Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tny78

Reds, Reds, and more Reds

TNY78
12 years ago

Pictures of some of my red roses! I honestly thought I had more reds than this, but then again I do have a few I havne't been able to get descent pictures of (Falstaff, The Dark Lady are two) Anyway...reds are difficult for me to photograph for whatever reason, but here we go.....

My mystery red...I suspect it to be Lavaglut(?)

{{gwi:1281644}}

Ink Spots

{{gwi:1281645}}

Snowfire...nice blooms in the spring, but all downhill from there! I keep it around because it was one of the first roses I purchased, and its springs bloom are to die for!

{{gwi:1281646}}

Red Sunblaze mini

{{gwi:1281647}}

Rock n Roll

{{gwi:1281648}}

Rogue Royal (one of my absolute favorites!!)

{{gwi:1281649}}

Oklahoma...never can get a good pic of this one either!

{{gwi:1281650}}

Little Jimmy Dickens

{{gwi:1281651}}

Christian Dior (arguably a deep pink...)

{{gwi:1281652}}

Braveheart

{{gwi:1281653}}

Black Ice: I just got this one last month...and I love it! I just hope it makes it throught the winter! I can't find anything on its hardiness :(

{{gwi:1208644}}

Last, but certainly not least...Leprechaun! Another of my favorites...this isn't the most in-focus picture, but I love that the newly opened blooms are a perfect yellow, and then age to a true red! Its like having multiple roses on one bush!

{{gwi:1281654}}

Comments (9)

• mantis__oh
    12 years ago

Tell us why Rouge Royale is a favorite. Some have complained about it wilting in the heat and weak necks. A nice collection.

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

Great Reds, Tammy! Hey, I used to have the same frustration in that my Lincoln reds would not look the same as what my camera showed unless I got the perfect lighting, very heavy overcast skies or crack of dawn photos with subdued light. If you have a Canon Rebel for example, the easiest is to use the TV setting. Click the snap button halfway, then scroll back the Fstop to where it needs to be... (the Fstop is the coggy-wheel looking thing at the top of the camera) Occasionally the Sports setting will work, but you can never ever take at midday with blasting sunlight. You basically have to shut down the light factor....

The issue I now face is that if I have to shut down the light on the TV setting, and it's a windy day, I'm screwed, lol! So then I have to use the Sports setting. But at least finally, I can get Lincoln to have the shade that it really does have. Either the intense maraschino cherry red or the deep florist red rose intensity....

I love Snowfire and Rogue Royal as my favorites!

• TNY78
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Manis, I've heard the same thing about Rouge Royal...I guess its either a "love it or hate it" kind of rose. I have 2 Rouge Royals in my garden and one definitly does better than the other(not sure why, they are both bareroot from Edmonds and are planted about 10 feet from eachother). They are 2 year old plants. For me, the blooms never ball and I haven't had any weak necks. They also have a very quick repeat. They also stay pretty compact in my garden, and don't get what I call "crazy canes" where the canes take off 5 feet high and leafless with a bloom on the end! One thing they do that I'm not crazy about is they defoliate after each flush, but they are very fast to regrow their leaves. They're the only Romantica's I currently have, but I have Lunar Mist on order for the spring..I'm hoping for similar results in a climber. :)

Serenasyh, thanks for the tips..I do have a Canon camera. It's not a Rebel, but I have different settings I haven't really played around with. There's even a Foliage setting I've never tried...lol. I'll have to get out there the next time its overcast and see what happens...in the sunlight, reds just looks the a florescent mess in photo!

`Tammy

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Love all your reds, Tammy! That Leprechaun is amazing!

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    12 years ago

Awesome Reds!

• bgrose
    12 years ago

Red roses are the ones who make my heart melt and beat faster. More specifically, I love Black Ice, (what a creative name, passion and coolness contrasting) and Rogue Royal, these are my favourite ones based on the photos but all are really lovely and with an extraordinary beautiful shape and color! Very delightful pictures, thank you!!!

• kathy9norcal
    12 years ago

Your first pic looks exactly like my Black Cherry.
    This below is my Lavaglut. It's blooms are very small, dark, and prolific.

If you want to see BC, let me know. Love your reds! Reds are really hard to capture and often look better in person for me.

• vincecurse
    12 years ago

Roses are really good specially when it was touched by the good florists like the one that I've ordered for my mom from - http://www.flowerpatch.com/. Try that one guys!

• TNY78
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kathy, does your Black Cherry have almost wax-like petals? This one always has a very large flush, and each bloom can last over a week & the petals are very stiff and rigid. I know in the past I've posted it in the "Name that Rose" forum, and had a suggestion of Valentines Day (I think)...I love it, I just wish I knew what it was!