Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Two different Peace Roses

sara_ann-z6bok
10 years ago

Two Peace roses, different bush, same bed. I knew the color could vary, but I thought it was more of a seasonal thing. These were both taken today.

Comments (11)

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This one is a lot more yellow.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

Great shots of your blooms... :-)
    I see a lady bug in the bloom of your second pic...:-)

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Jim - Yes, I saw the bug, wasn't a ladybug though, some kind we have this time of year, they don't seem to hurt anything though.

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

That is the craziest thing I've ever seen. I had no idea they varied that much on the same bush. Susan

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Susan - To me the color difference is crazy, they are on two different bushes though. I just didn't think the color would vary so much when they bloomed at the same time. I thought it had more to do with the weather than anything else.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Usually Peace is more yellow than pink for me. Were the blooms on the pink one yellower earlier in the year?

On your bug, is it sort of lime green and spotted like a lady bug but longer, more oval than round? If so it's a cucumber beetle and they do eat the roses. I have them this time of year too and it's so discouraging because they show up just about the time the dratted JBs disappear and take over munching the roses.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seil - Usually my Peace roses are a cream color (or very pale yellow) with pink edges, not as yellow as the yellow one and not as much pink as the pinker one. Both bushes were about the same all season. You described the bug perfectly, but I haven't noticed my roses getting eaten, better watch it though. Thanks.

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

Peace is a gorgeous rose.

I looked up cucumber beetle at Wikipedia. Bad news! Had heard the spotted ones (which I have) called Diabrotica.

So I'm trying to document the last bud on 'Betty White'. Lowish temps. Perfect. After it opened a bit there were the spotted beetles. No chewed holes. OK, harmless. Nope. When the bloom opened more the outer petals where the beetles were had damage. Like small beige-ish watermarks uglifying those petals. Maybe they like pastel pinks as haven't seen them on darker roses?

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Lovely roses!! Very interesting - the differences between them. Love, love the first one - wow!!
    Carol

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Carol. I like it the best too. I love the Peace Rose. I wouldn't say it is my favorite, but I really like it and mine have done really well this year..

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

I love the changeable color of Peace and Chicago Peace. The color lightens and changes too as it opens so that's exciting too. Both of these Peace roses are great. You will have to watch and see if one is always darker than the other. I have two different Medallions and one is always darker. Maybe it's the location in the yard or just a difference between the two plants because they came from different sources. Thanks for sharing these fine looking roses. I always thought that rose was so lucky to have the name Peace.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz