Return to the Rose Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DA Roses Part 2

Posted by beth NorCA 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 29, 09 at 0:28

Here's the rest of the ones that bloomed this yr.

JANET
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

JAYNE AUSTIN

JUBILEE CELEBRATION

JUDE THE OBSCURE

LILAC ROSE

MARY MAGDALENE

MARY ROSE

SUMMER SONG

TAMORA

THE PILGRIM

THE PRINCE

THE SHEPHERDESS

TRADESCANT

WISE PORTIA

Here is a link that might be useful: My Picturetrail Albums

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DA Roses Part 2

They all look pretty. How old are your roses? Are they grown in containers or straight into the ground?

I have a Jayne Austin rose - love the blooms but the scent reminds me of licorice (a long black sweet that I used to buy at the Tuck-Shop when I was young). Not my favorite smell though.

o

BETH all your DA's are just Captivating, just received my 2010 DA catalog and you roses could be feature in their catalog. This is my first year trying to grow Austins and I can only hope that mine turns out as good as your's. Thank you for sharing and hope to see more soon.
Harold

o

very nice beth! hope your feeling better!

o

Oh, Summer Song is sooooo beautiful. I love that color. I should stop looking at your pictures:-)

Masha

o

Beth, your pictures are nice. I hope my Summer Song actually blooms and is correctly named. The Prince is really good in my garden. His only problem is that he burns in the high summer temps. I have The Shepherdess on order again. Maybe it will make it this time. Does it rebloom well? Does Summer Song rebloom well?

I hope you get to feeling better soon. That pneumonia stuff is nasty. Have you had a pneumovax shot? It helps me to not get so sick that I get pneumonia on a regular basis.

o

• Posted by beth NorCA 9 (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 29, 09 at 14:26

Jimmy, my roses are anywhere from 1yr to 18yrs old. The DA's mostly between 1 and 12 tho. I do have some roses still in pots. But the DA's are all in the ground.

Harold, I just got my catalog too. I didn't order from them the last couple yrs, so I was surprised to get one. I like that new one YOUNG LYCIDAS. Looks very interesting!

Thank you Jim!

Masha, you really need SUMMER SONG!! It's a great rose. I love it!

Bustopher, SUMMER SONG is a first-season rose for me. It did really well. Rebloomed a couple times, and it grows kinda like a climber (like many of the DA's). I think you'll like it. THE SHEPHERDESS is a couple yrs old, and she's not in a very good location, so she didn't do so hot. I seriously need to add some mulch and stuff to the bed where she's planted. Not many of the roses there do all that great. I got the pneumonia shot several yrs ago. I've had pneumonia a couple other times in my life; first time in junior high and the last time seems like was waaay over 10 yrs ago. I have asthma, so I'm always susceptible to lung infections and pneumonia. This flu I had last week, they say is the Swine Flu. They don't test for it anymore unless you're hospitalized. But it's supposed to be it. I've also had "influenza" a few times in the last 10-15 yrs and never have I had it so bad as this time! The fevers and horrific body aches lasted almost 4 days; with the coughing and congestion still continuing on til now (and into my left lung). It has not been fun!

Everybody take care of yourself!! You don't want to get this crap!!

o

OH, Beth, that sounds awful! We don't have the H1N1 shots here yet. Did you have a vaccination? Hope you are better soon.

Thanks for the DA pics. I wish I had room to grow more than the three I have. Jubilee Celebration is my favorite. It stays a reasonable size here and blooms a lot.

o

Thu, Oct 29, 09 at 17:45

Thanks Snowheather! No, no flu shot. And we don't have the H1N1's available in our area yet. But where they do have them, people line up all over. I like JUBILEE CELEBRATION too. Mine actually tends to stay very short... like barely 2ft. Same with CHRISTOPHER MARLOWE. I have them planted next to each other and I always get them mixed up! They both grow short and sprawly.

o

Beth, I am always excited when I see you have a post! The above pictures are just fabulous. I Love the Austins and have poor luck with them. I just keep on trying cause I think they are so beautiful. I want to try Jubilee Celebration next spring and your picture is just what I`m looking for. Thank you for taking the time to share your roses with us and please, take care of yourself. Lesley

o

Love Janet's voluptuous blooms. And Tamora is certainly showing her loveliness.

o

I love Summer Song so much! It's not in the new David Austin catalog, is it available in the US at all? I want it.

o

Fri, Oct 30, 09 at 1:08

Ermingarde, I think the only places SUMMER SONG is available is Hortico and Palatine in Canada. I believe it's already sold out at Palatine. But Hortico should still have it available.

o

I love Janet! To me, it's blooms look like a lovely tea rose. How is its habit?

o

Fri, Oct 30, 09 at 12:35

Cincy, JANET is one of my favorites. Unfortunately the thrips like her, but her blooms are just so soft and beautiful. She grows like a climber, all lanky and sprawly, like an octopus, but reaching maybe 5-6ft at most. And her blooms and clusters are so heavy they mostly hang down, even on the heaviest of canes. The repeat is fairly decent too. I don't remember if there's any scent. She's a very interesting rose.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here