Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy9norcal

End of summer roses

kathy9norcal
13 years ago

and a protector of the garden.

I am hoping for a good fall bloom. I have cleaned up the garden, gave the roses a bit of fertilizer, and am sitting back and waiting. Meanwhile, a few current blooms,

Christopher Marlowe

Gruss An Aachen

Heaven On Earth, only this color when first opening, then goes pink, then white

Jean Giono

the everblooming Route 66

St. Patrick, never as pretty in photos as real life

Sultry

Symphony

Snow Bird

Protector of the garden, really of Chris Marlowe

Kathy

Comments (11)

• organicgardendreams
    13 years ago

Kathy, your roses are all very beautiful and the photo of the spider is pretty fascinating! Thanks for posting!

I love the unusual flower shape of Snowbird. Is this the older HT bred by Hatton from 1936? Gruss an Aachen looks also especially appealing to me.

Somehow I don't have the impression that you have to wait for a fall flush :-)!

Christina

• paulieinct
    13 years ago

Love that Symphony and St. Patrick. Outstanding. I gotta try those.

• kathy9norcal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Christina, I do think it is the older Snowbird. It is one of my prettiest roses. It is in a spot that gets only midday sun and does well.
    Paul, those two are really good roses for me. I don't know about zone 5 though. Probably ok for Symphony which is an Austin.
    Kathy

• ramblinrosez7b
    13 years ago

Your roses are beautiful Kathy and your spider friend there is great to have around, I had one just like yours hanging like that in our bushes, I almost walk right into it, it was huge! It scared the heck out of me too! Do you know what the name of the spider is?

• inga007
    13 years ago

Thank you, for the lovely, sunlit, blooms.
    I always look forward to your photos.
    Inga

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

Love your roses and I agree on St. Patrick --- he just doesn't like the camera. He's the only yellow rose I've permitted in the garden due to the excellent color & lasting qualities for bouquets. I'd add Symphony if there was room! Julia Childs looked too harsh at the nursery. Don't remember seeing Jean Giono being soo yellow - very pretty.

Hope you have a spectacular fall flush!

• C Schaffner
    13 years ago

I get those huge spiders. I've heard them called writing spiders. There is another name I can't remember right now.

• flaurabunda
    13 years ago

Common garden spider or "black and yellow argiope", I believe. There was an article about them in our Sunday paper yesterday.

Beautiful photos, Kathy!

• bethnorcal9
    13 years ago

Gorgeous roses as always Kathy!! Cool spidey too. I just love your SYMPHONY. That's really beautiful. And your pic of ST PATRICK looks better than any of the blooms I get on mine. My plant puts out blooms that rarely open all the way. It's in direct full sun 95% of the day, but all season long it balls and I rarely get a good full open bloom. And not many blooms when it does bloom. I think I must have a dud of a plant.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

These are all really lovely Kathy, but I'm especially jealous of Route 66 which I had in my garden. The blooms lasted about 5 minutes in my dry heat and I'd be looking at potpourri in bush form before midday. Heaven on Earth and Snowbird are also beautiful and my favorites. Quite an impressive summer showing and I admire your taste in roses.

Ingrid

• kathy9norcal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to all of you for your nice comments. My spider and its web are gone! I am sad. I am sure it was this critter as she has been out with me lately. I don't usually let her out as she loves to eat compost. Ugh. Did you ever see such a fat tail?

K