Return to the Rose Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mister Lincoln bloom turned purple... lol

Posted by jim1961 6a Central Pa. (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 15:21

I've been bringing in Mister Lincoln buds into the house and putting in a vase since outside weather has been colder recently ...

This time around I placed alittle sugar in the water everytime I changed the water. I've noticed the roses lasting longer BUT they turned from red to a more darker purple color...lol...Kinda of a cool color...
Anyone else ever experience this type of color change?

photo CIMG5643_zps62eacb52.jpg
 photo CIMG5649_zps4176962a.jpg

This post was edited by jim1961 on Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 16:13

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mister Lincoln bloom turned purple... lol

Hi Jim: thanks for those nice pics, I appreciate your sharing the result. Your Mr. Lincoln looks great, I love that purple color. I did the same with molasses to deepen my pink blooms. Here's an excerpt from previous thread:

RE: This is for Carol, or PortlandMysteryrose

•Posted by Strawberryhill 5a IL (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 14:44

On page 248 of Science book, see link below, in 1908 the Rhode Island Rose society did experiments of cut roses, and they found a 7 to 10% sugar solution improved the appearance of cut roses, plus deepened the colors of the pink varieties.

Which explains why Gardenville Sea Tea with molass deepened the colors of Serena's roses in KS, listed under Organic Honey-bees Garden profile in HMF.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1908 Rhode Island experiment with cut roses

•Posted by PortlandMysteryRose 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 15:03

"Thank you, Strawberry. My grandmom and mom taught me to use a little sugar and a tiny bit of lemon juice in cut flower vases." Carol.

***** From Strawberryhill: See below link for the pictures I posted in Organic Roses Forum: I made Angel Face rose turned deep purple, Evelyn deep pink, and Sonia Rykiel much deeper pink with molasses (slightly acidic).

Here is a link that might be useful: Molasses to deepen bloom colors

o

Neat color. Reminds me of Twilight Zone.

o

• Posted by jim1961 6a Central Pa. (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 26, 13 at 11:49

Thanks for info Strawberry...

o

Looks like Mr Lincoln is now Mr Ebb Tide, but still awfully gorgeous. I don't think I've tried the sugar trick on a dark one, but with lighter colored roses, I never noticed any darkening in color when sugar was added to their water. Diane

o

It looks more like Ebb Tide now! Does this sugar color change trick work only with cut flowers? Will it work with growing plants, like if you put a spoonful of sugar in your watering can and water them with it?

o

I love your rose. Are you sure it's 'Mr. Lincoln'. I've never seen him open like this.

o

Oh gorgeous!! I love that color!! I especially love the bloom on the left in the first picture.
Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here