Return to the Rose Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thornless & fragrant

Posted by gnabonnand 8a - D/FW Texas (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 6, 09 at 22:01

'Reine des Violettes' & 'Pacific Serenade' this morning.

Randy

In 1860, as Americans were preparing for Civil War, this thornless, fragrant, timeless rose was being introduced across the Atlantic in France:
Photobucket

Pacific Serenade, introduced in 1997 USA:
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thornless & fragrant

Oh my Randy. Thanks for sharing those, how beautiful. I especially enjoyed Pacific Serenade. Wow. Not only is that yellow just breathtaking but what wonderful green, healthy foliage. Very nice.

Kate

o

I love your RdV - such color!!! I especially like it's leaves. The color looks fantastic against the violet. Do you have any more pictures of RdV?

Carol (sighing with rose contentment)

o

Kate, 'Pacific Serenade' is a such a great plant. Nor'East was the only place I could find it. Hopefully, someone else will offer it in the future. It would be a shame for it to become a "lost" rose.

Carol, here are some more pics of my RdV, per your request. As you can see, 'Reine des Violettes' is a lady of many faces, depending upon the age of the bloom, weather, and season. I've never see one of her "looks" that I didn't like.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Great pictures of your RdV, Randy! The color variations are amazing. I am fortunate to see it every time I go to the San Jose Heritage Rose Garden, it is indeed a very beautiful rose. Thank you for sharing these lovely pictures.

Masha

o

Very nice! All the blooms look great! Neat how it has many faces!

JIM

o

Randy,

I've been considering RdV for a long time - I think you've pushed me over the edge. Love your pictures.

How big does RdV get in our area? Any downside?

Margaret

o

Randy---once again your pictures of RdV took my breath away

Absolutely gorgeous-------I'm still waiting for blooms on mine.

Florence

o

Masha, I'd love to visit the San Jose Heritage Rose Garden some day.

Glad you enjoyed my RdV, Jim.

Margaret, my 'Reine des Violettes' has gotten pretty large. It's canes can grow to 7 ft long, if left unpruned. Any "downside" you ask? For me, only one ... its growth habit can be kind of "gangly", in the typical nature of a hybrid perpetual (not very "bush" like). But unlike other HP's I have grown, this one blooms more often, doesn't ball, is wildly fragrant, and is somewhat healthier.

I hope it does well for you, Florence. But our climates are so different. Just look at the difference in performance of 'Nur Mahal' here and there :-) I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Randy

o

WOW!!! WOW!!! WOW!!!!

:)

WOW!!! WOW!!! WOW!!!!

Stunning and thank you SOOOO much for showing such a gorgoues rose!!

Carol

o

What's the best placement for this gorgeous plant--full sun, morning sun only? Can it take the blazing sun and heat we get with no shade protection? I hate to be a pest, but this is pure gold, to get info from someone who grows in my exact conditions.

Thanks,
Margaret

o
RE: Thornless & fragrant - 'Reine des Violettes' & 'Pacific Seren

Thank you for sharing these for all to see. I would like to find some cuttings or a plant as it is not available here in SE Georgia. I have The Lady Bank Rose which is also thornless and is yellow. It gets very large and is considered a rambling rose. For me it blooms twice a year but is only to bloom once a year. I do not have any pictures but it can be Googled. Email me if you would. Thanks

o

My pleasure, Carol.

Margaret, I have found that RdV does fine in full all-day sun as long as it gets sufficient water. But it would probably benefit from some late afternoon shade, if possible. You know what an oven our summers are :-)
Hope you enjoy the cooler weather we are supposed to have for the rest of the week!

Randy

o

Hi Randy! Your pictures of 'Reine des Violettes' are the best that I have ever seen! Yes, she is a lady of many faces. Thanks for sharing! Missy

o

Thanks, Missy. RdV is easy to photograph. She apparently loves to pose :-)

Randy

o

Hey, Randy...What perfect timing for me to stumble across your gorgeous photos of RvD, as I just rec'd an email today that the two that I have on order from Antique Rose Emporium were just sent today, and I should be getting them in two days! Yea!!! I'm hoping to make a shortish climber from them on my 4' ranch rail fence. I've told my next door neighbor about them as even though it's my fence, her yard is on the other side. I wanted her to be excited about the coming roses, too, and also to be assured that she's thornless!
Happy Autumn, all!
Barb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here