Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tny78

Fall Blooms...

TNY78
12 years ago

I'm guessing that these are going to be some of the last good blooms I'll get for the year since we've had some nights in the low 40's already (looking forward to spring!!) I'm going to enjoy them while I can!!

~Tammy

About Face

{{gwi:1289016}}

Angel Bells (Excuse my hand, but its the first bloom she's produced since her late summer planting, so she's very low to the ground still!)

{{gwi:1289018}}

Golden Princess

{{gwi:1289020}}

Balinda's Dream: Having some VERY full blooms this fall!

{{gwi:1289022}}

Green Rose: You either love it hate it!

{{gwi:1289024}}

Hannah Gordon

{{gwi:1289026}}

Julia Child with a honey bee

{{gwi:1289028}}

Milwaukee's Calatrava: Very hardy and seems to prefer the cold to the heat!

{{gwi:1289029}}

Paw Maw

{{gwi:1289030}}

Permenant Wave: By far one of the most difficult roses to photograph (I have yet to get a good picture), but yet I love it in person! Such unique buds and blooms!

{{gwi:1289031}}

Queen Elizabeth

{{gwi:1289032}}

White Koster: New this year! I added the 7 Dwarfs Roses from DeRuiter Inovations and I'm using this as my 'Snow White" in the middle! So far its out performing every dwarf!

{{gwi:1289033}}

Last but not least: Sparrieshoop! Not an outstanding bloom...but I posted it to ask what those little yellow spotted beetles are? They are all over all of my roses and I don't know if they're harmful or helpful?

{{gwi:1289034}}

Comments (15)

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Really lovely blooms, Tammy! I like the Peppermint Wave! The other one I really like is Angel Bells. I think your beetle is a cucumber beetle and yes, they do chew on roses so I'd get rid of them if you can.

• the_dark_lady
    12 years ago

Tammy, you have such a variety of roses in your garden!
    Beautiful photos, Belinda's Dream, White Koster, Julia Child are my favorites.
    Marina

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

I have yet to figure out a way to get rid of cucumber beetles without spraying--which I don't particularly want to do. So I leave them and try to ignore them. They actually have never caused major damage. I find them mainly unpleasant to look at. Maybe some kind of beneficial comes along and eats them? I don't know--but they go away sooner or later.

Kate

• TNY78
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info on the cucumber beetles. I know I really would rather not spray too, I love the fact that the bees come to the rose garden and buzz around, and I wouldn't want to do anything to harm them or the other helpful insects. Plus, I get quite a few very interesting spiders and tons of ladybugs...maybe they'll help with the control! I just know those cucumber beetles are everywhere right now...must be their season :)

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    12 years ago

You have some interesting pictures. The Paw Maw rose is quite pretty. I have also seen Sparrieshoop used in some arrangements at shows. It is delicate to look at, but quite effective. Those green spotted cucumber beetles are an absolute scourge in my garden. They are destructive, but I hope that nature's predators can help keep their numbers down. Thanks for sharing.

• inga007
    12 years ago

Loved all your photos. Belinda's Dream is outstanding with her many petals. Thanks for sharing

• Krista_5NY
    12 years ago

Great pics, I especially like Milwaukee's Calatrava.

• flaurabunda
    12 years ago

Wow, that Permanent Wave is something else! Very cool. Your picture of Milwaukee's Calatrava looks as pure as fresh snow, too.

Those darn cucumber beetles are here, also. They do minimal damage to the blooms, but more damage to me as the greatest danger seems to be risk of inhalation as I stick my face in a bloom.

• mantis__oh
    12 years ago

Paw Maw, Belinda's Dream, Hannah Gordon are my fave picks.

• mantis__oh
    12 years ago

Jeff, I think your unknown rose could be Buff Beauty. Looks very similar. Sorry to intrude on your post, Tammy; I really enjoyed the pics (as noted before).

• TNY78
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the wonderful comments! ...and mantis, its no problem, feel free to intrude any time :) I welcome the intertuptions! And Jeff...your pictures are beautiful as well! If your mystery rose is Buff Beauty thats great...I love my Buff Beauty!

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Lovely pics, Jeff, and I agree it looks like Buff Beauty.

• jclay321
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone. Is Buff Beauty a giant? Mine keeps growing and growing. Wanted to try grom on some type of support but not sure it will stay anchored. It's in the middle of a bed as I had planted thinking it was be Basye Blueberry. Too big to move, plus it really seems to thrive there.

• mantis__oh
    12 years ago

Buff Beauty is very sprawling--a vigorous grower, which fades quickly in heat.

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

Great roses! Love Paw Maw! and About Face looks vividly fantastic....

Tammy, lol, you need to come to Kansas where we are used to killer frosts. My roses will still keep on blooming in 28 degree weather so long as the temps rise up to 34-36 degrees during the day! It may slow down the rose from opening but they do open to the full ideal. Roses are tough, unless you get a tender tea, but even one of my "fragile" zone 7 baby bands, Special Occasion, for example would be one of the most prolific bloomers at that 36 degree daytime temp... I think warmer zone folks don't get to experience how hardy roses can be....

Cheers, you got PLENTY of bloom-time left!