Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boxofrox_2007

Soooooooo Long September

boxofrox
11 years ago

September picked up where August left off and the garden has just been spectacular with the volume of flowers and number of bouquets I've been able to cut and gift. I haven't taken as much time to capture shots and post pics after the August deluge and now that all my posts have cleared page one, I thought I'd post for the first time in September ;-)

These are mostly bouquet shots, I had the pleasure of making one for a 95 year old on her birthday as well as a 73 year old cancer survivor on hers and the smiles were simply priceless !!!

I hope everyone is well, I hope you enjoy and thanks so much for looking :-)

For the 95 year old

For the 73 year old

Dinner Plate dahlia

CP

The Dark Lady

Dahlia

Y/O bouquet

A Trillion Bells ;=)

Mandevilla

Yesterday's downstairs bouquet

Today's Upstairs bouquet

And lastly some Easy's

Comments (9)

• lesmc
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Just beautiful!! I can`t imagine having that many flowers to give away. Do you cut long stems when you cut the roses for arrangements?I also enjoyed the last picture. Sometime would you post pictures of your garden .? I would love to see more whole garden shots. I bet it is heavenly! Thanks again...Lesley

• bethnorcal9
    11 years ago

Pretty pretties! Love those dahlias!

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys :-)

Lesley..............It really depends upon the vase but as a general rule the dahlias, hydrangeas, and phlox usually have the longest stems because I use them for the foundation and a longer stem supports them from tipping sideways. The roses are usually cut to have long enough stems but the length is dictated more by outward facing buds ;-) As far as the garden shots, I've posted a ton of OT (Off Topic as in not roses) over the years and they are archived and searchable :-)

beth, the bouquets get a lot more colorful once the dahlias start :-)

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Your bouquets are always breathtaking, boxo!

• canadian_rose
    11 years ago

I love them all - but I especially love your upstairs boquet. The colors and shapes!!! Aaaaahhhhh :)

Your Chicago Peace looks AMAZING!!!! Wow!!! Mine has a medium to strong fragrance. I love this rose - so many blooms. Does yours have a nice fragrance? Even if it doesn't - that's a mighty fine looking rose!!!!
    Carol

• User
    11 years ago

Ye Gods and Little Fishes,..spectacular blooms and to see them in Bouquet is perfection,..lucky 95 year old and 73 year old,..that surely made the day for them.

Philip

• boxofrox
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Philip, what I love is the art of surprise :-) Most people have never actually received a 'homemade' bouquet. It's not just the colors and textures that wow them, it's the fact that they actually smell fragrant (unlike store bought ;-)

carol, this is my first year with roses in pots and CP. I wanted to take advantage of the sun and heat up on my west facing deck so I planted CP, DD, and CI in large pots. CP is right up there with my favorites. She is not as fragrant as Double Delight or Abraham Darby which both buckle my knees but she blooms so prolifically and the blooms are drop dead and huge. Summer is BBQ season and I sit right next to her in my John Deere chef's chair and I couldn't be more pleased with her addition to my garden !!!!

• TNY78
    11 years ago

I love the oranges and yellows! So festive for Fall!

Tammy

• canadian_rose
    11 years ago

Yeah, not as fragrant - but CP does have its own fragrance which is quite lovely. I never want to be without this rose. Now I can "see" you sitting beside it and enjoying such a lovely rose.
    Carol