Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoovb

First Annual Ugly Rose Contest!

First Annual Ugly Rose Contest. Here's my entry, ABBAYE DE CLUNY

Ok, folks, post your entries!

Rules: Nope, JB conventions don't count. It's got to be the rose that is ugly, not the bugs or the disease.

Comments (39)

• bethnorcal9
    17 years ago

Well, here's mine:

SUSAN ELIZABETH HT
    {{gwi:1287024}}

Weird looking isn't it? Almost alien-like!

• jean_ar
    17 years ago

wow,I don't have any right now,as the deer ate them.They don't care if they ugly or gorgeous,just so long as its a bloom.

Jean

• canadian_rose
    17 years ago

What a great topic!!! Can't wait to see more! BIG SMILE

Carol

• niecey
    17 years ago

It looks like Joseph needs a new coat.

Sexy Rexy, in an uncomfortable position

Niecey

• liane_z4_canada
    17 years ago

Niecey that is just too funny.
    Liane
    P.S. What a good idea for a thread

• kathwhit
    17 years ago

I am cracking up. I can't post pictures, but sure do have some candidates not that the rains and the mold are here. Please post more. I need validation!
    Kathy

• erasmus_gw
    17 years ago

Sorry, Sexy Rexy is not looking ugly to me.

• aprille
    17 years ago

I had some uglies - but I never take pictures of them! wish I had ... maybe I'll go out and hunt some down - remember seeing some awful blooms on Henry Nevard and my Sexy Rexy had some really ugly blooms - what a wonderful thread!

aprille

• Beth Willett
    17 years ago

Here's my disappointment for the year! Red Eden, no buds opened nicely, when they did they were brown and crisp!

• tatiana_il
    17 years ago

here is my usually beautiful "marco polo" having a "bad hair day
    {{gwi:1287031}}

• canadian_rose
    17 years ago

More! More!

Carol

• aprille
    17 years ago

I was organizing my rose pictures yesterday when I came across these pictures of Elle taken earlier this year - I think they qualify! she made up for these uglies by giving me some pretty blooms later on thank god! seems like the spider mites really like her - and her neighbour Full Sail .. no pictures of Full Sail though

{{gwi:1287033}}

{{gwi:1287036}}

{{gwi:1287038}}

aprille

• phylrae
    17 years ago

EEEEWWWWW!!! :0(

• veilchen
    17 years ago

lol alida. You've captured the true essence of a spent rugosa blossom!

• iowa_jade
    17 years ago

Blanc Double de Coubert is the used TP king.

{{gwi:1287041}}

• carla17
    17 years ago

These are too funny.

• lesmc
    17 years ago

I just s.p.ed Blanc ! Your picture says it all! HA ! Lesley

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

Pride goeth before a fall, my fall is complete, like my humiliation earlier last week. I rescued a rose from a neighbor he was going to "throw away". I had two perfect Lavender Crystal rose bushes, this particular one was ready to bloom with over a dozen buds and now they all look like this one or worse they will not even open. That'll teach me.... no more pride and no more rescuing... Leslie

Here is a link that might be useful:

• phylrae
    17 years ago

Leslie,
    When I saw your photo, I wished I had some photos of Lagerfeld when the JBs got to them and the rain too. It can be SUCH a gorgeous rose, but SO UGLY at times, much uglier than your Lavender Crystal. :0) Phyl

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

Really Phyl? I waited weeks while the buds accumulated on this bush and there were dozens and then bam, I knew I should have taken that rose bush from the neighbor!!!! I went out and sprayed all the roses in the bed they're all about to and or blooming and so far, knock on wood they're not affected.... Darn it all. But, I think I got rapped because I said one too many times I didn't have any problems so from now on, let those words not pass my fingers....... and they just did.... Thanks for your encouragement and I did see worse photos, I'm sorry for the other rose growers, it is terrible to work so hard and then... Leslie

• char_rose
    17 years ago

Gee, you all posted some sorry roses. I didn't have any that merited posting until today. It has been very windy all day. The north wind is dry with gusts up to 30 mph. As a result, my color magic went overnight from this

To this:

To take this picture, I had to cut and bring this poor rose inside.

• lesdvs9
    17 years ago

Holy cow!..... My bad rose somehow went from the way it looked to half way good.and the rest of the buds are going to be the same half way ok, not great but going to open afterall.. Go figure, I sprayed the bush and all of the ones in the garden with good old dish soap didn't want whatever it was to travel, don't know what got my rose, no bugs on it, and then went down to OSH and got a general all purpose insecticidal soap and sprayed it again and all the other minis and today the lavender crystal is making a comeback, not beautiful but not giving into whatever got it, and I didn't have any winds that blew backwards in time:) Les

Jeez what a beautiful rose before.....

• purpleroses
    17 years ago

{{gwi:1287047}}

This was the scariest thing I've seen in my garden.

• brother_cadfael
    17 years ago

Here's my signature rose... having a bad day.

'Brother Cadfael'
    {{gwi:1287049}}

BC:)

• pmo3ws
    17 years ago

I was going through my photos and I had taken a picture of my ugly rose last week and had forgetten to post it here. Love this thread!
    {{gwi:1287051}}

Here is a link that might be useful: My Ugly Rose

• moodyblue
    17 years ago

Such a hilarious thread. Who'd have believed that instead of going "YUCK"!!!! we are seeing the funny side of our queen of flowers.

This was a toss up, I could not pick one over the other! teehee!
    Sharifa Asma

....and Double Un-delight

Pauline - Vancouver Island

• PRO
    Susan Serra
    17 years ago

Here's my contribution!!

• canadian_rose
    17 years ago

Shudder and blech - LOL.

So do we have a winner - should we vote? Tee hee

Carol

• kathwhit
    17 years ago

Pauline's Double Un-Delight looks like all the roses in my garden right now. I keep trying to pick the buds before they rot, but its a race. Sometimes I can get then in time and they will open inside. Mostly they look like Paulines pix.
    Kathy

• aprille
    17 years ago

Can I add another one? just found this one outside - it's Champagne - the weather got so cold and rainy here, I rescued most of the buds unopned, but was too late for this one.

{{gwi:1287059}}

this bloom on Champage managed to avoid looking like it's sister bloom
    {{gwi:1287061}}

aprille

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    17 years ago

Hilarious! Sorry I dont have any really ugly roses (though my Marmalade Skies can look a bit sickly sometimes). I really think those brownish "coffee" roses are ugly. Please keep the picts comming!
    CMK

• irish_rose_grower
    17 years ago

You all are so funny! One is uglier than the next :-) I don't know if I could pick the ugliest one out of these.

• cindyandmocha
    17 years ago

Can roses actually have spina bifida???

I have to say that this thread really made me laugh -- and also feel much better about my amateur efforts. I just paid a guy to do some major landscaping in my back yard and leave me some spaces for roses. I'm planning on lots. Now I feel better about my choices and if they don't "gel" then its ok. Even the experts have bad days.

• cjrosaphile
    17 years ago

Great thread! You had me laughing so hard on some of the shots that you got me crying on this one. Better to cry while laughing than to cry at the actual sight of some of my roses. I can most definitely relate. Thought it was only me with the bad blooms. CJ

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    17 years ago

The spring weather last year was freaky and my brand new bare root rose, 'Tineke', gave me this mess for her first set of blooms. As the weather evened out her blooms returned to normal and she's now on my keeper list.

• patricianat
    17 years ago

Oh, that vegetative nitrogen mess in early spring. I am glad you kept your Teneke. It is a beauty when blooming properly.

• cajunrosegal
    17 years ago

ACK! I love love this thread, Ive been laughing and lamenting with everyones pix. Ive had some icks myself just havent taken pix of the poor things. This year Im going to take some ugly photos to save. We need to do this once and awhile. Thanks for posting this. Was really fun.
    Angela

• towandaaz
    8 years ago

Hoovb, this was so funny. I hope you do this again this year. Wow, tears were squirting out of my eyes I was laughing so hard.