Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
curdle1

Spring flush well underway

All the roses are really taking off - I will split this into a few parts, as I hadn't realized my pics were quite this large...

Charles Rennie McKintosh

Lady of Shalott

Peach profusion - a new one from Kordes

Redoute

Sharifa Asma

Souvenir de la Malmaison - was very happy to see only one bloom so far has balled; its been so wet here this spring

I had better stop now all the pinkness is getting a bit overwhelming

Comments (13)

• inga007
    10 years ago

Haven't seen a photo of Charles Rennie McKintosh for years. Nice blooms all and everyone

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

LoL on lots of pinkness... Looking good! :-)

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

They're all gorgeous! But I really love that LADY OF SHALOTT!

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Oh!!! And to think I almost missed this post!!!!
    Your CRM is exquisite - but Sharifa Asma is incredible!!!! I hope you don't mind that I just set SA as a background for my computer. Stunning!!! Should be in a calendar!!!!
    Of course they're all heavenly - but SA is !!!!!
    Carol

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

You and I like the same ones! Happy spring flush to you, I hope it's a great year.

• Curdle 10a (Australia)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for the compliments !

I've only just got all these this year, but most are shaping up pretty well so far. Lady of Shalott in particular looks like she will be a nice light and airy one with a good shape and is pretty blackspot free.

I am glad you liked the Sharifa Asma pic Carol; I rather impressed myself with that one :) Although it was a very nice bloom to start off with.

Yes kitty, I seem to ended up with a lot of Austins - I tried to have a good spread of different types of roses, but so many of the Austins seem to be the right size for pots. And they are so lovely..still, it gives me an excuse to buy more roses..I need at least one of every class, surely..

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Love all your Austins (and Souvenir de la Malmaison). Yes, Lady of Shalott makes a nicely shaped bush that blooms a lot--and has lovely blooms. And is fairly good on bs-resistance. It is one of my favorite recent Austins--but you have some other lovely ones also.

Kate

• mzstitch
    10 years ago

I was just starting to get bummed out as my rose season is coming to an end. Theres my solution, a winter home in your spring! Beautiful blooms, especially Charles Rennie McKintosh,

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

CRM is just magnificent and I love the exquisite color shading of Peach Profusion. I'm going to look that one up. All the delicate colors of your roses I just adore. Is your part of Australia a great rose growing area? I always think of your country as bright and sunny and warm. I hope your spring continues to produce more lovely blooms for you. Wish it were spring here! Diane

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Looked at this again - and I'm in love with Charles Rennie!!!! Soooooo pretty!
    Carol

• Curdle 10a (Australia)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I really liked the blooms on CRM; lovely lilac pinky colour - and they lasted quite well on the bush, haven't tried to pick for a vase yet. No smell either, but then he is only new, planted as a bareroot this winter. Unfortunately he only managed about 3 (admittedly gorgeous) blooms, and like 80% of the collection, (eh, most of that's pretty new, too) is now resting.
    Peach Profusion tried hard to live up to its name; sadly he got attacked by a big thunderstorm at just the wrong moment, and the blooms suffered. Still, so far its been extremely healthy and bushy with nice glossy dark green leaves. No fragrance, but no blackspot or mildew either.
    . Only Julia Child, Pope John II and Buff Beauty are still hard at work. Blooms started doing odd things like semi balling, going manky round the edges, and being rather undersized..growth seemed to have stopped, and blackspot is attacking just about everything:(
    I suspect it may have to do with the weather; grey wet and mostly overcast, with the occasional sunny muggy day; strangely up and down temperature wise.
    And that's what its like here in Spring, Diane! We get a short cool spring, followed by a fairly hot longish summer, which seems to be getting hotter by the year. I am down south, and near the city/coast; means it doesn't tend to get to the extremes it does in the country- little frost for instance. everything tends to shut down in the last two months of summer tho; the backyard turns into a bit of a desert.
    I had a bit of a tidy up today, and things do seem to be looking up; new growth is now appearing and hopefully I can get another flush before the really hot weather starts!

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Yes, I just love the color of CRM's flowers. So pretty! How big are the blooms?
    Carol

• surya55_gw
    10 years ago

Thx for brightening up my dreary day; it's such a pleasure to scroll down and see the gorgeous blooms. It's great to see what others have to offer a world away.....

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner