Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ronda_in_carolina

Stack Stone Wall Finished...Rose Hill Fall 2007

ronda_in_carolina
16 years ago

Before I purchased my home. Note the junipers in the back--this is all hillside.

{{gwi:288671}}

In the beginning there was a hill that blended with the yard. Keeping the Bermuda Grass from running up the hill was becoming a major feat.

{{gwi:288672}}

{{gwi:288673}}

No small job digging back this hill side. It is hard red clay, soap rock and stone.

{{gwi:288674}}

{{gwi:288675}}

I used a garden hose to develop and visualize my curve

{{gwi:254054}}

The first course takes the longest...level level level

{{gwi:288676}}

Onward...oh my back!!!

{{gwi:288677}}

{{gwi:288679}}

{{gwi:288681}}

DONE!!!

{{gwi:220452}}

Now I need to add a few random steps up the hill and fill in all the narrow gaps with slate and shale to complete the job.

This was a tough project but worth it. I absolutely LOVE the finished look. By the way, I never did anything like this before. I went to the library and checked out 12 books on stone and walls and read up before I started. I opted to do a dry stack since I didn't want to deal with mortar. The wall is solid and sturdy as a dry stack because of its short height. It took 2 pallets of stone to complete this run. I did have some left over but only about 1/6 of a pallet. Total poundage of rocks moved from pallet to wall=4033 lbs. If you want to see more images of the stages of the wall you can click the link below.

Ronda

Here is a link that might be useful: The whole project including pond

Comments (20)

• karenforroses
    16 years ago

Wow! That is really beautiful Thanks for sharing!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    16 years ago

So cool! I'm amazed at all the work--and 4000 lbs! Love that curvy line--just what was needed to define your uphill bed. And I love your waterfall/pool. Congratulations on a BIG job well-done.

Kate

• garden2garden
    16 years ago

Wow, that's incredible! Considering what you had to start with I can surely (or is that sorely :) appreciate the amount of work you have put into it.

Absolutely love the stone wall, it's perfect! Love the curves.

Have you thought about doing any more terracing? Just a thought. It's a long term project I know. It looks like it would help all around. With water and care and easier access to your roses. And you could have some little things rambling things cascading over the edges to soften the lines and shade the soil.

I can see free form terraces and a nice step/stairway of some sort winding up thru at an angle.

My hat's off to you. I think you did a great job. I love the pictures you took along the way. That's the way my "Rose Garden" looks all the time it's a work in progress and I'm enjoying every minute I'm there.

I can see you are too. Thanks for sharing. It's beautiful.

• zeffyrose
    16 years ago

WOW --- CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!that is an amazing job-----You should be very proud of yourself----

It looks wonderful----I too like the curvy line of the wall----

A job well done----

Thanks for sharing with us.

Florence

• lesmc
    16 years ago

Wow Ronda,
    You ROCK!! Great job and a lovely garden.I really admire your guts to take on such a back breaking job. Now, just ENJOY. Lesley

• rainbow_2007
    16 years ago

Excellent work...the pond is beautiful. Very creative.

• char_rose
    16 years ago

Great job! You deserve to be proud!

• bettyd_z7_va
    16 years ago

Simply awesome!!!!!! I love,love,love rocks. The roses are beautiful also. Great job! I am retiring at the end of the year and some low rock walls are on my list for the steep hill in my side yard. You give me hope with your beautiful workmanship. You've given me the confidence to try it. Thanks for sharing.

Betty

• erasmus_gw
    16 years ago

You did a great job with the rocks...it adds so much. I love rock walls.
    Linda

• berndoodle
    16 years ago

I love stone. That's a great look.

• cupshaped_roses
    16 years ago

It was worth the hard work!!!

• jean_ar
    16 years ago

WOW!!! A lot of work there,but it really looks great.You should be very proud of all that work,and I love the little pond..I made me a n ice pond and waterfall a few years ago and got to injoy it 2 seasons,before a couple huge snakes found it,and I wasn't willing to share it with snakes,so I removed the fish and filled it in and planted roses in it.

Jean

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

That is very impressive and an excellent job. I bet you feel an immense satisfaction at the completion, how beautiful it is and a huge sigh of relief that it's done!

• michelle_co
    16 years ago

Love it! Major kudos!!! How beautiful will that be when the plants mature...

I thought about terracing, too. (ducking for cover)

Cheers,
    Michelle

• jbcarr
    16 years ago

The time sequence pictures are great.

• sherryocala
    16 years ago

What a phenomenal job! Not only beautiful but well done, too! I really love the overall look and the curves. Gee, how did you know how much rock to buy?
    I guess rock beats Bermuda grass!
    You got spunk, Ronda!
    Sherry

• rosyjennifer
    16 years ago

Just fantastic. The wall, the roses, everything. : )

• ronda_in_carolina
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Everyone--thank you so much for your compliments...it makes it all worth it.

I was nervous to do this myself but I had several books from the library that gave me step-by-step instructions. One even had step-by-step pictures which I require. LOL I don't even like to try a new recipe unless I can see what its supposed to look like when its done.

The hardest thing to do was to decide on the curve. It is harder to imagine such a large curve pattern than you would think. I actually did a 12' run and then just looked at it for a while. I made a few adjustments to the remainder of my curve to suit me and then I took off.

I love my pond and find it to be the most relaxing part of my yard. I don't think I will have snakes but instead I am seeing many black widows this year. I just hate them. I guess every region has its pest. I also considered the singing tree frog a 'pest' and relocated him to my sisters house (more land) so my neighbors could sleep LOL

My garden is my solace. Every project I do keeps me healthy in mind and body. My neighbors have told me that they want me to find 'comfort' in their yards when I run out of space in mine. LOL

• iowa_jade
    16 years ago

Ronda,
    Your garden is very pleasing to the eye. The color and texture of the mulch works well.
    It is fun working with dry stone walls. I am trying to get the troll to free up a few more centavos to finish our project under our deck. One of these years.
    I liked your choice of roses, esp the Buck roses. Gruss an Aachen; I have had a devil of a time growing. After killing several of them I planted one in my neighbor's yard and it did wonderfully. After about three of our Iowa winters it gave up the ghost, but it was beautiful while it lasted.

F.L.

• pagan
    16 years ago

Ronda - tis way too nice! You did a great job!