Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iris_gal

Lady of Shalott

iris_gal
9 years ago

This spring I could not take my eyes off this rose at Filoli Gardens. The most magical blend. Couldn't choose which picture to omit. So here goes.

Comments (25)

• iris_gal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

second view

• iris_gal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

4th view

• iris_gal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

fouth view (didn't show up - dup? sorry))

• iris_gal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

fifth view

• iris_gal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sixth view

• iris_gal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

last view - so demure

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

I love the first shot the best. :)
    What a lovely group of photos!!
    Lady of Shalott looks like a winner.
    Carol

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    9 years ago

Beautiful beautiful rose! She's so elegant!! Judy

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

What a beautiful rose!

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    9 years ago

What an eye catcher!

• KnoxRose z7
    9 years ago

I have two Ladies of Shalott that are almost a year old, they are amazing roses. They grow vigorously & the rebloom is quick and reliable, plus it is so fun to see the colors change as the petals unfold, also they have a soft fragrance that is really fresh and lovely. Out of all the roses I've grown to date, Lady of Shalott might be my favorite. (so far)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Yes, Lady of Shalott is one of my favorites also--and iris, those pictures are beautiful. They capture so well the golden apricot shades of this beautifully formed rose.

Kate

• ken-n.ga.mts
    9 years ago

This is a GREAT rose for tight mass planting. And if a cutting just happens to drop in a starter pot that just happens to be under the bush, it roots very easily.

• iris_gal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for enjoying and the positive feedback!

I'm being really careful about choosing the last few roses for my small garden. A "rooting pot" needs to go under Abraham Darby as he's gotten out of hand in present location. Even Heritage, after 18 yrs., has sent out 2 monster canes this summer. Hers go straight up rather than sideways like Abraham D.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

It's beautiful, Iris! Such pretty colors and form.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Wow that's a beautiful rose. What was the growth habit like? The flower looks similar to 'Lady Emma Hamilton'.

• dizzylizzy 7b
    9 years ago

Gorgeous color! I love it! I am also curious about the growth habit.

• KnoxRose z7
    9 years ago

For me the growth habit has been very similar to Golden Celebration, they can get very long octopus arms very quickly, but will not mind if you cut them back frequently. They form new basal canes regularly but sometimes need encouragement (trimming, shaping, pegging, etc) to have more lateral growth. She seems like she could get very large if you let her. She could very easily be trained to be a short to medium climber... Again I have only had my 2 Ladies for one year, but in that one year they went from bare root plants to around 5-6 feet tall & maybe 4-5 feet wide.

The blooms are very similar to Lady Emma Hamilton in color, but they have a different shape, the petals are smaller and there are more of them, at least compared to my 1 year old LEH. The growth habit is not similar to LEH at all, my LEH has stayed very compact, and produces much shorter canes with plenty of laterals that give her a rounded look.

They are both incredible roses, I go back and forth as to which one is my favorite. I probably like the shape of LEH's blooms a little better, and her scent is much stronger, but LOS far outperforms LEH in terms of vigorous growth & quick re-bloom, so I think she wins based on that.

Jessica.

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    9 years ago

My 2nd year plants are arching, with plenty of lateral growth so you have blooms along all parts of the shrub, not just on the ends of long canes like many Austins. The foliage is lovely and covers the whole plant. It has thrown some long canes, about 6', but not entirely out of scale with the whole bush. I've supported the longer canes with stakes and the overall appearance is very attractive and balanced.

• iris_gal
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think I will order her. Laterals I love. And I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who has noticed some Austins not producing them. I let one octopus of Evelyn stay and stay --- nearly a year. No laterals.

Broke down and ordered Sharifa and Jude last week from Chamblees. Not a single Austin for sale in this county last year. And the prices! Cheaper to pay shipping.

• Adrianne
    9 years ago

Ken,

What type of spacing would "tight mass planting" be?

I am replacing a large group of KOs in my front yard with LOS and am trying to figure that out currently. I'm in GA btw.

Thanks, Adrianne

• lorrihz
    9 years ago

that is a most beautiful rose. I have had my finger twitching over the Order button a few times. The only thing that makes me hesitant is that I have read that it is not very fragrant.

• bethnorcal9
    9 years ago

Oh boy! She's beautiful! I just got mine from DA USA a few days ago. Can't wait to see blooms like those!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    9 years ago

My LOS should be arriving any day now. She is so beautiful.

Iris_gal: I love your photos. I can see why you couldn't take your eyes off her.

lorrihz: Just hit the order button...you know you want to LOL!