm so happy I stopped in to the Gallery today haven't been here for a while-----Your roses are gorgeous----great landscaping ---My gardens are a mess right now and it makes me happy to see such a well-cared for home--

Florence

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

You've done a beautiful job of landscaping!

• User
    11 years ago

Lovely tour around your garden,..its a beauty,..those Nepeta really catch your eye,..all very healthy looking rose bushes,..could it be the horse manure,..i envy you the horse manure on hand,..i had to laugh out loud here at your comment about how your family look at your garden interests and gardening attire,..i know the feeling,..as a Fly fishing hunting person i get some funny looks when i really get stuck into my gardening mode.

Philip