Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nulty

Last Wave Of Blooms Before Winter.

nulty
11 years ago

There will be blooms of roses and others up to Christmas but not as plentiful as at present,..however the garden is getting a thrashing at present with 4 inches of rain in 24 hours plus 70 mph winds,..just as my white rose bush "Ice Cream",..started another flush of blooms.

Video===September Blooms Before Winter.

Comments (21)

• Krista_5NY
    11 years ago

A lovely video, beautiful roses and your garden has so many wonderful plants.

• nulty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Krista,
    glad you enjoyed the video,..the garden is getting ready for its purple image,.."New York Asters",..and of course roses.

Philip

The rose,.."Ice Cream".

• nulty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

New York Asters.

• nulty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Laurie's Golden Orange.

• nulty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The Climber,..and occupant.

Philip

• Krista_5NY
    11 years ago

I really like the New York Asters! :)

Beautiful pics and so colorful.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Lovely, glengarry! I had similar little blue asters last year. This year they came back white?

• nulty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Krista,..Hi Seil,
    thank you both for the response,..i have those Asters for about 10 years,..i was passing a garden and spotted them in full bloom coming near Christmas and asked the owner what they were,..Michaelmas Daisies i was told,..and was luckily given about half a dozen,..they have increased in population ever since though some years they have failed as they are prone to Mildew but i think i have solved that problem with a homemade mix i use.

These Asters are now at three foot high as can be seen from the pictures taken today,..i have had to tie them up due to strong winds.

• nulty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Symphyotrichum novi-belgii.

• nulty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Growing and growing,..the Hollyhock at 7 Ft 5 inches today.

• nulty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Full compact blooms.

• nulty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Grown from seed,..it could be a nice surprise.

Philip

• inga007
    11 years ago

I'm so glad I re-opened this post. Thanks for the lovely photos

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    11 years ago

The video and accompanying music are wonderful. What a variety of beautiful plants you have. Your garden is magical.

Ingrid

• nulty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you inga007 and ingrid,..i have a few little helpers in the garden,..the Hedgehog being the more useful as it eats all the slugs,..the others just like to make a bed in my flowerpots.

Philip

Video==The Hedgehog and The Cats

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Thanks for the name, Philip! These are my asters and I'm sure they were blue/purple last year.

My hollyhocks came up this year but never bloomed. I know sometimes they can take a couple of years to set bloom so I'm hoping they will next year.

Love your cute kitty!

• nulty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Seil,
    your Aster looks similar to mine in shape and size,..the same foliage as well,..sorry i didn't mention this in my last posting,..slipped my mind,..i have had friends tell me of similar circumstances,..all the incidents were of Asters turning to a lighter colour,..never to a darker colour,..i suspect something weather wise makes the Asters revert to their natural colour or near to it which i can only presume was originally white,..i would love to know do they change back again.

I have Foxgloves that change every season,..same with Columbine of course,..and roses i grow from seed seldom bloom like the parent rose.

Your Hollyhocks should bloom next summer,..some of mine didn't bloom this summer either only the ones planted last year are the ones that bloomed.

Those of us who garden can never say its boring,..far from it,..every day is different from the previous and oh boy are there some surprises,..i get volunteer plants every year some are not grown around where i live nor grown by friends who gave me seeds,..like Verbascum nigrum and Papaver somniferum,'Red Poppy',..i was pleased to see those and what will next spring produce.

Oh the Kitty is named "Smudge",..he was an orphan who was born in the garden cat house,..then decided it was a good place to live,..and i have to admit that there are a few of his friends here as well.

Philip

• canadian_rose
    11 years ago

Loved the apricot colored rose in your video; of course they were all beautiful and the music was haunting.

Love your cat - Smudge is a good name. How in the world did you ever get a shot of him in a pot??? :)
    Carol

• nulty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Carol,
    the tribe of cats that reside in and around my garden tend to sleep on flowerpots and in them as well,..all of the cats are outdoor cats though during the day they wander into the house and will sleep until dark or when ever food is being served,..they seldom do any damage in the garden and never use it as a toilet,..i think that rule is passed down through the generations,..below is "Spot",..a big Tomcat in a bigger flowerpot and a video of past and present cats.

Video===10 Years Of Cats.

• canadian_rose
    11 years ago

Love the cats and the blue vases - who knew cats would go so well with blue vases :)
    One of my favorites is the two black and white cats lying down together in almost a heart shape while they are looking up at you.
    :)
    Carol

• nulty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Carol,..sorry about the week it took to respond,..i was on the water,..off for a quiet spell on the islands.

Lol about your comment,.."who knew cats would go so well in blue vases",..oh the duo lying together in almost a heart shape are "Tiny" and "Rawhide",..since that photograph was captured they seem to have fallen out,..lots of growling and hissing can be heard.

Philip

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks