Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy9norcal

More late roses--and a creepy spider--argh

kathy9norcal
12 years ago

Just a few more hangers on. Cold is creeping up on us.

Vavoom, current bloom and bush

Silver Star, a fast opener, with Graham Thomas, Vavoom, and Hot Romance in background

Evilyn, with whom I have a love/hate relationship, in front of:

Charles Aznavour is what it was called when I got it.

Sultry blooms

Summer Fashion--This bush is getting no sun now, so this is what I am seeing!

Tuscan Sun is back

St. Patrick has had his best year.

Princess Marianna, a low growing bush that loves to bloom

and now, only if you dare to look,

No nightmares!

Kathy

Comments (10)

• Krista_5NY
    12 years ago

Beautiful pic of Charles Aznavour.

I love Evelyn, that's a delightful pic with Charles Aznavour in the background.

Amazing spider pic, great close up.

• inga007
    12 years ago

Lovely blooms, as always.
    I noticed a few roses having that kind of speckling, on their outer petals, but not so much from lack of sun, but rather the colder weather here.
    Evelyn is looking a little "peachy"in colour.
    Silver star looks great with Vavoom and Graham Thomas.

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Lovely roses! At least you're getting blooms on your Summer Fashion. I didn't get a single one this year. It's moved out to the new bed now so I hope it likes it better out there.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    12 years ago

Bwahahahaha.....love the spider!! So halloweeny!!! Love the roses sooo much. I need the cold for some rest but hate the cold because it lets my roses rest. Bad me!! Thanks for sharing, Judy

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    12 years ago

Kathy great rose pics and I love the spider pic!

• strawchicago z5
    12 years ago

That "Silver Star" is incredible, a good blue color is hard to find. What part of Evelyn that you love, and which part do you hate? Here I hate Mary Rose all the way for its wicked thorns (I still hold a grudge for her pricking me!).

It's so nice to see loaded bushes from sunny California. Here in our cold zone we have so little sun that I do my "happy dance" over one single bloom.

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

Great showing with Vavoom

• kathy9norcal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Strawberryhill, I love Evelyn's photogenic blooms. But it has very long canes with blooms at the tips only. Sometimes they open with lots of brown spotting--thrips maybe? There are long spaces between flushes. I think it would be better as a climber so the canes could be horizontal. When it is good, it is very good. It just doesn't preform regularly.

• TNY78
    12 years ago

Your pictures just got me excited about having Vavoom and St Patrick on order for spring! They are stunning! I hope they perform as well in my garden!

~Tammy

• kathy9norcal
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tammy, Vavoom took off right away. No need to wait for this rose.
    St. Pat, on the other hand, needed patience. I got a not-so-hot bareroot at Cosco and it took several years to really come into its own. It was worth the wait. It looks great next to purple Route 66.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH