kstrong
12 years ago

Dreamcatcher:

Stranger:

Simsalabim:

Tooth Fairy (named after the shape of the tiny petals):

Rural England;

Okay -- now I'll tell you why I posted those:

It is time once again for our rose society to have its major fundraising event, and for all of you to drool over the rare and unusual roses that COULD come to live in your gardens. Most of the roses we auction are not now available anywhere else in commerce and there is something for everyone on the lists -- some for OGR enthusiasts, some for exhibitors, some for cold zoners and others more appropriate to warmer zones. This year we have something of a specialty in micro-minis and roses of Japanese origin, which seem to have a certain elegance to them. Anyways, please peruse the lists at your convenience. As always, the roses will be divided into a live auction and a silent auction, both held on November 13 in Carlsbad, California, and we will accept on-line bids until noon on November 12th. And again (because it worked well last year) we will be holding roses for those of you in colder zones until spring, and will ship them to you when your weather is appropriate. Almost all of the roses are own-root roses that we grew for the auction from cuttings.

Live auction rose list

Silent auction rose list

Schedule and on-line bidding instructions

We do not sell the same roses every year, so for this group, it may be now or never, you never know.

Kathy

Comments (7)

• TNY78
    12 years ago

Simsalabim is amazing! I just wished I lived closer!

• rosynut
    12 years ago

Dreamcatcher out of this world - super fotos. What camera are you using?

• kstrong
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My camera is an old Nikon Coolpix S10 point and shoot that I got on Ebay after my old one died and Nikon had stopped making the model I wanted, or anything comparable. Think I got for $50, but you have to watch EBay for one to come available at that price. The thing that makes it good for rose photos (or anything close up) is the long optical zoom length. Digital zoom is nowhere near as good, which is why the newer Coolpix cameras are less good.

The new cameras -- Coolpix included -- all favor flatness of the camera body over the quality of the pictures. This one, with the lens that rotates out, can do 10X OPTICAL (not digital) zoom, because there is space in the camera body for that much lense length with the lens rotated out.

I hope this camera never dies on me, because I love it.

Here is a link that might be useful: This camera, but this guy wants too much for it.

• ron_and_susan
    12 years ago

Kathy--Do you know who will carry Simsalabim in the US? Your shots of these Roses to be auctioned off are extraordinary.--Ron

• lesmc
    12 years ago

WOW! Kathy, I sure wish I lived closer I would sure like a chance at all of those! Thank you for showing us such unusual roses. I really loved them all. EspeciallyStranger. I`m a sucker for lavender! Lesley

• kstrong
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No commercial vendor has ever offered Simsalabim as a garden rose, to my knowledge, and probably no one ever will. It was introduced by Kordes as a florist rose -- a sport of Abracadabra (and Simsalabim means Abracadabra in German, apparently). The rose society got it for the auction by rooting stems from a florist's bouquet. To my knowledge, our auction is the only place it has ever been sold as a growing plant.

And folks -- we do take on-line bids and do ship (within the U.S. only), so Lesmc and TNY78, distance should not be a factor.

• kstrong
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Last call for internet bids. Final time for on-line bids is noon today. Our weather is horrible -- it's pouring kitties and puppies right now -- which means our attendance and therefore the prices, will probably be lower than usual. I'm thinking $10 to $15 should be the average price for roses on the Silent Auction list and just a little higher on the Live Auction list. Of course there will be some that will catch fire price wise, but not too many of them.

We have 230 roses to sell and are expecting 30-35 in person bidders. That's not very many.

And of course, we couldn't resist adding a few more new varieties that came our way at the last moment, so there is new stuff on the website from the last time you looked.

Come one, come all.

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Silent auction list

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm