Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mashamcl

Some Fall Roses

mashamcl
13 years ago

I have been too busy to take pictures and post recently but I finally found some time today. All last week I did hose duty trying to keep everything watered in the heat wave. Amazingly some roses had enough sense to delay their flush till the weather cooled off:-).

This old rose came with the house when we bought it four years ago. I think it is Just Joey. Its graft union has long wooded over and all the growth is coming up from two basal canes. I have meant to dig it out all this time and haven't even fertilized it once and I think now I am going to keep for awhile:-)

{{gwi:337865}}

{{gwi:1288826}}

{{gwi:1288827}}

My two William Shakespeares are just beginning their flush

{{gwi:1288828}}

A cluster of Regensberg

{{gwi:1288829}}

Hoag House Cream is new to me this year and I am very impressed. A very willing bloomer, no balling despite a pretty high petal count, very strong fragrance and a nice finish. What more could one wish?

{{gwi:1288830}}

Dame Edith Helen. Mine is not a shy bloomer, the fragrance is amazing, and it gives me perfect blooms every time

{{gwi:1288831}}

Some hips on Purple Pavement

{{gwi:1288832}}

April in Paris

{{gwi:1288833}}

Sophie's Perpetual

{{gwi:1288834}}

Elle and a noid looking into my little son's bedroom window

{{gwi:1288835}}

Nancy Lee - a new rose I bought this past winter. This is the first time some blooms actually opened (the rest balled and balled). Sickly and not especially vigorous so far, I'll see if it improves next year

{{gwi:1288837}}

My neighbor trying to smother my climbing Cecille Brunner with morning glory:-(. Cecille couldn't care less but I am sure tired of getting rid of runners...

{{gwi:1288838}}

The unfading and uncrisping Trumpeter

{{gwi:1288839}}

Secret Garden Musk Climber prettified by leaf-cutter bees

{{gwi:1288840}}

Fragrant Masterpiece

{{gwi:1288841}}

Imagine

{{gwi:1288842}}

Eugene de Beauharnais

{{gwi:1288843}}

First bloom on baby Isabella Sprunt newly arrived from Chamblee's

{{gwi:1288844}}

Hermann Lindecke

{{gwi:1288845}}

The Imposter

{{gwi:1288846}}

Another baby, Cynthia Brooke. So far a good bloomer and fragrant

{{gwi:1288847}}

{{gwi:1288848}}

Janet

{{gwi:1288849}}

Pat Austin

{{gwi:1288850}}

Lady Hillingdon

{{gwi:1288851}}

Souvenir de la Malmaison, a little pinker than usual

{{gwi:1288852}}

Comments (13)

• iris_gal
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What a show Just Joey's 2 canes are putting on. I love the unique salmon color it has here.

Great shots! I'm off to HMF for more info on your yummy oldies.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

You have such unique and beautiful roses. Hoag House Cream is really lovely; I've been wondering how it looks in a "real garden". Thanks for these great photos.

Ingrid

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    13 years ago

So many beautiful ones its hard to pick a favorite. Boy that Just Joey is really putting on a show for you. Mine are starting to bud up again now the heat is gone, gone!! Thanks for sharing all your lovelies! Judy

• C Schaffner
    13 years ago

What wonderful pictures. I enjoyed every one. I'm thinking about getting the imposter. It is so unusual. I like the wierd ones. Kinda like me!

• dove_song
    13 years ago

Fabulous photos and assortment of roses!! Thanks! :)

Debbie

• flaurabunda
    13 years ago

Lovely variety, Masha. I didn't want the pictures to end!
    ---Laura

• rootygirl
    13 years ago

These pics are just gorgeous. There are some rose varieties here that I have never seen. Now I want that Hoag House Cream--that's the best picture I have seen of it. Thanks for the eye candy and inspiration.

• sanrosa
    13 years ago

I really enjoyed these photos. You sure have a photographic knack! Everything looks so fresh and clean and fragrant. I would love to see some more of your garden shots, too. I always like to see how the rose bushes look and grow, like your exquisite Just Joey bush shot.
    Sandra

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Your photo of Pat Austin just did me in.
    But I have no place for it! I must find a way to get rid of Mikey's lawn...

Renee

• mnkitty
    13 years ago

Masha,
    I woke up to the 1st frost of the season. So, of course I came here. I'm so glad I did. Your pictures and roses are so pretty. I made the mistake of showing my middle child these pictures. She insists I buy her a Pat Austin even though I have no idea where that color will go. Truthfully, I'm thrilled she's interested in roses. I guess we'll have to start a couple new gardens next spring. Good think my husband won't see this.
    Thanks for the inspiration,
    Kitty

• mashamcl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you. I am glad you liked my pictures, and I enjoyed reading everyone's comments.

Pelicanhead, I like the Imposter. I don't deadhead, and it has hips and blooms at the same time. The hips are pretty and last through the winter.

Renee, I think you said that about Pat before:-). The blooms are fragrant, and the color is rich but they don't last...

Kitty, good luck with your new garden. It is great when the kids get interested in gardening. My 5-year old calls every plant he sees a rose:-).

Masha

• paulieinct
    13 years ago

Splendid job Masha. Love especially 'Just Joey', 'Imagine' and 'Cynthia Brooke'.

• hilly_blue
    13 years ago

Loved your postings - can't decide which is the most beautiful. Thanks!

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!