Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iris_gal

Abraham Darby trio

iris_gal
13 years ago

Its powerful fragrance floats into my bedroom window. And I have nasty allergies. It's looking pinker than usual this fall and not quite as petal packed.

Abraham Darby

Comments (9)

• organicgardendreams
    13 years ago

iris-gal, your Abraham Darby looks really lovely, even though I have to say I wouldn't have recognized him as such ;-)! I like that roses are so changeable!

Christina

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    13 years ago

Super lovely but not sure its Abe. Looks alot like my Tournament of Roses. My TOR reminds me of a big fluffy cupcake. lol. Either way its gorgeous Iris gal. Take care, Judy

• iris_gal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I thought it looked like Tournament also. Traced the cane to the plant because of that. And blooms are on a cane coming from Abe. I'm going to root around underneath the soil to see what's going on.

Brandy threw up a new set of cane 12-15 inches away from the original. Maybe Tournament is that aggresive?

Thanks for the heads up. And it also didn't have the powerful fragrance. Hmmmm................

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    13 years ago

Abraham Darby's blooms look great iris_gal!
    I know what you mean with the nasty allergies, we brought a Mister Lincoln bloom into the house and I had to remove it. lol

• mnkitty
    13 years ago

very pretty.

Thank you,
    kitty

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    13 years ago

So how close is Tournament to Abe? I have only been growing roses for a couple of years and still consider myself a newbie and I don't really know how aggressive Tournament is. Good luck exploring underneath. Curious to see what you find and what others think. Take care, Judy

• iris_gal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pretty Petals ~~~ I am shocked. Abe has disappeared. I knew he was the end rose which is now Tournament. These bushes were only 4 feet apart. So the pics are definately Tourn. of Roses.

I planted a Grevillea 'Canberra' for the hummingbirds which I think has engulfed Abe???? Its needles are as sharp as thorns.

I didn't realize some Austins (Abe amongst them) throw out octopus canes and should be given plenty of room if you're in a mild winter climate where roses have a 12 month season.
    I had only seen Eglantyne and Symphony which are among the minority of small Austins. Now I know better.

Tourn. of Roses has been more upright than spreading. I'd say she's about 4 feet wide right now but 7 feet tall. Something special about this rose in sunlight. I see prettier pinks but come back to this one. Good vase life helps.

Sorry taking so long to answer.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    13 years ago

My goodness iris!! Sorry it has disappeared. Gonna get you another one? You know my Abe is going to have to have some support because of all the long canes. boo hoo! Really didn't want to have to do that but gotta figure it out somehow. Lots of my Austins throw out those long canes later in summer but the spring flush they kinda keep them under control. My Wild Eve is just craaaaazy. I am going to cut her waaaaaay back again. We have about 7 or 8 growing months but when they don't get as much sun as they do in the early season thats when the canes go crazy searching for the sun.

Wow, Your TOR is a monster. I bet its gorgeous when it has its spring flush. Mine is about 4 ft tall and 2 ft wide. It def does have good vase life. I agree, there are prettier pinks but this one is just so fluffy and always seems to have blooms. Take care, Judy

• sanrosa
    13 years ago

Gorgeous photo!
    I had Tourmament of Roses years ago when we lived in Sedona, AZ. It was such a pretty rose and I remember it as vigorous and hardy, but most roses really love Sedona, anyway. It's so nice to see one again.
    Sandra

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz