Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_dark_lady

Had first frost, but roses are still go strong

the_dark_lady
11 years ago

Thanks to dear husband, moved all the tender tropicals (three dozen citrus, plus Cajun Hibiscus and other exotics) to the garage last night.

First hard frost here. Kind'a early.

Please take a look at some roses I photographed yesterday. More pics taken today to come.

Red Leonardo da Vinci - non-stop bloomer, has some BS (without spray) but overall, a great rose

{{gwi:1285818}}

Matchball (bought couple of years ago from Cliff), very nice shrubby rose, blooms a lot

{{gwi:1199668}}

I have a few bushes of Mary Rose in my garden. This one is a standard

{{gwi:1199666}}

Artemis, a wonderful shrub from Tantau

{{gwi:1285820}}

Comtesse du Barry, bought from Hortico. Love those cheery yellow flowers!

{{gwi:1197043}}

My Pomponellas are blooming nicely now, even without any deadheading

{{gwi:1285822}}

Young Lycidas (got it as a mislabeled plant from DA,TX - supposed to be Fair Bianca :) Love it

{{gwi:1285823}}

Beautiful russet colors of Chocolate Sundae

{{gwi:1285824}}

Sebastian Kneipp flying high in the sky :)

{{gwi:1205837}}

Sterntaler, huge blooms of rich yellow

{{gwi:1205876}}

Thank you very much for looking!

Marina

Comments (11)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    11 years ago

Marina, again you're showing the most unusual and beautiful roses. May I ask where you live? I really enjoy seeing roses I haven't heard about or haven't seen. Thanks for the pleasure.

Ingrid

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

Hello Marina,
    I hope you are feeling better and better--it's good to see your beautiful photos again. I love red Leonardo, and didn't know there was a red version. Is it available in the US, and do you like it as well as pink Leonardo? Pomponella is eyepopping--love it! I hope my Young Lycidas produces the lush blooms yours does (mine are still on the small side; the plant is very young). Thank you for all the lovely photos we so enjoy. Diane

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

OK, that does it. I need to get that Pomponella!

We've had a couple of light frosts but nothing hard yet. The roses have pretty much gone into suspended animation though. I have buds all over showing color that haven't moved a bit toward opening all week long. It's supposed to warm up this week but it's going to rain so they may not ever open now. Sigh...it's going to be a long, cold, dark few months...

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you very much, Ingrid, Seil and Diane!
    Diane, Red Leonardo da Vinci is not available here yet, I've got mine as a cutting from my friend in Europe. I love this rose, it is a great bloomer, the flowers last for a loooong time on the bush and then drop cleanly. Makes a nice bush, too.

Ingrid, I live in Virginia, South-West of Richmond.

Marina

• TNY78
    11 years ago

We were supposed to have our first hard frost here the other night, but it was more of a light frost.

I am in love with your Leonardo DaVinci! If it wasn't for the BS, it would be on my wish list for sure! Also, Chocolate Sundae is beautiful! That'swhat I love about this time of year...vibrant and deep colors...espcially with the russets!

Tammy

• inga007
    11 years ago

I loved all your photos, many unseen before. I thought Artemis was my fave, until I saw Chocolate Sundae.
    Lovely, lovely..Thanks for sharing

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you very much, Ingrid, Inga, Tammy, Sail and Diane!
    I am happy to post the photos of my roses. I understand, that most of them are new to the US gardens, but I am happy to grow them as rooted cuttings.

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

THIS IS SO WEIRD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I DID NOT POST THE LAST MESSAGE!!!!

Yes, I am happy to have some rare European roses as rooted cuttings, but that last post IS NOT MINE!!!!

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Why in world somebody would be so 'nice' to post for me?!?!?

• iris_gal
    11 years ago

That is indeed strange that another person found a way to post as you!!!

Red Leonardo sent me scurrying to HMF. How big does it get for you in VA?

I've been searching for a heart-be-still red, other than my lovely Mr. Lincoln, and this may be it.
    Francois Rabelais showed up as bright orange-red in our nursery! Phooey. L D Braithwaite, Red Eden, Rouge Royal,
    The Squire and William Shakespeare 2000 are ones I haven't seen in person and would like to.
    Comments from all are welcome - true color, growth size or disease problems.

• jktx55
    11 years ago

Thank you dark lady for sharing your beautiful pictures of roses I haven't seen before.
    jack

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm