Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethnorcal9

Fall blooms Part 1

bethnorcal9
13 years ago

This has been a really nice fall so far, following one of the mildest summers I've seen in yrs. It's still warm, but not uncomfortable. I think we're going to either have a later winter, or maybe not so severe of one. The leaves on the trees are late dropping this yr. They've barely begun to turn color. The squirrels are eating the nuts more than hoarding them. The roses are still blooming and budding. The deer have hit bigtime this yr tho. I would have more blooms than this, but they've chowed quite a lot.

Here's the first batch of blooms from the last few days...

AVALANCHE - florist rose

{{gwi:1284919}}

BLACKBERRY NIP

{{gwi:1284920}}

CHARLES DE GAULLE

{{gwi:1284921}}

ENCHANTED - an obscure J&P rose

{{gwi:1284922}}

LOBO

{{gwi:1284923}}

MAVRIK

{{gwi:1284924}}

NEPTUNE

{{gwi:1284925}}

OKSANA

{{gwi:1198482}}

SUSAN ELIZABETH - a gorgeous rose, but the thrips love her! Hard to get a good bloom.

{{gwi:1284926}}

STRANGER

{{gwi:1284927}}

Comments (10)

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Charles de Gaulle is so pretty! I would have to rename it if it was in my garden, though. I despise him, even though he's dead.

De Gaulle did say one very funny thing, though, when French university students had taken over the country in May '68. He had fled to Germany (isn't that where they always go?) and was being interviewed by a reporter on the situation in France. In response to a question, he fumed: "How does one rule over a country with 267 different varieties of cheese?"

Viva la fromage/differance!

Renee

• flaurabunda
    13 years ago

Either I'm not paying very good attention or you have mesmerized me with all of the other blooms this summer because I've never before noticed Stranger. WOW. I'm supposing this is another one of those roses that only exists in California? You do have some beauties, Beth.

• C Schaffner
    13 years ago

Oh my goodness, I'm loving stranger. So soft and delicate.

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    13 years ago

Charles de Gaulle has a nice color. I have one, but it can be a long time between reflowerings. I am curious about Stranger. That one is interesting. Thanks for posting. The Charles de Gaulle, Stranger, Blackberry Nip, and Purple Splash, if you have it, would make quite a bouquet together provided they all bloomed at the same time.

• dove_song
    13 years ago

STRANGER and LOBO....sigh

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everybody!

Yeah Renee, I'm not so keen on the name. But it's a beautiful rose. There are many roses out there with names I don't like, but if the rose is a beauty, I don't care.

Guys, STRANGER is another florist rose, unfortunately not readily available. I got mine from a source who wishes to remain anonymous, altho I think a couple other people might've gotten one from him and made mention of it in the past. A couple of others have rooted them from florist stems.

• organicgardendreams
    13 years ago

What beautiful roses you have posted here, again Beth!

Avanlanche looks like an awesome pretty rose and I adore the lavender colored roses Charles de Gaulle and Neptune. I got a own root Neptune this year, but the rabbits attacked it severely and it hasn't recovered from that brutal ambush. Oksana seems to be a very interesting and unusual in terms of coloration and form. I am always surprised by the variety of different roses out there...

Thanks for posting!

Christina

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

Here I thought CHARLES DE GAULLE was the perfect lavender rose that I missed. Still a gorgeous bloom.

I'm intrigued by MAVRIK - several different looks at HMF. Does it blow quickly? TIA

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Christina, OKSANA is one of my favorite roses. I don't particularly like the name, but the rose is so beautiful. It's quite different from anything else. Unfortunately, it's not all that great of a bloomer, and it has weak necks most of the time. But I love it.

Irisgal, CDG is a wonderful rose. The form is always so lovely on it. It's really too feminine of a rose to be named for a man, no matter who! And as far as MAVRIK goes, it doesn't blow all that fast, but for a rose with that many petals, I suppose it could last longer in cooler areas. That particular bloom was about 2-3 days old, and it opened up more the next day. Early in the season, the thrips usually do some damage.

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

Thanks Beth. Also liked hearing the detail on OKSANA - neat rose.