Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_dark_lady

Mixed bag - Austins, Kordes and others...

the_dark_lady
12 years ago

Please take a look at the pictures I took this morning.

Please enjoy.

Marina

Austin's 'Symphony' is really lovely. Perfectly arranged flowers of most pleasing yellow.

{{gwi:1287105}}

Another shot of 'Munstead Wood' blooms

{{gwi:1287107}}

Tantau's climber 'Barock'

{{gwi:1287111}}

Again, a few pics of my beloved 'Kocher Red'

{{gwi:1287114}}

{{gwi:1287116}}

{{gwi:1287119}}

Very pretty and delicate flower of 'The Alexandra Rose'

{{gwi:1287122}}

Huge, magnificent bloom of 'White Gold' (I regret, because of the rain, I could not take pictures earlier - the bush was loaded with this beauties)

{{gwi:1287124}}

The 'miniature' copy of 'Mermaid' - 'Happenstance' - always carry this sweet blooms

{{gwi:1199382}}

Rich colors of 'Dusky Maiden'

{{gwi:1287127}}

Large, cabbagy blooms of 'Heather Austin' are one of my faves

{{gwi:1287129}}

Cute pompons of 'Pomponella'

{{gwi:1287131}}

{{gwi:1287133}}

Reliable, steady bloomer 'John Claire'

{{gwi:1197301}}

Comments (14)

• mantis__oh
    12 years ago

Really vivid colors and crystal clear photos! I was thinking of getting White Gold; can you tell me more about its performance? Wonder, for example, how well it opens (seems heavily petaled), how floriferous it is, and of course whether it is disease resistant.

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, Mantis!
    I grow my White Gold in a middle of nowhere in my garden - poor soil, no water, no fertilizer. Unfortunately, I planted it right after we moved to this house, and I had no idea what kind of gardening conditions I am having here.
    Nevertheless, this rose grew to a very nice 'fountain' shaped bush. I've never sprayed this rose and you can see from the photo that leaves look nice and clean.
    As for balling, I can not comment on this - I go to see this rose way too seldom. I know it looks nice in spring and fall... have no comment about summer - it's too hot here and the rose grows too far from my 'regular' path:)))
    Marina

• amberroses
    12 years ago

The picture of Munstead Wood is better than the one in the catalog. I'm quite serious.

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    12 years ago

Nice pictures. The Barock climber is nice. Does your Symphony put out all that many flowers? Mine does not. It just has maybe 3 or 4 in the year. Munstead Wood is a different story. It blooms regularly for me. Thanks for sharing.

• inga007
    12 years ago

Simply love Symphony's form and the colour on Barock. Love the red on Kocher red. Never seen White gold, it's a real beauty.
    Love your posting.

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you very much, The Bustopher, Amberroses and Inga!

The Bustopher, I have two plants of Symphony, both purchased from Heirloom Roses, they are still young and small. They bloom all right for me, taking into consideration their age and size.
    The problem is that I have them for two full years already and the are not growing much. I wish I could get a good size bareroot of Symphony.

Marina

• strawchicago z5
    12 years ago

Thank you for being generous with your pictures - I enjoy them all. Symphony is a classic - your pictures are very informative for future rose buyers. Many thanks.

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Lovely collection, Marina!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    12 years ago

These are all really lovely, and beautifully photographed. Symphony especially caught my attention, a really beautiful yellow that isn't often seen. Thank you for the gorgeous pictures.

Ingrid

• lesmc
    12 years ago

I wish I could walk thru your garden. It must be heaven!! I would love to know more about The Alexandra Rose. I love singles and this one is so sweet. I get so excited when I see your posts, your photos are so beautiful. Some day, I just might knock on your door and beg a tour! Ha!! Thanks for posting. Lesley

• kstrong
    12 years ago

Symphony is one of the MOST floriforous Austins here. Great rose. Mine is grafted however, so I can't comment on how it does own root.

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks a lot, everybody!

Lesley, my The Alexandra Rose needs transplanting to another spot - it's got squished by neighboring roses, so I can not give you a good report on the bush shape. As for the flowers, they are very pretty, come in small clusters. They fade quite fast, too. Overall, a very lovely rose.

{{gwi:1205389}}

I also like roses with single flowers and one of my favorite single Austin rose is Heavenly Rosalind. I can not say enough how pretty it is. The blooms also come in clusters, petals are nicely rounded and colors are very pleasing.

{{gwi:1287136}}

{{gwi:1287137}}

{{gwi:1287139}}

Another single-flowered favorite of mine is Lyda Rose. Incredibly charming, with lots of flowers, nice and bushy.

{{gwi:1287141}}

{{gwi:1266797}}

{{gwi:1287143}}

{{gwi:1266782}}

If you ever are in Richmond, VA area, just let me know and I will be happy to invite you to my garden! :))

Marina

• kathy9norcal
    12 years ago

Fantastic photos of beautiful roses. I am so glad to know someone else loves Symphony like I do.

• lesmc
    12 years ago

Marina, Thank you for the additional single flower suggestions and pictures. Food for thought during a long winter. Thanks for the garden invitation...One never knows where I might be someday. Many thanks....Lesley

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES