Return to the Rose Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finally blooming again!

Posted by Sara-Ann z6b OK (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 20:21

My established Bewitched bush for some reason took a long break this summer after its usual May blooms, no blooms at all until now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finally blooming again!

Nice looking bloom but wow! on the wait time....

o

Well worth the wait.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 14:26

It's beautiful! Some varieties take longer to cycle anyway but if there were any adverse weather conditions that might have added to the down time. Some of mine were very slow to repeat because our July was cool and gray for the most part. They took off in August when things cleared up and it got hot though.

o

Thanks everyone. I don't know what the explanation is. Bewitched usually repeats really fast for me. A majority of my other roses have been repeating their cycles really quickly all season long. One thing I've always wondered about Bewitched is mine always grows tall and never gets many canes. I have seen pictures of huge Bewitched bushes that are as wide as tall, would love to have one like that. Guess I should be happy it has always been disease resistant for me and seems to be hardy.

o

Gorgeous pink flower! Love, love, love that color. Sounds like a 'down right' mystery to me on why this beauty took sooo long to rebloom again. Sara-Ann, can you describe her fragrance to us? :)

o

Dove_song - Thank you. I'll try to describe the fragrance. I've always thought of Bewitched as having more of a spicy fragrance, but HMF describes it as damask. To me it is a very pleasant fragrance, but not overly strong, at least not to my senses.

o

Thanks, Sara-Ann. I saw that fragrance info on HMF, but you just never know so I thought I'd ask. Perhaps someday Bewitched will be added to my garden. Sure is pretty!! :)

o

That's a GORGEOUS bloom!!!

As to the lack of bushiness - do you ever water with alfalfa tea? I just put alfalfa pellets in my wheelbarrow and spray (not letting it merely flow) water on them. That should help since it promotes new basal growth.
Carol

o

Carol - Thank you and thanks for the suggestion about the alfalfa tea to help with basal breaks, something I've been wondering about. Several years ago I tried Epsom salts for that purpose, not sure if it made a difference, maybe some.

o

I think that it was Henry from this forum that posted something about Epsom Salts not being worth their salt (sorry about the pun). And Henry, I'm sorry if I'm misquoting you. So I don't bother with that anymore.
Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here