Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mashamcl

The Last of Summer

mashamcl
13 years ago

This is making me sad a little... However short our winters are, a few months without roses are hard, especially in February. It has cooled down a bit, and the colors and fragrance have been wonderful. I have been cutting a lot of bouquets and leaving some roses undeadheaded for hips (Heritage, all rugosas, Regensberg, the Imposter and Francis Dubreuil are especially good hip-setters).

A late-summer jungle in the back (the roses which you mostly can't see are Angel Face, Julia Child, Violet Carson and Hermann Lindecke)

{{gwi:1287312}}

Violet Carson

{{gwi:1287313}}

Sweet Pea, a beautiful poly from Burlington Roses, and very fragrant

{{gwi:1287314}}

Last cluster of Heritage

{{gwi:1287315}}

William Shakespeare finishing up its fall flush

{{gwi:1287316}}

Gruss an Aachen looking very autumnal, it shows its best color in the fall

{{gwi:1287317}}

Old Korbel Gold, a found HT with a very variable color that is sometimes pure yellow, sometimes mostly orange, sometimes a bi-color like this. Very strong fragrance

{{gwi:1287318}}

A close-up of Violet Carson. The blooms open very well, always great form, fragrant and clean.

{{gwi:1287319}}

Regensberg usually blooms right into the winter despite not being deadheaded

{{gwi:1287320}}

Sheila's Perfume - a very vigorous grower for me, and great fragrance

{{gwi:1287321}}

Masha

Comments (24)

• jon_z6b
    13 years ago

all very beautiful. superb selection.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    13 years ago

Ooooooh so beautiful! I really need to get me Heritage. I love them all. Thanks for sharing, Judy

• dove_song
    13 years ago

Just dreeeeamy!! Thanks! :O)

Debbie

• bethnorcal9
    13 years ago

Aw maaan! These are gorgeous photos Masha!! Love that VIOLET CARSON! I notice yours nods like mine. I have yet to see a bloom in the upright position. Love it anyway tho.

• organicgardendreams
    13 years ago

Wonderful roses and photography, Masha! Thanks for posting!

I have to say that I am usually not into yellow roses but the coloration of Old Korbel Gold is really fascinating! My favorite of the bunch that you posted today!

Christina

• inga007
    13 years ago

What a treat for me.
    Thank you. Lovely fotos

• mashamcl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you!

Beth, my VC always nods too. The plant at the Heritage is spreading and wide. It is wonderful to have it spill over the retaining wall. I love mine!

Christina, I love OKG too even though I still can't figure out what color it is:-). How is your Hoag House Cream?

Masha

• canadian_rose
    13 years ago

I've given up on Hertiage. I've yet to see a bloom. I've bought it 3 times (what with the move, etc.). I'll just live vicariously through your pictures!! :)

Sweet Pea is stunning!!! Wow!!! So pretty!!

Carol

• mashamcl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, Carol, and I am sorry about your Heritage.

Masha

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

Eye candy yikes! Love the lavender penstemon with the pink and yellow roses.

Innovative shots! You're setting the bar too high.

• mashamcl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, iris_gal!

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Your color combinations in the first two photos are so pretty. I'm going to copy you.
    I try not to look at photos of Heritage because I am afraid I will buy it and it will hate the heat here. But Regensberg- what a stunning flower! I love the vibrant color and the white center.
    Renee

• sweetmichelia
    13 years ago

All your pictures have beautiful color, lighting and detail, what kind of camera do you have can I ask?

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    13 years ago

Great photos!

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

Your roses are gorgeous----Thanks so much!

Florence

• mashamcl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you!

Renee, I am flattered, you are a far better garden designer than I am.

Masha

• organicgardendreams
    13 years ago

My Hoag House Cream is down to one stick. I don't know why or what happened, but suddenly two canes became brown and are dying off. At this point I am afraid that I will loose it. That would be really a shame.

Christina

• mnkitty
    13 years ago

Masha,
    What beautiful roses and excellent photography.
    Thank you,
    Kitty

• mashamcl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, Kitty.

Masha

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    13 years ago

It is rather sad to see the last of the roses, but what beauties they are. Shelia's Perfume is such a pretty blend. So glad you posted a picture of her.

• lesmc
    13 years ago

I so enjoyed your garden. Your roses are so beautiful. I have never heard of Sweet Pea and this rose is outstanding! I cut three large bouquets today as we are having below freezing temps tonight. It is SO sad to say good bye to my roses. Keep pictures coming. It helps us to get thru our long winters. You have a beautiful garden. Lesley

• sanrosa
    13 years ago

Thank you for the lovely photos. I especially like the closeup of Violet Carson. Outstanding photograph! All your photos are superb.
    you are making me long for spring already.
    Sandra

• mashamcl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you.

• paulieinct
    13 years ago

I love your jungle. Stunning pix, especially 'Heritage' and 'Regensberg'.