Return to the Rose Gallery Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Neglected old memorial rose garden

Posted by northtexasdude 7b (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 25, 12 at 16:53

Right now for work I am temporarily living in a little old town in West Texas. Recently I found the city's memorial rose garden. Currently it is in a sad state, the irrigation hoses broken in pieces, overgrown weeds, dead roses and no name labels. Even with the messy state it is in, I find this old rose gardens beautiful, especially with the old rock walls borders. If I could pickup this garden and rock walls and move it to my real house I would.
Anyways, today I found some blooms and just thought I would share them.
Even in a state of neglect, there is beauty to an old rose garden.

I love the 1920's rock walls:
Photobucket

Overgrown weeds and half-dead roses, but oh the potential!:
Photobucket

Fragrant red. Crystler Imperial?:
Photobucket

Beautiful buttery yellow. No fragrance:
Photobucket

The picture doesn't show the yellow interior, but this large rose bush looks to be Hot Cocoa. This surprises me since rose is a fairly recent variety:
Photobucket

A very large, chiffon pink bloom with a medium old rose fragrance:
Photobucket

Hope you enjoyed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Neglected old memorial rose garden

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 25, 12 at 19:59

How lovely and sad at the same time. Maybe you could give it a little TLC?!

o

It looks like someone cared a lot about the garden and then no one did anymore. It is really sad. The roses look pretty good despite the neglect. I hope some rosy gardeners find it again someday and bring it back to its former glory.

Maybe if you posted the name of the town someone living nearby will be motivated to go and tend it?

o

Its Alpine, TX. I am actually tempted to contact the parks department and ask if it is ok for me plant some of my potted roses that aren't making the cut in my garden.

o

I love those old walls too!! I would love to have them in my yard.
Carol

o

• Posted by TNY78 7a-East TN (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 29, 12 at 20:32

I have the urge to get in there and clean it up!!! I wish it were closer to me :)

Tammy

o

A lovely and special place, thanks for sharing.

o

Oh my --how sad---I love the stone walls---and that beautiful deep red rose looks very healthy even with all the neglect

wouldn't it be wonderful if a group of rose lovers could adopt this place-----
How far are you from the Antique Rose Emporium ?maybe you could ask Mike Shoup for some suggestions
Good Luck
Florence

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Gallery Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here