Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northtexasdude

Neglected old memorial rose garden

northtexasdude
11 years ago

Right now for work I am temporarily living in a little old town in West Texas. Recently I found the city's memorial rose garden. Currently it is in a sad state, the irrigation hoses broken in pieces, overgrown weeds, dead roses and no name labels. Even with the messy state it is in, I find this old rose gardens beautiful, especially with the old rock walls borders. If I could pickup this garden and rock walls and move it to my real house I would.

Anyways, today I found some blooms and just thought I would share them.

Even in a state of neglect, there is beauty to an old rose garden.

I love the 1920's rock walls:

Overgrown weeds and half-dead roses, but oh the potential!:

Fragrant red. Crystler Imperial?:

Beautiful buttery yellow. No fragrance:

The picture doesn't show the yellow interior, but this large rose bush looks to be Hot Cocoa. This surprises me since rose is a fairly recent variety:

A very large, chiffon pink bloom with a medium old rose fragrance:

Hope you enjoyed.

Comments (7)

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

How lovely and sad at the same time. Maybe you could give it a little TLC?!

• amberroses
    11 years ago

It looks like someone cared a lot about the garden and then no one did anymore. It is really sad. The roses look pretty good despite the neglect. I hope some rosy gardeners find it again someday and bring it back to its former glory.

Maybe if you posted the name of the town someone living nearby will be motivated to go and tend it?

• northtexasdude
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Its Alpine, TX. I am actually tempted to contact the parks department and ask if it is ok for me plant some of my potted roses that aren't making the cut in my garden.

• canadian_rose
    11 years ago

I love those old walls too!! I would love to have them in my yard.
    Carol

• TNY78
    11 years ago

I have the urge to get in there and clean it up!!! I wish it were closer to me :)

Tammy

• Krista_5NY
    11 years ago

A lovely and special place, thanks for sharing.

• zeffyrose
    11 years ago

Oh my --how sad---I love the stone walls---and that beautiful deep red rose looks very healthy even with all the neglect

wouldn't it be wonderful if a group of rose lovers could adopt this place-----
    How far are you from the Antique Rose Emporium ?maybe you could ask Mike Shoup for some suggestions
    Good Luck
    Florence

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations