Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sanrosa

I Delight in Peace and Quietness

sanrosa
13 years ago

I certainly do enjoy this forum, and have recieved great pleasure from everyone's posts. Thank you all for sharing!I hope you enjoy spending a few moments here with me.

Sandra

Double Delight ( I wish you could take in the wonderful fragrance)

Peace (Every year I am reminded why this is such a popular rose)

Chicago Peace (A real soldier in my garden)

Do you notice the full moon up to the right?

Quietness (well named; such a serene beauty)

Lady Jane Grey (Three years old and just beginning to be rewarding. A very fragrant and beautiful rose)

Abraham Darby

Prairie Star around the birdbath glows in the twilight

Sandra

Comments (24)

• paulieinct
    13 years ago

Just beautiful. Especially your Peace rose. I think those may be the best pics of this rose I've seen. Peace is really not easy to grow where I live, but I'm giving it another shot with a baby own-root in a pot. It's covered with blackspot, but I'm not giving up on it yet.

I also grow Quietness, an outstanding rose, and Prairie Star. PS was spectacular its first year for me, but now the blooms just ball, and I'm thinking of getting rid of it.

Beautiful garden shots, you've done a nice job there. The pic at dusk is outstanding. -Paul

• ramblinrosez7b
    13 years ago

All your roses are so lovely and beautiful, you took some amazing shots, thanks so much.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Beautiful! Thank you for showing an overall view of your garden.
    Renee

• bethnorcal9
    13 years ago

Beautiful roses Sandra. You have a lovely "twilight" garden!

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

Gorgeous Peace pictures! If only this rose lasted :-( Chicago Peace lasts longer here. And I love it. Nice photos.

• sanrosa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all for your kind comments!
    Paul, I have not had that problem with PS, but the second flush of Abraham D this summer was a total loss balling up. The blooms on him now look very nice, but the current flush on one of my favorite 'smell goods', Fredric Mistral, is kind of crispy. Quietness is a perfect lady, always well behaved. I got PS, QT and AD all three years ago, own root bands. The Peace and Chicago P are all at least 10 years old and always do fine.
    I live in a very challenging climate for gardening. Chinle AZ is on the high Colorado Pleateau. It is very dry and windy, winter and summer, with temperatures swinging up to 40+ degrees between day and night a lot of the year. The soil needs loads of help, as there is little organic matter to begin with in this high desert ground. We have been in a 15 year drought and much of the surrounding area grows nothing but tough perenial weeds and sand dunes. We carved out our little oasis inch by inch over the last 14 years,(with a nod of thanks here to the obliging neighboring horses and a sturdy wheelbarrow,and every scrap of kitchen wastewe can muster), and we really enjoy it.
    So far the Buck roses do well here, as do miniatures, and whatever we are willing to pamper might just make it!
    Thank you all again; I have learned a lot on this forum from all of you. I am really enjoying and appreciating growing and learning about roses.
    Sandra

• lesmc
    13 years ago

Your garden is absolutely beautiiful! I really enjoyed your Peace. I also grow this rose in honor of my dad. This was his favorite rose. It does OK for me, a little stingy, but when it blooms...Wow. Thank you for sharing your lovely garden with me. Lesley

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    13 years ago

Hi Sandra, I most definitely enjoyed viewing your beautiful gardens. My goodness they are gorgeous and the twilight pics were magical. Don't you just love Pink Peace. I love mine. I think I killed my Peace but really need to get another one. Your pics of it are gorgeous. Well all your pictures are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing your little piece of heaven and please post more, Judy

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

your garden looks so lush! I especially like your full moon photo and the photos of Peace and Quietness. So lovely.

• dove_song
    13 years ago

Love all of your fine pictures, Sandra. Thanks for sharing them with us. My favorite is the photo with the full moon. It evokes quite the halcyon atmosphere! :)

Debbie

• sanrosa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all!
    More photos on my blog.
    Sandra

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses, Color, and Light

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

so beautiful with the Peace photos and lovely elegant roses. And also wrote some comments on your gorgeous Cacti on my European Bird Cherry thread. Sandra, I usually am leery of Double Delight, because in Kansas gardens, Double Delight is a very ugly rose tons of mottling and blotching to its blend and it's also puffy in its form. But yours has such a gorgeous shape to it, very lovely!

• canadian_rose
    12 years ago

Such beauty!!! Very peaceful and soothing. Thanks so much for showing your garden!

Carol

• sanrosa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, Carol. Serenasyh, thanks. I am intrigued with your bird cherry bush. It looks wonderful.
    Sandra

• kathy9norcal
    12 years ago

You have a wonderful garden and take such nice photos!

• sanrosa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, Kathy. I always enjoy and look forward to seeing your photos. Your roses are wonderful.
    Sandra

• zeffyrose
    12 years ago

Sandra----What a delightful post----I love the pictures of your lovely garden----The twilight pictures are amazing-

I can't put into words how much pleasure your pictures have given me---

It is amazing to me that you have been able to carve this bit of heaven under such difficult conditions

I love the lush look in your garden pictures.

Thanks for sharing--

Florence

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    12 years ago

Very nice pictures. All are beautiful. Thanks for posting.

• sanrosa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so very much, Florence. I am so glad to share them. Your kind words mean a lot to me. This gallery has been very important to me, too!
    Thank you, Bustopher.
    I hope my roses will begin to bloom soon. They seem to be so late this year! Or maybe I am just extra anxious after the long winter.
    Sandra

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses, Color and Light

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

Sandra, I love re-seeing this thread, the colors always take my breath away each time! Hey, I have a big question for you since you have relatives in Arizona. I belong to the Peter Beales forum even though I live in the U.S. and one of the forumers had to move from Rose Country (England) to the blazing desert of Dubai, yeeeesh! She was wondering which roses can tolerate the most intense heat. Of course these roses would have to have shelter from winds, sun, etc....

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Sandra,
    your roses and your photos are really very lovely.
    kay

• sanrosa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Serenasyh, Thank you for your kind comments!
    I grew up in Phoenix but I have lived in Northern Arizona my entire adult life, (that's longer than I care to think!)
    Roses seem to love the hot and dry climates, at least in the cooler seasons. In Phoenix and the lower-desert regions, roses rest in the hottest and very coldest weeks of the year.
    A Lady Banks rose in Tucson covers an arbor 8,000 sq ft+ with a trunk 12 feet in circumference. There is a heat-loving rose, certainly.
    Teas and Noisettes seem to like the heat.
    I would have to do more research. I am not exactly sure what the climate specs are for Dubai, but photos of developed properties seem to be lushly landscaped.
    If I come up with anything I'll let you know! It would be interesting to find out more.
    Here's a link to a little ehow article mentioning a few heat-tolerant yellow roses.
    Best Regards,
    Sandra

Here is a link that might be useful: The Best Yellow Roses for Zone 8B

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

thanks Sandra, but actually Dubai would be like growing roses in the hottest U.S. desert. For example this May alone it's already 42 C. or 107.6 F already!in Dubai. So if you know anyone who lives out in the desert and can grow roses, maybe get the names of their favorite and maybe the names of the roses whose colors can take heat without the colors getting all blotchy and faded...

Our hardiness zones can't apply to them because they don't get winter. It's scorching heat from April-October. Then from November to March it can be a bit more bearable from 75 degrees to 86 degrees.... but usually it's in the 80s from what I researched online.

• sanrosa
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It looks like the winters are wonderful! ( I love the desert!) but I think the lack of water could be a problem, too. Will your friend have access to enough fresh water to keep roses happy? Dubai only gets about 5 inches rainfall per year, and not spread out.
    My mother grew roses in Phoenix as I was growing up. They seemed to love the climate. I remember one red rose on a friend's bush with a straight 5 foot stem and a bud the size of my fist! I have no idea what rose it may have been.
    I snapped this photo from the car in April as we were turning around in an unfamiliar neighborhood.

As you can see, roses like Phoenix!
    I am sure that if she can water them, she'll be able to grow them.
    Sandra