Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_dark_lady

Another bunch of October blooms

the_dark_lady
12 years ago

Oh, what a beautiful day it is today! Warm, but not hot. Light breeze, lots of sunshine. I wish our Fall like this will last till Christmas! :)

Please take a look at the roses I photographed today.

Clement's 'The Impressionist' is getting prettier with age (one week old bloom)

{{gwi:1205396}}

Not so often mentioned Austin's rose 'Potter and Moore' is a reliable bloomer in my garden

{{gwi:1287506}}

Schloss Ippenburg, very large blooms, good disease resistance

{{gwi:1205835}}

'Gentle Hermione' under the canopy of Mimosa tree 'Summer Chocolate'

{{gwi:1198766}}

Heritage

{{gwi:1199391}}

Fully opened flower of 'Sans Souci'

{{gwi:1287509}}

Well Being

{{gwi:1287510}}

Enormously large bloom of 'Mermaid'. Note the beautiful foliage

{{gwi:1287511}}

Wonderful, vigorous Hybrid Rugosa by Austin - 'Snowdon'

{{gwi:1287513}}

Deeply cupped blooms of 'Chaucer'

{{gwi:1287514}}

'Anny Duperey' - I've never ever experienced such a strong lemon fragrance!!

{{gwi:1287516}}

My all time favorite 'Windermere'

{{gwi:1287518}}

{{gwi:1287520}}

Astrid Grafin von Hardenberg with a background of volunteer tomato plant :)))

{{gwi:1287522}}

'Tess of the d'Urbervilles' with Persicaria

{{gwi:1287525}}

Very pretty Poulsen rose 'Lea Renaissance'. She reminds me of 'Gertrude Jekyll' for some reason

{{gwi:1287528}}

{{gwi:1287531}}

Kordes' 'Queen of Hearts'

{{gwi:1287533}}

Closeup of 'Munstead Wood' early in the morning

{{gwi:1287535}}

Sorry for the long post. I hope you enjoyed seeing my photos.

Marina

Comments (12)

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Of course we enjoy seeing them, Marina! They're all lovely!

• TNY78
    12 years ago

Beautiful as always! Astrid Grafin von Hardenberg is remarkable! I don't think I've ever since that rose before. Also, The Impresionist looking that great after numurous days is wonderful...guess its thanks to the cooler days lately!

On another note, I have to tell you that your pictures of Munstead Wood inspired me to place an order with David Austin this morning..hehe! It was part of one of the specials where you get six roses at reduced price and free shipping...so how could I possibly pass that up?? :)

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    12 years ago

You have a bunch of nice pictures. No need to apologize for a long post. The Queen of Hearts is pretty. I think it begs to be put with Ace of Hearts/Asso di Cuori and King of Hearts as a group. Would that be an option? Thanks for sharing.

• lesmc
    12 years ago

Wow!!! Once again, I am in love with a few of your roses. I`ll start with Queen of Hearts,and Astrid . Both are so beautiful. I will be looking both of these roses up for more information. Thank you, Marina.

• mantis__oh
    12 years ago

Your pictures are as artistic as your arrangements--wonderfully framed, interesting perspective, and marvelous clarity (with every dew drop showing). And realistic--like the spent flowers of Windermere; no artificial primping. Lea Renaissance, Schloss Ippenburg, and Potter and Moore were among those that caught my eye.

May I ask the camera you use? Also, what fungicide do you use?

One caveat: Queen of Heart here has been quite small, usually doesn't open well, and is a demon for black spot.

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you very much, everybody!!!

Mantis, I use Nikon D90 camera. I HAVE TO learn this thing - all I can do is to push a button. That's a shame.
    I am very happy with this camera but knowing it better, I am sure, will help a lot.

As for fungicide, I use none. Nada. Queen of Hearts here is huge and, yes, it does have black spot, too. I was so tired of huge bush with sick leaves that I pruned it rather hard sometime in July. The rose grew to its usual proportions but new foliage is very clean so far.

Marina

• strawchicago z5
    12 years ago

I just want to grab Windermere and smell that baby. It's on my MUST-list for next year. Your Impressionist is the most beautiful I have seen - looking so good one week old. Your Tess is so pretty I'll forgive it for lack of fragrance. I like your Chaucer, Ann Duperey, and Lea Renaissance color.

It takes a lot of work to pull the sod, put in the edging to make more rose gardens - but your pictures truly inspire me to do the hard work. Many thanks. You are right about chopping all the black-spot for clean new growth, a large rose grower did the same successfully.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    12 years ago

Oh my goodness!! They are all so pretty, each and every one of them. Isn't Windermere so yummy!!! I love your shot of Munstead too. Good gravy, like I said, I love them all!! Judy

• inga007
    12 years ago

Wow! That is eye candy. Lovely blooms.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    12 years ago

Marina, your post could have been much longer and I would have loved it. What an assortment of beautiful roses. I also have Potter and More and love the blooms, although since it's a very young rose I'm pinching off most of them. I hope to have Chaucer again some day although it's not easy to find. Thank you so much for this treat!

Ingrid

• Krista_5NY
    12 years ago

Potter and Moore is really lovely. Thanks for sharing.

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

Gorgeous too many gorgeous roses to count, lol! I feel like I'm walking into a Palace of roses, hehe, at Versailles in its height of rose-glory! And yes, as Ingrid says, please pile on the ballroom roses; and add 50 more Please!

And hurray, no fungicides? I just emailed my friend Jim! He is struggling to find no-spray roses and has a nightmare on his hands with all the horrid weather he's been getting. He used to have pristine, super-healthy roses, so he's trying to re-vamp and change out his roses too! So I may have to ask your opinions on some of the roses. (He only like purples and intense colors- no pale pinks or whites or yellows- he doesn't want yellow to fade)....

He's been very hard to help shop for...So many requirements like prolific blooms, continual rebloomer, can't be taller than 5' and the limited color selections. So I'm pretty stumped! All the best of my roses are too tall!!!!! and they have normal hybrid tea flushes (4-5 weeks). But even those 4 weeks are too long for him and neither does he like the hybrid tea bush form either.

But back to the roses at hand, Stunning, Marina!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting