Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethnorcal9

Pics from the last week or so..

bethnorcal9
13 years ago

I been on vacation and doing lots of yard work. Planted a bunch of roses from the pot ghetto into a long bed I'm expanding. The weather's been hot, but not unbearable. But some of the blooms still fry by afternoon!!

Here's some that bloomed over the last week or more:

DORCAS

{{gwi:1281050}}

FRAGRANT LACE

{{gwi:1281052}}

ICE CREAM

{{gwi:1281055}}

JANET CARNOCHAN

{{gwi:1281058}}

LYNN ANDERSON

{{gwi:1281060}}

NANTUCKET

{{gwi:1281063}}

NORMA MAJOR

{{gwi:1281065}}

SAFARI

{{gwi:1281067}}

SANDRA

{{gwi:1281069}}

STEPHANIE DIANE

{{gwi:1281071}}

SOUTH AFRICA

{{gwi:1281075}}

THE PILGRIM - my first bloom in a couple of yrs!

{{gwi:1281078}}

TROIKA

{{gwi:1281080}}

WELCOME HOME - this is the first time I've seen the peachy center on this one

{{gwi:1281082}}

a couple of minis:

FRECKLE FACE

{{gwi:1198479}}

SEATTLE SCENTSATION

and an unknown rose maybe someone might be able to help me ID:

It's probably a HT, is about 3ft tall. The bloom is a lovely ruffly, almost-painted pink on a white reverse. I have no idea what it could be, and no idea where I got it from. Probably was a mismarked bagged bareroot a couple of yrs ago. Only problem is, I don't remember ever seeing it before... or it wasn't mottled or speckled before. I had a rose that was marked CONTRAST, but I thought I had planted it in the ground somewhere. This one is still in a pot. I don't think it has any scent. (it's done blooming now so I can't go check)

Comments (11)

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    13 years ago

Very nice Beth, your roses all look great! That first rose DORCAS has a very interesting color!

• majenta
    13 years ago

Lovely roses and pictures as usual. Lots of roses I've never heard of before. I don't often post, but I'd like to say you all do a great job posting your lovelies, which I enjoy very much.

• kathy9norcal
    13 years ago

Great roses, Beth. I just love the freckly ones!

• kstrong
    13 years ago

Change of Heart can look like that if it blooms in the shade. Perhaps that one?

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Jim. I love DORCAS. I have FRECKLES in the same bed, and I always thought I'd like it better, but DORCAS has much more interesting colors.

Thanks MAJENTA and KATHY!

SoCal Kathy, you're right, it does sorta look like COH. But I have it and it's not quite the same. What's so weird is, I just don't ever remember seeing this one bloom before. Or maybe I got it mixed up with another one. Either way, I just don't know what the heck it might've been bought as. Guess I'll never know...

• paulieinct
    13 years ago

Great pix of some roses I've never seen before. Especially like Dorcas, and Sandra is a real stunner. Welcome Home I grow, that is a beautiful shot of it. How do you like Lynn Anderson? I'm trying it own-root, it's still small in a pot. I've heard lots of pro and con about this rose.

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

gorgeous roses Beth-----

Florence

• katefisher
    13 years ago

Hey Beth. I bet that felt good to make some more room for roses. I only have one in a pot right now and that is the band I just received from Burling. This is an absolute miracle for me. But you have so many roses that I know you must juggle a lot and with such gorgeous results.

All so pretty by the way. Dorcas and Fragrant Lace look like kissing cousins:) Thanks for those lovelies.

Kate

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Paul, LYNN ANDERSON is a nice rose, but she doesn't repeat very well for me. She tends to grow about 6ft tall, and makes a nice plant for the back of the border, but the bloom production just isn't there. Could be my crappy soil, and the fact that she's in a somewhat shady spot too. Altho I have other roses near her that bloom well. So I dunno? Maybe the others aren't as fussy. And maybe she just needs some extra fertilizer and mulch to be happy. You may have better results in your situation.

Thanks Florence!!

Hey Kate! Yeah it was nice to get some of the potted ones in the ground. And some of them are already happier than they were in the pots. But this morning I see the deer have been back! Auuggghhhh!! Guess I'll have to spray my repellent today. Dangit!

• Carrie_AZ
    13 years ago

Oh I have been looking for Stephanie Diane for sometime now, were did you get yours?? My daughter is named Stephanie and I have been wanting one for my garden for years but can't find one. can you post where you found it??
    Your roses are very pretty!!
    Thanks,
    Carrie

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Carrie, I actually rooted my STEPHANIE DIANE from cuttings I got from a guy I used to trade with about 10-12yrs ago. I see that Cliff Orent at EuroDesert Roses also has her. You could email him and see if he has any plants available.