Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim1961_gw

just getting started (part 11)

Here's some recent pics of Precious Platinum and Sweet Afton.

PRECIOUS PLATIUM:

{{gwi:1276557}}

{{gwi:1276558}}

SWEET AFTON:

{{gwi:1276559}}

Comments (11)

• wesley_butterflies
    14 years ago

I can't even figure out how to get pics on this forum but very nice growing for the 2 new to you roses

• serenasyh
    14 years ago

Jim, yes, your action plan seems wonderful and yes, I am going to be copycatting your strategy!!!

I am very happy that you are also posting Platinum blooms. Hurray and am very happy that you get to finally enjoy their blooms. My favorite and only time I can take photos of my Lincolns are very late afternoon or early morning, otherwise they wash out and the colors distort. Thank goodness my Lincolns have so many buds this time. Their bloom liveliness was washed out by the incessant thunderstorms we had yesterday. I have to wait for the next prolific buds to open and hope the rain stays away for my next Lopsided Garden post.

Hi, Wes! I am very happy to see you here! Here is a thread that I started on how to post photos online. You can read through but the best! most concise how-to is actually at the bottom of the thread. It covers Everything! how to get your photos into Photobucket and then transferring the image link into your message.

how to post rose photos online

• serenasyh
    14 years ago

Sweet Afton also looks lovely! I know you complain that her petals blow very quickly as soon as she opens. But it's like cherry blossoms if you think of it. They are prolific like a carpet of white and so maybe your sister will be happier with 2 growing side-by-side. It has that petal scattering like cherry blossoms. I think once Sweet Afton matures and gets large it will produce that same effect and you'll get that carpet of white appearance.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The bloom pic I took of Sweet Afton today, already fell off the bush.(LOL)
    I'm wore out from picking up fallen petals.(LOL)

{{gwi:1276559}}

Original Author
    14 years ago

Today was a overcast day with some rain, so, no sun to screw up pics. (LOL)
    I'll ask my sister if she wants Sweet Afton. It's a shame its petals fall off so easily as it does have great looking foilage.
    Sue cut a bloom off the other day that was only about 3/4 open and put it in a vase in the house. It only lasted until the next day and the petals fell off. (LOL)

• iris_gal
    14 years ago

Sweet Afton 'lasting' power sounds like Heritage's.

One person here said ............ Heritage lasts about as long as it takes to cut it and walk indoors.

• rosemeadow_gardener
    14 years ago

How does Precious Platnuim smell, Jim ? It's certainly a nice red colour in your photos.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    14 years ago

Jim, I think Sweet Afton is a beautiful rose and a keeper. I think of fallen rose petals as mulch. After they dry up on the ground you don't even notice them and they'll just blend in.

Ingrid

Original Author
    14 years ago

Karen, Precious Platinum has little smell. Rated a 3, I think. We like it because it glows a nice red color in the yard.

JIM

• phatboyrose
    14 years ago

Jim, Precious platinum is really looking good and has good health foliage too. I can wait until next Spring to see it bust forth. I think this is the first year you've had it. If true then next year it should really put on a show for you and us. Jim have you ever tried alfafa tea I know my roses love it,I put about a gal. a month on each bush.

Jim how is Sue doing I keep her in my prayers. LOL LOL
    Harold

Original Author
    14 years ago

Harold, Sue is doing fine. Hows your wife?
    I have had Precious Platinum since 2007. I had cane (winter damage) problems with Platinum and did not take care of it in Spring of 09. So, it came back to haunt me in summer. LOL I've learned a lot about pruning since then, so, next season should be ok.

JIM

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH