seil_gw

Quietness - A Pictoral

seil zone 6b MI
11 years ago

{{gwi:1279974}}

Comments (18)

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

What exquisite photos, seil. The buds are like porcelain, as is the open bloom. And what a great idea to follow the life of the bloom as it opens. I wish more of us would try this technique and post the results. It gives everyone a better perspective of how a bloom really looks in all its stages. Is Quietness a favorite of yours? Does it repeat well, and hold up in summer heat? Thanks so much for posting this pictorial. Diane

• ron_and_susan
    11 years ago

Seil--Very nice shots of that rose. I might want to use one of them in my next work if it's alright with you.--Ron

• Krista_5NY
    11 years ago

Beautiful pics, Seil. A lovely rose at all stages of bloom.

• the_dark_lady
    11 years ago

Seil, this is absolutely beautiful! I love this rose!
    Marina

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all! The rose itself is just incredibly beautiful and photogenic so that nice pictures are a snap...literally!

Diane, they do look like porcelain all the time. Yes, it is one of my favorites. It's very hardy and vigorous growing, blooming in regular flushes. I checked it's file and it bloomed in late May into early June, then again the end of July into early August and is in bloom again now. The blooms, even though they have many petals, do not ball up in high humidity either, which I like. The color is a little paler in the higher heat of summer than in the cool of spring and fall when the deeper pink comes out more. It is "fairly" disease resistant. That means it does spot some but never goes nekkid like so many others do for me, lol.

I always try to take photos of all the stages of blooms as well as sprays and full plant shots to post on HMF. And I think in the future I'm going to start recording things like the look of new growth, leaves, thorns and hips too. The more questions I see on here about what normal growth looks like the more I think posting such things on HMF is important.

Ron, you know I love your art works and you are always welcome to use my photos in them!

• inga007
    11 years ago

What a glorious looking bloom.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Love your pictorial progress of a rose--you capture well the delicate tones.

Kate

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Inga and Kate!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    11 years ago

seil, that is so beautifully done - very enjoyable. I can see why so many people rave about this rose.

Ingrid

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Ingrid! I do highly recommend it!

• User
    11 years ago

Hi Seil,
    as Diane described the buds as porcelain,..i am in agreement there,..all the pictures show fresh crisp roses,..a lovely Pictoral indeed.

Philip

• canadian_rose
    11 years ago

Wow!! They even age gracefully. My favs are 2 and 3.
    Gorgeous rose - thank you for showcasing it.
    Carol

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Love the time lapse! Really gives us a true look into how it looks at each stage :) Really beautiful pictures!

Tammy

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all! They do age well, Carol, and I like a rose that looks good from bud until the petals drop. I have a couple that age very badly that may have to go.

• canadian_rose
    11 years ago

I agree - I can't stand roses that fade to a blotchy color.
    Sigh...it was nice to have another look. :)

• erin1000
    11 years ago

Seil, so many thanks for documenting the whole progress of Quietness' bloom and for adding to HMF. You are doing such great service for people like me researching for the best roses for a small garden. I would like to know if you consider the pink to lean towards the lavender side or then sunny side of the color spectrum. It is so hard to tell with photos usually, because sun or shade dramatically changes this nuance. Your photos make Quietness seem warm pink, not cool. Is this so?
    Thanks again,
    Erin

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    11 years ago

Great photos Seil!

• seil zone 6b MI
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you!

Erin, Quietness is a pale silvery pink. There is just a touch of yellow sometimes at the base of the petals but it's not easy to see. It does not go lavender or peachy at all.